Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Scribd on e-ink reader?

I have a Kindle Voyage and a Nook.

I really want an e-ink reader that will load the Scribd app. Is that just a dream?

The Onyx Boox is supposed to have a decent app market but I can't figure out what apps are available. Scribd has an Android app but would it load on any of the e-readers?

Thanks.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I believe the Onyx Boox readers are Android. If Scribd has an Android app, it should run on an Onyx. Kindle e-ink readers will not run Android apps. I haven't kept up with the Nook e-ink readers, but I don't think any of them will.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Thanks. I do have a Kindle Voyage and Nook e-reader. The experimental browser barely functions on the Kindle e-readers. I can't even load the Scribd website. The Nook e-reader is primitive compared to the Kindle e-readers. No apps or browser. It's a rather barebones reading experience.

I've been looking at the Onyx and will likely take the plunge soon. It looks like a great device. The boox website doesn't say much about the Google Play app market on their devices.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #4
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I can run Scribd on a unlocked Sony RP1, but the experience isn't good because you can't disable page turn animation in the app, which makes page turning a pain.

What I do is to access Sribd on the ereader's web browser, which eliminate's the scrolling animation. But the font is too thin to my liking. Still, it's readable and may stop to be problem once you are emerged in a book.

I tried installing Scribd on a Onyx Boox i86ml but the app wouldn't run. Maybe the Android version is too low or something.

I am looking forward to installing Scribd on a Likebook Mars and see how it runs but mine is still in shipping and may not get here until next week. I am hoping its A2 refresh and contrast enhancing function will do something to make the Scribd app page turn more bearable.

Last edited by antistar; 10-02-2018 at 01:50 AM.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Last time I looked, the Scribd app for Android required a version higher than 4.3.1.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
ilyats
Connoisseur
ilyats doesn't litterilyats doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook Muses T78D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Last time I looked, the Scribd app for Android required a version higher than 4.3.1.
I got Scribd installed on Boyue Likebook Plus (Android 4.2.2). App version is listed as 7.8.1. However, Scribd website says it cannot be used on Nook Simple Touch (which has Android 2.something.)
ilyats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scribd