Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #406
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimelespatates View Post
From what I remember, when I pressed "usb enable.sh", nothing specific happened except that, when I pressed return, the option to "start nickel" on the KSM start menu had disappeared,
This is expected behaviour. I order to see nickel and some other menu entries again, you would have to disable usb again.
Quote:
but the device didn't freeze at that point. When I plugged the device to my PC afterwards, it froze as always, though.
Does it freeze also, when you plug the device into the PC without first enabling usb?
Quote:
for the moment, as the ereader is frozen like I mentioned.
Did you see my remark on how to unfreeze the reader above. Hold the power button rather long 25 seconds or so in the off/on position, then release it. At this time the device should be powered off, even if you do not see a change at the screen. Now try to power the device on as usual.
You can also try the pin-hole at the back of the device.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 AM   #407
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokusha View Post
emmm, hi im a Chinese . So my grammar will happen some error,please forgiving me.
OK,when i install the ksm09 and update02.im so happy.but when i touch the wifi then i looked only three button(refresh,rutern,rutern home) and no ssid on my screen .i think the problem is the update,so i take the restore in my kobo.when the reinstall had completed.i can not search any ssid.i don't known what's happend.in koreader and initial system i can searched some ssid. my device is kobo h2o , not be h2o 2.
Sorry, I overlooked your post. Are you sure that you enter the wifi menu? I think the only screen that offers "refresh", "return" and "return home" is the one of the "battery check."
Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #408
jaimelespatates
jaimelespatates began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Does it freeze also, when you plug the device into the PC without first enabling usb?
Yes, once KSM is installed, it freezes systematically whenever plugged into a PC.

Quote:
Did you see my remark on how to unfreeze the reader above. Hold the power button rather long 25 seconds or so in the off/on position, then release it. At this time the device should be powered off, even if you do not see a change at the screen. Now try to power the device on as usual.
You can also try the pin-hole at the back of the device.
Yes, I saw it but I already know how to reboot a kobo device. When I say it's frozen, it's that I tried holding that power button for 10, 20, 30, 60 seconds and every single time nothing happens. I have also already tried the pin-hole at the back of the device several time, also holding it for various durations of time and it does nothing.
jaimelespatates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #409
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, once KSM is installed, it freezes systematically whenever plugged into a PC.
I don't think I can do anything for you. Maybe it is best to factory reset your device, and try the koreader installation with KFMon.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #410
jaimelespatates

Quote:
I don't think I can do anything for you. Maybe it is best to factory reset your device, and try the koreader installation with KFMon.
But do you think this is due to something specific about my device that interacts with KSM to create this problem, or is this a problem with KSM itself?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #411
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
But do you think this is due to something specific about my device that interacts with KSM to create this problem, or is this a problem with KSM itself?
My first thought would have been that there is a further mod installed that is incompatible with KSM and nickel. But from your descriptions it seems you did not install anything else. I can only admit that I have no idea how this problem is created.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #412
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
One idea I get it is that you maybe have partially corrupted SD card (I think your device uses SD card for memory, but not sure), but who know, I'm also not sure how factory restoring gets to target good portion, and installing KSM get bed portion of card.

Or I may be totally off here. But it is very strange, as KSM works for so many just fine, especially that it works for people with same device.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #413
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, for it to not react to a pinhole reset means it's got a serious conk on its poor little head.

I imagine you've already tried to mix'n match? Pinhole, then power button, that sort of thing?

On the off-chance it's something quirky like on some Kindles: make sure you do the pinhole reset when the device is *NOT* charging or plugged in to anything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #414
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Hi,

I have installed KSM on my Kobo Touch N905C, but when I plug it in the USB port of my PC (I have tried another computer too and the same thing happens), it freezes and the device is not recognised by the PC. I have performed a factory reset twice and each time the eareader works fine and is recognized by my PC but, when I reinstall KSM, the same problem comes back. The device unfreezes when I reboot it, but I can't install koreader on it or add any books, as that necessitates a USB connection.

I searched around on the internet and in this forum for a bit, but I haven't found anyone with a problem similar to mine, so hopefully someone here has a fix!

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I just saw this whole discussion now. I'm hoping my ideas may help shed some light on the situation.

What firmware version is the ereader running when you install KSM? (I apologize if I missed this while reading the previous pages.)
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #415
jaimelespatates

Quote:
One idea I get it is that you maybe have partially corrupted SD card (I think your device uses SD card for memory, but not sure)
No, the device doesn't have an SD card and uses onboard memory.

Quote:
But it is very strange, as KSM works for so many just fine, especially that it works for people with same device.
Yes, I have it installed on other devices and it works like a charm, it's unique to this single ereader apparently.

Quote:
Yeah, for it to not react to a pinhole reset means it's got a serious conk on its poor little head.
Yeah, it used to react to it and reboot, altough sometimes it would crash during reboot and necessitate another reboot, but now it doesn't even react to that or anything else.

Quote:
I imagine you've already tried to mix'n match? Pinhole, then power button, that sort of thing?
I haven't tried it, altough I tried the two in short intervals of time, but I've just tried now and nothing is happening.

Quote:
On the off-chance it's something quirky like on some Kindles: make sure you do the pinhole reset when the device is *NOT* charging or plugged in to anything.
It's not plugged into anything.

Quote:
What firmware version is the ereader running when you install KSM?
I'm pretty sure it's on the latest firmware, so 4.8.11073. I remember updating it, but I can't say with 100% certainty as it's currently still frozen.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #416
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you! I have corrected it.Good!

Could you please install the KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive (it contains the updated usbnet_toggle.sh). But first disable starting usbnet on power on, if you have not yet done so.

If the updated usbnet_toggle.sh does not work, please restart the device to get back to a neutral state and try to run the script in trace mode from the webinterface.
Code:
sh -x $ksmroot/scripts_intern/usb/usbnet_toggle.sh 2>&1
2 questions:
on windows, after enabling USBnet, the device should show up as a network adapter, right?

is there a way to log the output of the command to a file? right now the only device i can execute this from is the kobo itself, through nickel's browser, and i can't scroll in the textbox.

edit:

Steps taken:

turned off usbnet on boot
flashed the koboroot.tgz uncontrolled
started the device to KSM
usb > enable usbnet (screen flashes white once, no change on screen)
connect device to desktop computer via USB
nothing shows up on the computer

2nd try:
reboot
boot into nickel through KSM, start browser and go to 127.0.0.1:8087/rmc_test.html
execute
Code:
connect usb cable
nickel popup asks to connect, dismiss
nothing shows up on the computer

3rd try:
reboot
boot into nickel through KSM, start browser and go to 127.0.0.1:8087/rmc_test.html
execute
Code:
connect usb cable
nickel popup asks to connect, approve
device shows up as usb drive on computer

Last edited by CH23; 07-18-2018 at 05:34 AM.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #417
kodokusha
kodokusha began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Sorry, I overlooked your post. Are you sure that you enter the wifi menu? I think the only screen that offers "refresh", "return" and "return home" is the one of the "battery check."
i am sure that entered the wifi menu and I thinking i should offer a image to you.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gr7...ew?usp=sharing
kodokusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #418
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't rightly recall how Windows handles USBNet, so I can't be much help on that front, what I can say is that you do get the "USB Connected" popup in Nickel, even in USBNet mode (and I seem to remember clicking connect doesn't do anything, although I usually just dismiss it).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #419
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokusha View Post
i am sure that entered the wifi menu and I thinking i should offer a image to you.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gr7...ew?usp=sharing
Ok, I see. This is not the usb menu, but "wifi api scan.sh" in the usb menu. Please establish the initial connection to an unknown network with nickel. Once a network is known, you can connect with "wifi enable dhcp.sh".
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #420
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I don't rightly recall how Windows handles USBNet, so I can't be much help on that front, what I can say is that you do get the "USB Connected" popup in Nickel, even in USBNet mode (and I seem to remember clicking connect doesn't do anything, although I usually just dismiss it).
I guess clicking connect doesn't do anything under KFMon, because usr\local\Kobo\udev\usb will try to load the necessary modules for usb storage usage and fails. KSM overwrites usr\local\Kobo\udev\usb with a version that unloads the USBNet specific modules before it tries to connect the device as usb storage. So this approach cannot work on KSM.