Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Amazing SF Story, not a book though...Jerome Bixby's The Man from Earth

I am watching it (by about 30-mins) as I type this and I already know it is one of the best SF movies I have ever watched...and there are ZERO special effects. It's totally character and imagination driven. The science seems solid and the theory in interesting. FYI, it's one of those Methuselah sorta stories...of Lazarus Long only he began much earlier.

You can also tell the writer, Jerome Bixby, cut his teeth on early Star Trek and prolly at least some Twilight Zone type stuff.

It's a thinker kinda movie which seems to draw you into the plot very gently. Anyway, I just thought the way the movie was done would appeal to some of the SF fans here who might never have watched it. Right now I am streaming it over Netflix Unlimited.

Hope someone else might enjoy this too.

EDIT:

OK, just finished it...what a cool story. Very philosophical. It I might say it is not a movie for those who are not willing to open mindedly question things they take on faith as truth. The ending was abrupt but it ends like any good story should, with more questions then answers.

I have to say I stand my my early comment that this is one of the best SF stories I have read or watched ever. Without a doubt it is in my top 5...probably in the top 3 easy. About 90-mins extremely well spent.

Last edited by brecklundin; 05-23-2008 at 09:04 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It has great reviews on Amazon, I think I'll order it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I actually watched it a few months back and it was pretty darn good! I did kind of guess the punch-line before the end of the film. If you like that, then check out the new TV series New Amsterdam too.

Cheers!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Agree with original poster; Man From Earth is an astonishing film. Just found it as a script for the play at the iBooks Store for $10.

I've seen the film a number of times and never tire of it but it would be even more impressive as a stage play. I was thinking of "!2 Angry Men" which was a powerful film shot in one room (well, not counting the two minutes in the rest room) but live on stage was a gut-wrenching experience.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote