Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Is there a way to automatically run certain plugins (like polish) when adding books?

Would love to know... so that I can make sure covers are all setup properly. If I forget to do this, then my covers don't work.

Also... is there a way to run certain plugins by default when books are added? I'd also love to have my page number plugin run, as well as a few others.

I store my Calibre library in dropbox and use calibre companion cloud connection to download to my devices.

Thanks!

Last edited by arooni; 01-03-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: tetsddd
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Would love to know... so that I can make sure covers are all setup properly. If I forget to do this, then my covers don't work.

Also... is there a way to run certain plugins by default when books are added? I'd also love to have my page number plugin run, as well as a few others.

I store my Calibre library in dropbox and use calibre companion cloud connection to download to my devices.

Thanks!
Not that I know of, at least within the GUI library manager.

You might be able to fashion something in a script, books can be added via the command line, and the polish plugin can be run from the command line - but I think it needs a book number which is created by the add.

Or maybe you could use an automation took like AutoHotKey on Windows or Automator on OSX.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont understand what youa re asking for. Runnign polish automatically on add will not setup covers, since the cover it will use will come from the book itself. So unless you first download/change the cover manually, running polish wont buy you anything.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
... make sure covers are all setup properly. If I forget to do this, then my covers don't work.

Also... is there a way to run certain plugins by default when books are added? I'd also love to have my page number plugin run, as well as a few others. ...
For me it sounds like my own wish to get certain steps automated.

After importing books I run several search-and-replace, pick up missing metadata, convert, count page, adjust cover to size xy, count authors, ....

Doing this one after the other is ok as Calibre is a wonderful tool.
Nevertheless getting some of that steps automated in a row is something I am interested as well.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
For me it sounds like my own wish to get certain steps automated.

After importing books I run several search-and-replace, pick up missing metadata, convert, count page, adjust cover to size xy, count authors, ....

Doing this one after the other is ok as Calibre is a wonderful tool.
Nevertheless getting some of that steps automated in a row is something I am interested as well.
I have seen a wish for similar automation several times in the past. I also would like such a facility whether it is included in Calibre, done as a plug in or by using some third party freeware.

If someone has managed it using some third party freeware please post details.

Thanks
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am at a loss to understand how running a set of tools before you have had time to review that, which the tool is supposed to make use of.

Most metadata as provided, is junk, or at least weak.
(rare, is the Series metadata landing in the correct place, let alone be consistent)
Considering the level of TLC that some folk here enforce , mine would be considered weak. And I would never consider bucket load pre-processing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am at a loss to understand how running a set of tools before you have had time to review that, which the tool is supposed to make use of.
Hi the ducks

I would agree about running a set of tools before reviewing an ebook is not sensible. If you understood me to mean that from my post then I am sorry I did not make myself clear.

I was thinking of along the lines of a macro? or something that could:-

1. open a specified file in the Calibre editor and perform a number of set actions ending in checking the book format.
2. After correcting any errors are corrected it should detect the editor has been closed and automatically run Polish and on the Polished file being saved it should run Modify ePub.
3. On the Modified file being saved it should open the file in Sigil.
4. etc.

I think something along these lines is what other posters in earlier threads were requesting/hoping for.

I have little interest in handcrafting an ebook with perfect HTML. I just want to change the HTML in my ebooks in way that suits me and I think looks good on my eReaders. I have a lot of books to check and format so I would use anything that can speed the process up.

I know this is a lot to hope for which is why I wondered if anyone had used a freeware program to achieve this level of automation. Though if Kovid was to build such automation into Calibre or someone wrote a plug in that did the job I would not complain.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 01-04-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Corrected Grmmar
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote