Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It should be possible to hide the bottom part somehow for normal reading. Fold it back, or slide it under the eink screen or something.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It does look better in black, but I agree that the page turn buttons seem awkwardly placed.

Looks like you can download directly from Google Books? Now *that's* a feature I could use.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the video is up now. it short and not very informative but you do see the Alex in operation

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/s...alex-hands-on/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not fond of that design. One reader I'll never even consider buying. I still see no advantage of the LCD screen. Unless it's a true double screener, like the entourage edge.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the concept versions had page turn buttons on either side ogf the e-ink

strange that the dropped them. maybe because of balance they were awkward to use?

what might be nice is if you could just turn off the lcd but leave on the touch layer for page turning or "scrolling" thru a pdf.

I think the awkwardness of the design comes from the differences in bezel sizes around buttons and screen as well as that button placement.

Next Gen design should use a sort of fake edge to edge design. Car companies hide pillars(bezels) by wrapping glass over them and that work well here. You could also use an lcd screen that was the same width as the e-ink. once covered by the edge to edge glass it would give the illusion of one big display instead of 2 separated by all of that bezel.

the buttons could also be replaced with touch spots like on the newer smartphones.

hmm if i had inkscape on this laptop i could probably illustrate what i mean..
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the concept versions had page turn buttons on either side ogf the e-ink

strange that the dropped them. maybe because of balance they were awkward to use?

what might be nice is if you could just turn off the lcd but leave on the touch layer for page turning or "scrolling" thru a pdf.

I think the awkwardness of the design comes from the differences in bezel sizes around buttons and screen as well as that button placement.

Next Gen design should use a sort of fake edge to edge design. Car companies hide pillars(bezels) by wrapping glass over them and that work well here. You could also use an lcd screen that was the same width as the e-ink. once covered by the edge to edge glass it would give the illusion of one big display instead of 2 separated by all of that bezel.

the buttons could also be replaced with touch spots like on the newer smartphones.

hmm if i had inkscape on this laptop i could probably illustrate what i mean..
From a design perspective, there are a few things that make it a bit alien for comfort among some people.

As you mention, the bezel/frame is not congruent around both screens. Also, the rounding of the corners of the device conflict with the screen corners, the low button placement distorts visual balance, and even the basic height-width ratio is a bit alien.

In the hand, it may well be brilliant (button placement suggests typical "corner" grip, and seems suitable for that, assuming the user relies on the LCD a lot). visually, the direct view is a bit awkward, no doubt.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #22
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Just received an email and it looks like the Alex Reader is going to cost a whopping $399. It should be available for purchase from the Spring Design website on February 22nd.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
JVIPER88
JVIPER88 began at the beginning.

Device: None
The price for the Alex has been adjusted down to $360. Its still a bit pricey for me, but it is a little better.

And I agree with what people are saying here about button placement. (I'm also a little concerned about battery life with the big LCD screen). But if they do what the Nook does, which is, turn the screen off and then use it as a touch-sensitive page turner, that would solve those problems.

If you could use the touchscreen at the bottom to turn pages, you can still use only one hand to read, and don't have to worry about button placement.
JVIPER88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
JVIPER88
JVIPER88 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I also wonder, since this thing uses Android, would this device give you access to Android Apps to be used on the LCD screen? I know its not the point of an E-book reader, but it would be a nice bonus.
JVIPER88 is offline   Reply With Quote