Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Kobo stock reader vs KOReader rendering

After having read a few threads in the forum I decided to make a screen showing how RMDSK and KOReader show full justified text. Red is RMDSK and black is KOReader:
https://imgur.com/a/Mw7XGxo
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It looks like kerning is working better with RMSDK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like kerning is working better with RMSDK.
To be honest they look pretty much the same.

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2023, 03:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
To be honest they look pretty much the same.

If you look closely, you can see some words have letters closer together in the RMSDK version due to better kerning.

There is a problem with hyphenation on a Kobo. I've fixed it. But you need to install a different hyphenation dictionary. Would you please do this and make another screen compare with the same text as you've done? Thanks.

The dictionary is here. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405 Unzip the contents of the ZIP file and put KoboRoot.tgz in the .kobo directory. Then you will have a better English hyphenation dictionary.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
After having read a few threads in the forum I decided to make a screen showing how RMDSK and KOReader show full justified text. Red is RMDSK and black is KOReader:
https://imgur.com/a/Mw7XGxo
Could you please post the images in a post (not a link to imgur).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you please post the images in a post (not a link to imgur).
Sure

Click image for larger version

Name:	result.png
Views:	239
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	204120
Old 10-04-2023, 04:43 PM   #7
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
If you look closely, you can see some words have letters closer together in the RMSDK version due to better kerning.

There is a problem with hyphenation on a Kobo. I've fixed it. But you need to install a different hyphenation dictionary. Would you please do this and make another screen compare with the same text as you've done? Thanks.

The dictionary is here. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405 Unzip the contents of the ZIP file and put KoboRoot.tgz in the .kobo directory. Then you will have a better English hyphenation dictionary.
I downloaded it (US-EN) and installed it and in principle the hyphens are the same. I don't know if something else needs to be done. Just copied the file and restarted.

The file in my Kobo is the same as in the package:
Code:
tar tvf KoboRoot.tgz
drwxr-xr-x kobo/kobo         0 2011-10-03 20:30 ./
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-05-28 23:49 ./usr/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-10-15 16:12 ./usr/local/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-10-15 16:12 ./usr/local/Kobo/
drwxr-xr-x build/build       0 2012-10-11 21:28 ./usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/
-rwxrwxrwx 0/0          335439 2020-07-04 23:03 ./usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_en.dic
Old 10-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
I downloaded it (US-EN) and installed it and in principle the hyphens are the same. I don't know if something else needs to be done. Just copied the file and restarted.

The file in my Kobo is the same as in the package:
Code:
tar tvf KoboRoot.tgz
drwxr-xr-x kobo/kobo         0 2011-10-03 20:30 ./
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-05-28 23:49 ./usr/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-10-15 16:12 ./usr/local/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-10-15 16:12 ./usr/local/Kobo/
drwxr-xr-x build/build       0 2012-10-11 21:28 ./usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/
-rwxrwxrwx 0/0          335439 2020-07-04 23:03 ./usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_en.dic
Do you think it may has to do with the styles in the book?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-05-21-38-07-543_org.koreader.launcher.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	204131

Last edited by jospalau; 10-05-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:11 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-05-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do you think it may has to do with the styles in the book?

Attachment 204131

You should remove all hyphenation code in CSS. Any webkit lines, any hyphen lines, and any Adobe lines. These are not needed.

Looking at the image again, I noticed something. The margins are not the same. The left margon on ePub is a fraction larger then KOReader. The right margin looks to be the same. So can you fix the left margins so they are the same? If you have to, set the left margin in CSS. But do not change the KOReader left margin. Change the ePub left margin to match. There is one line where KOReader hyphenation better and I want to try to get ePub to do the same. But it may not work because there is a wider left margin.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-05-2023 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You also appear to have been using KOReader in scroll mode, which is just plain heresy ;o).

(I imagine that was to try to end up with alternating lines for the comparison, but that doesn't really work with a diff, IMHO. I'd be more interested with an overlay diff, in addition to an horizontal side-by-side).

In any case, this is meaningless without detailing the exact settings you've used on both sides, because you have a lot of footguns at your disposal in KOReader .

(EDIT: And the font.)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-06-2023 at 12:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Just a quick note. Whoever coded that eBook (the retail before conversion version) should be fire for that hyphenation CSS code.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-06-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Just a quick note. Whoever coded that eBook (the retail before conversion version) should be fire for that hyphenation CSS code.
It's looks rather like the code produced by your favourite program, Vellum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 08:11 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It's looks rather like the code produced by your favourite program, Vellum.
And to make matters worse, it's a calibre conversion of a Vellum disaster.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:28 AM   #15
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You also appear to have been using KOReader in scroll mode, which is just plain heresy ;o).

(I imagine that was to try to end up with alternating lines for the comparison, but that doesn't really work with a diff, IMHO. I'd be more interested with an overlay diff, in addition to an horizontal side-by-side).

In any case, this is meaningless without detailing the exact settings you've used on both sides, because you have a lot of footguns at your disposal in KOReader .

(EDIT: And the font.)
I wouldn't use scroll mode even if I was paid .

I just grabbed 2 screenshots with fbgrab, overlapped them, compared they were pretty much the same, used convert to put one of them a little bit up and overlapped them again.

When I say they were pretty much the same I mean they were exactly the same in some lines.

I edited the styles to set fix line-height, font size and margins and so on. In KOReader I use pretty much everything by default but word spacing was small because I prefer it like this.

Last edited by jospalau; 10-07-2023 at 09:47 AM.