Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
jetBook lite v0.16 firmware (beta) released

The latest JBL firmware is available for beta testing. You can get it here:
ftp://pubftp2pub2@ftp.ectaco.com/Lite-0.16.exe

This does appear to fix the bug that was introduced in v0.15g firmware. I've tested it by going back to the main menu and removing the batteries. The font size and the place in the book are remembered. I didn't see any other changes, but this is just supposed to be a bug fix.

This is considered to still be in beta testing, so install at your own risk.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Worked for me as well.

Looks like Jerry has some juice in Ectaco...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Worked for me as well.

Looks like Jerry has some juice in Ectaco...
He does seem to get things done quickly. They're even putting release notes/change log on their updates now: http://www.jetbook.net/update.php?refid=29532

Jerry seems to actually listen and respond to the end users rather than making empty promises.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
WOW! They are actually going to start telling us what they are changing? That is huge. Thank you Ectaco from the bottom of my heart!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Yes, this new approach by Ectaco greatly adds to the value of their ebook readers.

It means that they have some commitment to perfecting their products, and therefor
creating a more involved customer base. It provides a product that the customer base
is more likely to recommend and one that has more to recommend it, to potential buyers.
It provides some real evidence that the purchase of an Ectaco product has a long term
value.

All in all, it indicates that Ectaco has picked up a good practice from the "Big Boys",
and if it is managed well, should pay off well in the long run.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Yea, if you call "general bug fixes" a description of what the update contains. Any firmware update will contain general bug fixes- release notes imply a bit more detail.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
Yea, if you call "general bug fixes" a description of what the update contains. Any firmware update will contain general bug fixes- release notes imply a bit more detail.
I'm sure, they will get there with a little more experience at it.
It may take a few tries and some time before they have any new features
or bug fixes to talk about. Lets not discourage their initial efforts.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
You're right. Jerry seems motivated, so I guess he should not be discouraged.

But remember the wish lists that were posted here and/or on Ectaco's website? These included hyperlinking and a lookup function to any of the full featured dictionaries that are available for sale. The prior Ectaco reps assured us that Ectaco would work on these things. Right now, we have no idea if any of these are included in the new updates.

I wonder if Jerry is aware of these wish lists. Working on them might really advance their sales since many people consider a comprehensive dictionary, for example, really essential and something that all their competitors have. More sales = more revenue and more ability to expand their staff, which I suspect may be one of their problems. I like this book reader so much, I would really like to see them succeed. I recommend the JBL to a lot of people, but you almost have to be a hacker to use it.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Chisaiyama
Curmudgeonus Maximus
Chisaiyama began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite, Nook, EB-1150, Axim X51v, Aluratek
Hello All, I am a newbie here but not to the wonderful world of eReader devices. My first device was a Gemstar/RCA/Rocket 1150, which my wife still has and is still functional if a bit oudated. I went from there to the world of reading ebooks on PDAs starting with an HP Jornada, and IPAQ 3870, a couple of Dell Axims and thence to Windows Mobile Smartphones all using the eReader software designed for .pdb files. Recently I acquired an Ectaco Jet Book Lite device and a reasonable thrilled with it.

I am having a problem however with this latest software upgrade. I have downloaded the updated expanded it into the three directories, installed those onto an SDHC card and tried to flash it but it fails saying it cannot find a valid upgrade file. If I reboot it and use the devices file browsing software it shows the file but says it is "Incompatible Format".

Is anyone else having this problem and if so any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

Chisaiyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Chisaiyama
Curmudgeonus Maximus
Chisaiyama began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite, Nook, EB-1150, Axim X51v, Aluratek
I just used the link in the first post above and re-downloaded the file, extracted it and tried again and the upgraded is installing as I type. I downloaded my first copy directly from the jetbook.net website you would have thought that that would have been a good source.
Chisaiyama is offline   Reply With Quote