Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #121
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Miranda View Post
This is great writing - absolutely stunning, but to get its full impact you should read it as formatted by the author.
I actually took the time to read the thing. There are 1 inch margins on each side, so the text is squeezed into a column one inch wide. The first half of the story (it's quite short, or I wouldn't have bothered) was just some depressed guy sort of feeling like people were following him. After that, it got almost interesting. Still awful, of course. He hides in a hospital for weeks moving from one waiting room to the next, sort of blending into the lives of the other visitors. It's never revealed why people were stalking him, apparently, the stalkers got bored and moved on.

The blurb says "Find out what these men want from him and where he goes to find out." That's a strange thing to put in a blurb, because it really doesn't give you any information about the story. But we never do find out what these men want from him. Instead, one of "these men" talks to him very briefly, and says something vague like "You think it's going to be one way, but it's going to be the other way." Then nothing. We never find out what the one way or the other is; nothing happens with his stalkers.

If you're going to explicitly say "find out" in the blurb, that's a promise that the reader will find this out. But we do find out where he goes, it's kind of obvious, he goes to an ICU waiting room.

I guess the best I can say for this book is that I've actually seen worse.

Oh, the book ranks #4 in free medical fiction books. That looks impressive until you see there are only nine books in that category.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 07-11-2013 at 01:42 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #122
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That's... precious. I had to look inside. Excerpt:
I tried to make sure I included all the typos from the original and not add any new ones. Original is indented, not line-between-paragraphs.
Gak!

This pointed out a recent "red-flag" for me...first person present tense for the entire novel. I muddled my way through The Time-Traveller's Wife because the story was compelling, but most days, if it's FPPT, I refuse to even purchase it, no matter how compelling the blurb is.

I have lots of other personal red-flags, but this excerpt reminded me how much I hate FPPT.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #123
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Gak!

This pointed out a recent "red-flag" for me...first person present tense for the entire novel. I muddled my way through The Time-Traveller's Wife because the story was compelling, but most days, if it's FPPT, I refuse to even purchase it, no matter how compelling the blurb is.

I have lots of other personal red-flags, but this excerpt reminded me how much I hate FPPT.
This this this this this!

I had to fight my way through the Hunger Games trilogy (which I really enjoyed otherwise), but I find Present-Tense (first person or otherwise) so jarring that it takes something really well written and original to make me finish the book.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #124
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Actually it's 2nd person present that really gets to me.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #125
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
So long since I have taken grammar I had to look up 2nd person present tense. Can't say I have ever noticed whether I dislike books written this way, but I was quite smitten with Zork once upon a time

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #126
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I don't believe I've ever seen a book written in second person, past or present. Would you give some examples?

I am not terribly fond of present tense in general, but I wouldn't rule something out just because it's present tense. I find it distracting because unless or until I get swept up in the story, I keep wondering just why the author chose it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #127
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't believe I've ever seen a book written in second person, past or present. Would you give some examples?

I am not terribly fond of present tense in general, but I wouldn't rule something out just because it's present tense. I find it distracting because unless or until I get swept up in the story, I keep wondering just why the author chose it.
Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus starts in second person present tense. I don't know if it continues that way for the whole book because I couldn't make myself read more that the first two pages.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #128
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

This thread gave me a good idea of what it is about.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #129
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:

There are very few books; I'm told "If On a Winter's Night a Traveller" by Italo Calvino is 2nd person.

I did a set of recommendations of <a href="http://elf.dreamwidth.org/344152.html#cutid2">fanfic written in 2nd person</a>; a couple of them are classic fairy tales. (In 2nd person future tense.)

2nd person is good for:
  • Unreliable narrators,
  • Disturbing themes where 1st or 3rd would leave the reader too distant to get the full emotional impact,
  • Introspective stories about characters who don't do introspection.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #130
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by frddgls View Post
Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus starts in second person present tense. I don't know if it continues that way for the whole book because I couldn't make myself read more that the first two pages.
I just looked at it at Amazon; it seems as if the opening is second person present and then it switches to third person present. I'd be OK with second person in that limited way--bringing the reader into the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
There are very few books; I'm told "If On a Winter's Night a Traveller" by Italo Calvino is 2nd person.

I did a set of recommendations of <a href="http://elf.dreamwidth.org/344152.html#cutid2">fanfic written in 2nd person</a>; a couple of them are classic fairy tales. (In 2nd person future tense.)

2nd person is good for:
  • Unreliable narrators,
  • Disturbing themes where 1st or 3rd would leave the reader too distant to get the full emotional impact,
  • Introspective stories about characters who don't do introspection.
I also looked at the Calvino book at Amazon--it too seems to start with an introductory section in second person, then shift to first.

In small doses it can be effective, I suppose, but for a whole book? It feels like the commentary you get at the beginning of a game ("You receive a letter and must go and save your friend ..."), or a Choose-You-Own Adventure.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #131
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Charles Stross' Halting State is written in 2nd person present tense, and I think the sequel Rule 34 is also.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #132
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Weren't the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books written in second person present tense? A while back I was talking to my fifth-grade daughter about the different tenses, and that was the only example I could come up with off the top of my head.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #133
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:

I put down Halting State by Charles Stross because of it, and I usually enjoy his stuff a lot.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #134
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I actually like 2nd-person POV. It can be very good when done right, particularly if you want to surprise or create mysteries.

That said, it's much harder than the standard 3rd-person / random-omniscience that's taken over fiction writing, because any breaks from the POV stand out more and authors have to pay attention to POV. It's not like 3rd-person where authors can stick in omniscience whenever it's convenient / they forget what POV they were using.

OT: Sloppiness bothers me. Switching POVs (particularly sudden random omniscience) annoys me a lot. So does bad characterization or sudden plot changes. Same thing goes for grammar or spelling - I'm fine with a few issues, but if there's too many they get distracting and I lose interest. If the writing, story or characters aren't important enough for the author to pay attention, I don't really want to waste my time paying attention.

Also, I'll put a book down or edit the book (Sigil is awesome! As is whiteout) if I run into a sex scene. If I was interested in that, I wouldn't be reading.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #135
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Also, I'll put a book down or edit the book (Sigil is awesome! As is whiteout) if I run into a sex scene. If I was interested in that, I wouldn't be reading.
You would actually edit out a scene of the book? I've read of people making formatting corrections and even corrections to typos, but that's the first time I've read of someone removing narrative. Interesting.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote