Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Rumor on Amazon Eink Color Touch

Eink to ship 3 million color touch screen modules to Amazon each month starting in March???

I was following up on another thread here that talked about eink's first quarter losses. When I went to the original source of the news. I noticed that there was a headline from a previous article that says:
Quote:
E Ink lands 6-inch color e-book reader module orders from Amazon, says paper (Feb 20).
Unfortunately, the article to this headline is behind a paywall and I can't access the details. However, when I do a google search on the headline I get a link to this page at silicon investor. This is a message board, and on the message board someone quotes from the article and says:

Quote:
EPD maker E Ink Holdings (EIH) reportedly has landed orders for 6-inch color e-book reader modules from Amazon with shipments to begin in March, according to a Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) report.

Shipments of the touched-enabled e-book reader modules are expected to top three million units a month, the paper said.
So its just rumor, but it's interesting. I wonder what the lead time is between getting the modules and assembling the completed reader? I wonder how many they need to stock up before they announce?

If we assume they need a month to produce the readers, and allow a month for stocking the supply chain, this could be available as soon as June. However, if their aim is to launch in the fall for Christmas, they may need several months of production to stockup. This would mean they could launch in October with an inventory of 12 million (4 months x 3mil/month) for the holidays.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Wiki has a page on E Ink Triton, which was announced in November 2010. So far all the color E Ink devices have used 9.7" screens. Amazon might be first with an upgraded screen, but, assuming it is Triton, at 6" this will likely be 1024 x 768 for text but 512 x 384 for color. Reports on the 9.7" screen have generally been favorable, given its limitations in color range, but the background is brown, rather than grey, and the contrast is presumably lower than greyscale EInk.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
I know Amazon reps have stated on more than one occasion that they weren't yet comfortable with the quality of color e-ink screens--this wasn’t too long after the Triton demos came out. So I suspect that the quality has progressed beyond that point (it's been nearly one and a half years), and Amazon is now willing to invest in the product.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I just don't see the point of 6" color readers - that size is really only good for reading novels.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I just don't see the point of 6" color readers - that size is really only good for reading novels.
Graphic novels, particularly smaller format ones like manga. 6" is just about the right size for this. Larger, A4-sized graphic novels and comics can still be read, just in landscape mode or with panning. Zooming and panning can be a pain, but I find the 6" form factor preferable to lugging around a 9" or 10" LCD tablet with a third the battery life.

And also non-fiction works with photos or colour diagrams. History books or biographies would work, as well as technical reference books that use colours in their diagrams (I have the odd one or two loaded on my ereader).
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
You have never looked at a wildlife guide, or a military vehicle identification guide?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
That rumor dates back to February and Digitimes (hit-or-miss at best).
It has been pretty much debunked:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...dle-this-year/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
exactly fj. Amazon didnt order color ink displays. The whole thing is, again, the problem of Primeview changing the name to Eink Holdings. Story writers and rumor spreaders forget that it doesn just mean eink displays. From other reading its quite likely that Amazon has purchased Hydis FFS displays for the Fire.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
You have never looked at a wildlife guide, or a military vehicle identification guide?
I would make a plant identification guide myself if this thing materializes.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Hey. I am enthused over it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I think the market for a color eInk would be small. Where it would be better than a B&W eReader (magazines and illustrated books), it wouldn't be better than an LCD tablet, unless you like pastel colors. Yes, better battery life and reading outdoors, but I still think the market would be small.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I think the market for a color eInk would be small. Where it would be better than a B&W eReader (magazines and illustrated books), it wouldn't be better than an LCD tablet, unless you like pastel colors. Yes, better battery life and reading outdoors, but I still think the market would be small.
You might be right about the size of the market as a percentage, but the question is would there be enough demand to support it. A million people might be a small market, but it is significant. A half million is also significant.
I am thinking that I would love to have color on my Kindle for reading other than books as long as it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Color schematics would be great as would maps and color photographs.
I don't need video!
I am assuming the battery would last 12 hours or more hopefully up to 16 continuous.

The grey scale Kindle is fine for reading books, and I have 3G on it as well. Still I don't expect that to last forever so I think of the future. Color sounds good, and it should improve over time.

Last edited by SeaKing; 04-29-2012 at 11:02 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've been eagerly waiting for something like this to make it to the Amazon line of things. This will make reading comics and more enjoyable.

If they can make it attractive and as affordable as the existing Kindle lines, I can see this as selling big (assuming it were true, anyways).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Weren't the origional audobon books in pastels? The prints I've seen don't look like oil pictures in any case. The color ink demos I've seen would work just fine for those. A lot of good art is in pastels that would work fine as illustrations in ebooks.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Eink to ship 3 million color touch screen modules to Amazon each month starting in March???..........................If we assume they need a month to produce the readers, and allow a month for stocking the supply chain, this could be available as soon as June. However, if their aim is to launch in the fall for Christmas, they may need several months of production to stockup. This would mean they could launch in October with an inventory of 12 million (4 months x 3mil/month) for the holidays.
So if we are assuming a target date of, say, November ? That means - if true - they'll have 27 million, and ongoing, of these 6" screens............

Mmmmm....

Let's hope the world economy picks up a bit.
Wouldn't do Eink much harm either - as might a judiciously placed rumour ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote