Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Android E Ink e-reader "Crema Shine" launches in Korea

E-book aficionados from South Korean, rejoice! As we heard earlier this morning, Seoul-based Kepub is introducing the Crema Shine, the first E Ink e-reader in South Korea that features a frontlight.

Specifications:
  • Display: 6" E Ink
  • Resolution: 1024x758 (16 grey levels)
  • Storage: 8GB (expandable with Micro SD)
  • RAM: 512MB
  • CPU: 1GHz
  • Battery: 1500mAh
  • Connectivity: WiFi
  • Formats: ePub, PDF
  • Dimensions: 169x116x9.5mm
  • Weight: 185g
  • Prize: KRW149,000 (~US $130)

[Edit: This device looks similar to the tolino reader, which is distributed by Deutsche Telekom and various German booksellers. Thanks manfred63!]

You can pre-order it through various booksellers and channels like Yes 24 and Aladin. Official launch date: August 26th.

To see the Crema Shine in action check out this Youtube video:

[via Betanews.net]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27389423.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	108997   Click image for larger version

Name:	27392071.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	108998   Click image for larger version

Name:	27407100.jpg
Views:	1510
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	108999   Click image for larger version

Name:	27549311.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	109000   Click image for larger version

Name:	shine.jpg
Views:	1543
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	109001  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-06-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Other than having more competition in the market, I don't see anything special about this one. I think I'd rather have the Kindle PW.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Nice but somehow I think I've seen something quite similar before. Anyway now we know how Tolino II is supposed to work maybe.
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred63 View Post
Nice but somehow I think I've seen something quite similar before. Anyway now we know how Tolino II is supposed to work maybe.
Good find. Thank you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Glad I could help.
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Other than having more competition in the market, I don't see anything special about this one. I think I'd rather have the Kindle PW.
The target market is South Korea. The comparison should be whether it is appropriately priced to the local market (how much does it cost to buy and ship a PW to South Korea), whether competing devices offer native (to the device) Korean language support, and what format the local shops are selling Korean language ebooks in.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Interesting concept, but I dont see the point of having Android 4.0 if they are going to do anything special with it.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Well, I can tell you this is a very competitive price against other e-readers I've seen in the country (yes, I'm in the ROK)... and the built-in lighting is a bonus. Other e-readers look like (and probably are) older-gen models, and thus (I guess) linux-based.

Outside e-readers can't be popular here. The Korean language is double-byte and typically ANSI-encoded. I never did figure out how to get Hangul epubs working on my Sony unless they had embedded fonts. So, the only competition is iRiver and some other second-tier brands...

Some high schools have been pushing e-readers instead of a bag full of books... but I haven't seen that take full-force yet. I suspect once students realize the power of these things, they'll become very popular... especially thanks to built-in translation dictionaries - which by the way, is why I suspect Android will be the choice in Eastern Asia for e-readers. Multilingual dictionaries (even if paid apps) would be a godsend for the average university student.

The apps will also likely lean towards online webcomics, which are insanely popular here. Of course, I am assuming still that this reader will allow apps. If not, then why bother?

But, like most Korean electronics, it could flounder or sell millions. Jeez, Windows XP is still the most common OS in this country, IE is still the browser of choice, and people still play Starcraft 1 and Counter-strike. Meanwhile, we all know Samsung owns the smartphone market and I rarely see any old SD TV's anymore... so...
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Android 4.0, hmmm, very interesting indeed!

Does anyone know of a european distributor?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
As someone who is running a rooted STR Glowlight, Android with eInk is quite handy, especially if they don't try to lock it down (like B&N and Sony). My biggest gripe about my nook is that it is stuck on Android 2.1, so there are quite a few apps that would be perfect for eInk, that I can't use due to requiring 2.2 or 2.3.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
As someone who is running a rooted STR Glowlight, Android with eInk is quite handy, especially if they don't try to lock it down (like B&N and Sony). My biggest gripe about my nook is that it is stuck on Android 2.1, so there are quite a few apps that would be perfect for eInk, that I can't use due to requiring 2.2 or 2.3.
I would love to get my hands on a Crema Shine, just hoping that there will be a distributor in Europe!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
I would love to get my hands on a Crema Shine, just hoping that there will be a distributor in Europe!
Ditto, but higher versions of Android use more battery (I think).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
jlynton
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Ditto, but higher versions of Android use more battery (I think).
Hopefully 1500 mAh will be aple for that.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
You can get it from GMarket.

Hope this helps
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote