Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I use this on my Onyx Boox T68.

Home Switcher for Froyo - very helpful if you want to use a launcher app. It will list all launchers you have installed including your device's launcher. You can't see where you need to tap when it brings up the list, but just tap on the end of the line of the launcher you want. This allows you to have an Android launcher be the default when you tap the home button and still access the device's launcher.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know this is supposed to be what works, but I had trouble with this on my Onyx Boox T68 so I just wanted to let people know the problems I had.

ADW launcher - tried this one, but it seems to have caused "Unfortunately search has stopped" errors to pop up a lot. It also did not return you to where you were in an app if you went back to the home screen and tapped on the icon - it took you to the initial screen in the app which is a pain. Since Nova Launcher works so well, I'd advise not to use this one.
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anybody tested Bluefire Reader? That should work well on an eInk screen.
Did you miss post #8?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

AlReader - used on my Onyx Boox T68.

It has a setting specifically for eink devices, and if you set the Settings complexity to Professional you can increase the characters weight under the text settings for fonts. Version 1.45 has a problem where the settings for titles don't work, but hopefully it will be fixed. I am on 1.43 to avoid that and I did send the dev an email about it.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #20
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
My favorites so far are. Moon Reader+ and Smart launcher 2.

I was using Nova at first, but find Smart Launcher is perfect for my needs. You have a small circle of apps on the home screen and swipe over to see the widgets. I keep only 5 app on my home screen, but it's easy to add more. . I think my favorite part of it is the app drawer. I don't know too many with the horizontal configuration. Also the play store is available in each tab of the app drawer. I've installed it on my tablet now too. I like it enough that I bought it, but it's available for free, although I don't think the free one allows widgets. Also if you want to turn the back light on in t68, just double click on the button under. Boox. You don't need to go back to the stock launcher. Just an FYI for anyone having issues with that.

I also attacked an image of the big keyboard I use since I kept hiring the wrong buttons on the t68. I think it's called big button keyboard and it's free and adjustable.

The previously mentioned WiFi switch widget is also really useful, my fav is WiFi widget by Robert burger since it updates with info as you connect and tells you the network. I have 2 at home so I need to know which is being used for calibre companion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406294826588.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	125836Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406294841688.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	125837Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406294854139.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	125838
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #21
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
On my Onyx Boox T68, i use "Epub reader and Free epub Books as mai reader:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ownload.reader

It spports sideloaded fonts, themes, internal epub Css, fora and stardict dictionairies and more.
With "white bottom" it's perfect for reading.
I think i've at last found my personal killer app fore epub reading on android devices (i use it also on my nexus-5).

Another useful app is "Swapps! All apps", here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hiztech.swapps

Having a customizable app-launch bar with no need to go in home screen is very comfortable, during reading.

HP
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Golden Dict

Free, with ads (so turn off wifi). It integrates with Coolreader (and presumably other e-readers) and accepts dictionaries in .bgl format. Must-have for readers.

Last edited by Rizla; 08-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #23
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
AlReader - used on my Onyx Boox T68.

It has a setting specifically for eink devices, and if you set the Settings complexity to Professional you can increase the characters weight under the text settings for fonts. Version 1.45 has a problem where the settings for titles don't work, but hopefully it will be fixed. I am on 1.43 to avoid that and I did send the dev an email about it.
Version compiled specially for Onyx:

https://translate.google.ca/translat...-text=&act=url

I have not tested it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Version compiled specially for Onyx:

https://translate.google.ca/translat...-text=&act=url

I have not tested it.
I had to send my T68 back, but if it's anything like the version the T68 comes with (OReader I think), it's not worth it for me. It seems like Professional complexity setting is gone.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #25
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Mantano 2.5.18 works alright on InkBook (a.k.a. Boyue T61D) as long as page animations are turned off. You may want to turn off page border and bottom right navigation button to get some more screen space.

Make sure you get some nice font to read with. Droid Serif is great. (Just put it in Mantano's fonts folder on the device and create a new theme).

There are some small issues like half-invisible bookshelf menu or washed out grey colors here and there but reading ebooks is completely fine.

Instapaper is OK as long as you turn pagination on (it makes page-turning animation less intimidating for the device and enable volume settings in Inkbook's settings. Pocket on the other hand is a pain to use.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #26
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Great topic, well done Harry T, Purple lady and all!
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #27
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
[*] No general "chat", please. I'll delete any such messages.[/list]
Thanks!
exterminate exterminate
Old 06-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #28
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now that eInk Android tablets, such as the Onyx T68, are available, I though it would be useful to have a thread in which to summarise which Android apps work well on eInk devices. I'd like to request the following rules for the thread:
  • Please use a separate message for each app.
  • Please state which device you've tested on.
  • No general "chat", please. I'll delete any such messages.

Thanks!
Hi HarryT/Dalek
Sorry to flood with emails this thread,
I had an idea.
Why we do not attach some (also without audio)
Youtube video? I do not have eink android so I can t at the moment
Old 07-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #29
Lucien Didier
Lucien Didier began at the beginning.

Device: Energy eReader Pro +
KOReader

Nice interface for e-ink (clean and simple) and (very) good PDF reflow functionality. Unfortunately, although I'm using the stable version, it's not quite stable on my Energy Sistem Ereader Pro+.
Lucien Didier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:58 AM   #30
anarres
anarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the rough

Device: none yet
Could somebody tell me if this 2 apps work properly on onyx-android devices: kiwix (wikipedia offline) and this Offline Browser:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odroid.offline

Thanks
anarres is offline   Reply With Quote