Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Web Browsing on the K2 over USB

One of MobileRead's more inquisitive members has been fiddling with the sttings on his K2. He reports that he has successfully browsed the web without using the 3G. (Sadly, this won't work on the original Kindle.) If you'd like to try it yourself, he has rather complete instructions on his blog.

How he found it is rather interesting. You may remember that igorsk demonstrated on his blog that the Kindle has a debug mode, and a number of commands that can be run while in that mode. The K2 also has the debug mode, and it has several new commands, including the ones for browsing over USB. If you want to try this yourself, you should go over to his blog. He has a good set of instructions for OS X.

Using a PC is all well and good, but I'd like to see someone get this working with a USB to Wifi (or ethernet) bridge. Or, how about getting it working with a device that has USB host and Wifi? I make this request for the obvious reason. This feature will be most useful when it works with a small device that you can carry with you. If you have a computer next to you, you might as well browse on it, not the Kindle.

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/h...shell-and.html
http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/tethering-your-kindle.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This feature will be most useful when it works with a small device that you can carry with you. If you have a computer next to you, you might as well browse on it, not the Kindle.
There's something else this will be useful for. Once someone gets a telnetd onto the Kindle 2, you'll be able to have a console without needing to crack the case, find a serial port and hand-solder a cable.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just successfully downloaded the app and a free first chapter (Terminal Freeze) directly to my iPhone and it worked fine. The presentation is no better than the eReader or Stanza and Kindle books don't seem to have the Landscape option like eReader.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
If you have a computer next to you, you might as well browse on it, not the Kindle.
Browse? Yes. Read? No. This will be particularly handy for those of us overseas who want to read long articles on the Kindle. Especially Wikipedia entries. This is great. I can't wait for my Kindle 2 to get here so I can try it out.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
peggynek
Enthusiast
peggynek began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I tried it and it worked quite flawlessly, but my Kindle2 is not registered via settings menu, because I am out of coverage. Unfortunately registering in Settings menu doesn't work. :-(
With this USB tethering I can browse Kindle store, but I cannot donwload or purchase anything, because Kindle is not registered.
Do you have any idea, if there is some option how to register it? Of course my Kindle is registered on Amazon via www, but Kindle itself "doesn't know" that. It still requires registering in Settings menu...
Thank you for anything.
peggynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Damn, that sucks. If the web browser is still under experimental features and is only accessible with a registered Kindle then I won't be able to use it for purposes stated above. I'll have to wait until I return to the states in 2010.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggynek View Post
I tried it and it worked quite flawlessly, but my Kindle2 is not registered via settings menu, because I am out of coverage. Unfortunately registering in Settings menu doesn't work. :-(
With this USB tethering I can browse Kindle store, but I cannot donwload or purchase anything, because Kindle is not registered.
Do you have any idea, if there is some option how to register it? Of course my Kindle is registered on Amazon via www, but Kindle itself "doesn't know" that. It still requires registering in Settings menu...
Thank you for anything.
I would contact Kindle support. There has to be a solution; you can't be the only one with this problem.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
peggynek
Enthusiast
peggynek began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I would contact Kindle support. There has to be a solution; you can't be the only one with this problem.
I can guess, what they will tell me. "Please, purchase all content via web and download it to your Kindle with USB cable. Your Kindle doesn't need to be registered, because you cannot use wireless functionality of your Kindle out of coverage anyway."
I am quite sure they don't support browsing with the "hack" stated in the beginning of this thread, thus I cannot ask for help about that. Since I am out of coverage, then the only way is purchasing on my computer and downloading all purchased stuff with USB cable.
Shame. Very shame.

If anyone will find way, how to avoid it, please, share it with us.
peggynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
If the web browser is still under experimental features and is only accessible with a registered Kindle then I won't be able to use it for purposes stated above. I'll have to wait until I return to the states in 2010.
I think you might be stuck. Let's think this through.

If you think about how this might work, you might consider the following: the Kindle connects to Sprint's network, Sprint must therefore connect to Amazon's network. For security and/or monitoring reasons, it is likely that some (apparently not all) of the Kindle related servers, such as the "registration server" at Amazon, are filtered to only accept incoming traffic from Sprint.

Side note- this architecture implies that web-browsing from a 3G connection is being proxied by Sprint and/or Amazon. Which only makes sense since some day it may not be free. At the very least they could monitor "abusers".

A kindle connected to an intermediate PC will not look like a "Sprint" Kindle to Amazon, it will be just another browser coming into amazon.com through the general Internet and it won't automatically connect to the registration "pages".

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 03-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ryan View Post
A kindle connected to an intermediate PC will not look like a "Sprint" Kindle to Amazon, it will be just another browser coming into amazon.com through the general Internet and it won't automatically connect to the registration "pages".
Not quite. It's still talking to Amazon's kindle servers using kindle specific SSL certificates. And it's doing its browsing via the hardcoded HTTP proxy.

It's not "just another browser"
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
stampsm
stampsm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Not quite. It's still talking to Amazon's kindle servers using kindle specific SSL certificates. And it's doing its browsing via the hardcoded HTTP proxy.

It's not "just another browser"
jesse i just posted a reply to your latest blog. i had some other idea i prefer not to talk about in public since the i.mx31 processor can be in theory locked down so tight in future versions so every hacker would almost cry if amazon got annoyed enough.
stampsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
joshewah
joshewah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
Same blog has a new post now, they were able to use an ARM binary and telnet in!!!
This could mean some cool new things are around the corner if they can actually get a shell up and running (Especially without having to do any hardware hacks, just using USB)
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote