Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
Shell1711
Shell1711 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Digit rights management

Hope someone can help as I have been trying to fix this for weeks now.

For the last 2 months, I have been unable to open new (and one previously downloaded) books. I always get the message:
"The content is protected by digital rights management (DRM). Do you want to continue for authorization to open the content?" When I click yes and put in my Adobe ID, the same message comes up - every single time. I never had this problem before. The books would automatically sync to my Reader without putting in my Adobe ID.

I have contacted Booktopia and Kobo Books for help and they have been kind enough to give me ongoing advice and to reset and unlock the books I bought from them to allow me to download them again, but the same problem keeps happening. I have deauthorised and reauthorised my PC and Reader a few times and also deauthorised and reauthorised my PC on Adobe Digital Editions (v.3). I have even reinstalled my Reader software and done a hard reset. Nothing has worked. If I delete the book from my Reader and try to download it again, I get "this book has already been downloaded by another user". I can open the Kobo books on my PC using their software but not the Reader software.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this or is my Reader beyond repair?

Thanks
Shell1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Did you get the book from Kobo? If so, and you don't see "Blackberry" in the list of "Read On" devices on the webpage for that book, it won't be readable on the Sony (since it's not using standard ePub DRM).
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Shell1711

I don't think that's the problem. I have bought heaps of books from Kobo and they have all sync'd perfectly and opened. However, I bought 3 in December from Kobo which had the DRM message. Once they reset and unlocked the books I could open 2 but not the 3rd. When I try to sync that one again, it just says it has been downloaded by another user and won't allow it.

I have had problems with books from Booktopia but the Sony is compatible with their books too. Sony spent 1 1/2 hours with me on the phone trying to sort it out but believe the problem is Adobe. I have tried several times over the last 3 days to contact Adobe's Chat but it is always unavailable, despite them saying on their website that it is available 24/7.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell1711 View Post
I have deauthorised and reauthorised my PC and Reader a few times and also deauthorised and reauthorised my PC on Adobe Digital Editions (v.3).
This is just a wild guess, but possibly the use of ADE 3 could be your problem, as the PRS-T1 is a pretty old model and ADE 3 changed the DRM scheme, so maybe the firmware might not have gotten updated before Sony discontinued their lines.

There's this old thread in the News forum back when ADE 3.0 was released, where someone who claimed they'd worked on ADE said that books newly downloaded with 3 wouldn't be backwards-compatible with older 2.0-only compliant readers, or words to that effect. I don't know how accurate that turned out to be, but this is their post and the follow-up discussion, if it helps any.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
Shell1711

Thanks for this suggestion, however I have always used ADE 3 and managed to open one book before and read it with no problems. Now after all these adjustments, this book was first protected by DRM and now says it has been downloaded by another user (on a different account). This is the only book on my ADE bookshelf and it won't let me download it again, unlike most of the other books.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
oldhaggis
Enthusiast
oldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Sony T3, Oasis 2
Hi, I had similar problems,have 3 sony readers, persevere with adobe chat, I got a reply within minutes,when you get through they will hopefully help sort it out,sometimes (and I don't know why} you get a downloaded by other user,and other errors,on the good old sony reader! adobe reset all my id's,I also removed the reader software as they said this can cause problems,it's not really needed anymore,any drm books can be opened and stored on ADE on your pc for transfer to the reader.and with all other books I have calibre. Oh and it helps to upgrade to ADE.4.0.
Hope this helps.
oldhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 AM   #7
Shell1711

Thanks. I'll stick with trying to get through to Adobe Chat then. I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade to ADE 4 in case it doesn't work with a 3 year old Reader. Also there have been a lot of people complaining about that version on various forums. I'll wait until I can contact Adobe and get their advice - probably in a few months' time at the rate I'm going!

Tags
digital rights management, prs-t1