Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
pghmark
TANSTAAFL
pghmark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505(favorite), Blackjack, IPod Touch
Windows 7 Installation Problem

Originally, my laptop was Vista 32-bit, with Calibre 5.2(?). I then started testing the Windows 7 Betas by doing an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. Calibre still performed like a champ.

The first time, after Windows 7, that a Calibre upgrade came in I couldn't get it to install. I kept getting messages that Calibre was running, even when it was not running (nothing in the system tray, only the Calibre setup in task manager). I was able to work around it by starting my original copy of Calibre, then executing the Setup to upgrade Calibre. When it told me Calibre was running, during setup, I killed the old version process in Task Manager and the upgrade continued successfully. Again Calibre worked great under Windows 7.

I finally was comfortable enough with Windows 7 to do a clean install on my laptop. Now however I am having the same problem installing Calibre for the first time. Even though it is not installed on my system, the installation package insists that it is running and won't go any further in the setup.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
pghmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, the installer checks for a calibre.exe process do you have any process wth a name like calibre*.exe that might be confuing it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre installs fine for me on Windows 7 without any strange error messages.

What version and build of Windows 7 are you using? I am using the Ultimate version Build 7077.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
pghmark
TANSTAAFL

Nope...the csrss.exe is the only other process running that starts with the same letter. If you have any ideas on what I can do to try to pin the problem down, I'll do all of the testing I can...
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
pghmark
TANSTAAFL

Hmmm...that is strange...the original problem trying to upgrade, and the work around I came up with started with 7000 and went through 7077...I'm currently on 7077 as a clean install.
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
pghmark
TANSTAAFL

One final note...the clean install of Windows 7 is so recent that the only thing I installed before Calibre was AVG Anti-Virus. I uninstalled that and tried again...same results.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

does windows 7 have a safe mode? if it does try installing calibre in that
Old 04-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
pghmark
TANSTAAFL

Other Attempts from Suggestions -- Maybe Some Progress

Safe Mode -- failed
UAC Off -- failed
Run as Administrator -- failed
Compatibility Mode -- XP and Vista -- failed

However, I had a copy of 0.4.125 and it let me get past the first step...looks like it will install.

Suggestion: This is the only old version I have...if I can get copies of the previous versions, I could work my way backwards and we could at least identify at what point the problem occurs, maybe that will provide a clue.

Let me know...I've got no problem testing since it helps me in the long run.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

0.4.125 doesn't check for running instances, which is why it is succeeding. The question is why is the check always returning positive. calibre uses Installjammer to build the installer, for the next release, I'll update installjammer to the latest version, se eif that fixes it. If not ping me.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The workaround probably changed when the installer changed in 0.5.7 or so. Prior to that, the installer gave an option to start Calibre after the install; now it no longer does. (I figured this was intentional for some reason.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The workaround probably changed when the installer changed in 0.5.7 or so. Prior to that, the installer gave an option to start Calibre after the install; now it no longer does. (I figured this was intentional for some reason.)
It was intentional since the installer run as the admin user and launching calibre from it, causes calibre to also run with elevated privileges. But that shouldn't affect the detection of a runnign calibre instance.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Tryt he installer at https://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downl...ibre-0.5.8.exe (it's made with the latest release of installjammer)
Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
pghmark
TANSTAAFL

Windows 7 Installation Problem -- RESOLVED

Thanks...that took care of the problem. I tried the install as an upgrade to 0.4.125, then uninstalled everything and tried a new install...both worked.

I appreciate your help...

Tags
install, windows 7, windows7