Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Barnes & Noble for UK customers

I have purchased only one book for my new Glowlight because I have no confidence in the B&N bookbuying system.

The one book I did purchase downloaded correctly to my Nook Glowlight device but it just will not sync to the Nook For PC app on my computer. Therefore I have no way of backing it up. When I go to the B&N website through a browser on my PC the book is not there either. So the book is on the device only.

I thought I would try to buy a book from the Nook For PC app and download it to there but each time I am refused because I do not have a USA address or credit card.

My account details are registered correctly and state quite clearly on their website that I live in the UK and I have a UK credit card so why am I finding it impossible.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Have you tried signing in to the uk.nook.com site, does your book appear there?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Visited UK.Nook.com also

I have been to UK.Nook.com and it's the same there.

I spent some time in the chat window with someone trying to sort it out. After about 45 minutes trying they just said they believe that any apps for the UK Glowlight don't show the library as yet but they are working on it.

After the chat window disconnected I thought about it and wondered why the book does not appear in my library on their website either. I have since emailed them to ask why.

What I really don't understand is, although the book appears on my Nook Glowlight and I can read it, when I connect the device to Windows I cannot see it in Windows Explorer. I can only see my own books I have sideloaded.

I suspect that when I purchased the book this came down as a US purchase because their website was problematic. It allowed me to enter country of residence as UK and my correct UK address partially but then would not finalise the transaction because it kept insisting that I entered a State which were all USA States with no other options. Although it now shows my correct UK account -- address and credit card are UK. When I look at the order details for the book it says dispatched.

Any ideas? If I de-register and register again I am going to lose the only book I have ever purchased from B&N. And I shall not be buying any more until they sort it out.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Moonraker
Addict

Inadequate calatogue

I have just been to the uk.Nook.com site again and looked at the books.

Correct me if I am wrong but, compared to Amazon UK, there seems to be a very small catalogue of books available to the UK. And they don't let you download them to Nook for PC app.

If this is so, how insulting to UK readers.

Last edited by Moonraker; 11-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
What I really don't understand is, although the book appears on my Nook Glowlight and I can read it, when I connect the device to Windows I cannot see it in Windows Explorer. I can only see my own books I have sideloaded.
B&N partitions the memory of the Nooks into an area where their purchased content is stored and where your sideloaded content is stored. They hide the partition where purchased content is stored and that's why you can't see it in Windows Explorer. I think it's annoying but that's the way it is.

The US website allows you to purchase books directly from it as well as view your library and download or delete books. That's how I get a backup of my purchases. I don't even have the Nook desktop software installed on my computer. Does the UK website not allow you to see your purchases in your account?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Moonraker
Addict

Hidden partition! I don't like my stuff stored in someone else's cloud. I prefer to back it up myself.

And if my experience of B&N's software is anything to go by then I am unlikely to trust them with mine.

I should think anyone better informed would avoid buying anything at all from them so they are shooting themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned.

What kind of world do we live in where corporations can hide what we have legally purchased?