Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #31
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEcho View Post
Is there a way to do a reverse of this? Can I get non Amazon DRM'd content on a Kindle?

Matt
Yes you can. I'm notorious for shopping at CyberRead; they have a 50% coupon that never seems to expire; with this coupon you can beat Amazon prices 80% of the time. I buy Mobi format books, deDRM them, and then load them to mine Kindle.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #32
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Yes you can. I'm notorious for shopping at CyberRead; they have a 50% coupon that never seems to expire; with this coupon you can beat Amazon prices 80% of the time. I buy Mobi format books, deDRM them, and then load them to mine Kindle.
Ah, thanks. I'll have to figure that out when I get my Kindle.

Matt
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Thanks, I was wondering the same thing.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #34
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I was intrigued by the new kindle but considering I have over 1000 stories on my PRS-505 I'd really need some kind of folder structure on the Kindle to find my files more easily.

I think the only reason I'm tempted is the wider selection of ebooks. However, they still dont' have some books I've been looking for.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #35
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I've really got to figure out how to do that. Now that it seems I'll be adding a BlackBerry to my gadget collection, and mobipocket makes an app for that...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #36
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If people who do sell their K1 before they have a K2 lose their purchased content, then I know there's going to be a huge outcry. I hope Amazon does the right thing and allow the content to be saved (but not downloaded again) until there was a Kindle registered again.
It is available to the new Kindle once registered.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #37
frecklpwr
frecklpwr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Lily, I am in the same boat as you. I miss my Kindle 1 and am driving my husband crazy dreaming about my Kindle 2's arrival. Is it March yet? I actually got really excited when I realized that February is a short month -- two days less than I expected to wait for my K2! On Feb. 8th, I felt like a kid waiting for Santa . . .
frecklpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #38
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
AH. didn't know that. Perhaps they assign serial numbers without needing to have the units.

BOb
No, the serial number is listed as "Unknown" on my K2.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #39
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is there a way to do a reverse of this? Can I get non Amazon DRM'd content on a Kindle?

Matt
Here at Mobile Read there is a E-Books section (See above in the blue line). When you click on that and the "Browse LAtest Uploads" you go to the E-Books section. Click on the MobiPocket selsction and there are literally thousands of free books to download.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #40
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ah, thanks. I'll have to figure that out when I get my Kindle.

Matt
Don't forget if you're in the U.S., your public library may have ebooks for online checkout. The secret using KindlePID and KindleFix - but we've written a wiki covering both. Library ebooks are "free".

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #41
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Here at Mobile Read there is a E-Books section (See above in the blue line). When you click on that and the "Browse LAtest Uploads" you go to the E-Books section. Click on the MobiPocket selsction and there are literally thousands of free books to download.
Very exciting, thanks. I really don't understand those who claim that 2GB is more than enough storage. I want the ability to carry an entire library with me.

Thanks to Leep also. I will definitely be looking into that as well.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #42
pshrynk

Quote:
Very exciting, thanks. I really don't understand those who claim that 2GB is more than enough storage. I want the ability to carry an entire library with me.

Thanks to Leep also. I will definitely be looking into that as well.
Here's my perspective on 2GB.

I bought the 4 gig SD card for my K1 when I got it, thinking that I like to carry around a library with me. After a year and some, i have around 600 books on it, waaaaay more than I will actually ever read. They take up less than a gig on the SD card.

I will be able to port my collection to the K2 and still have plenty of room to get new books I won't be able to read. Eventually, I suppose I will need to do some sort of management, but I don't foresee it any time soon.

For those who need to carry around reference books, like Ricky and her portable legal library, I can see why the ability to change SD cards is a good option. For me, however, I just don't think I'll be pining for the changeability.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #43
MattEcho

All I can say is that whenever I think I have enough storage space, I'm wrong. Whether it be in my house, computer or Ipod. I expect the Kindle will be the same.

Of course, from Amazon's perspective, they expect customers will be repeat buyers of the latest and greatest Kindle with more and more storage space and newer features. You can't blame them considering how successful the Ipod has been using this business model.