Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #16
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quarterly bump.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I've forgotten the Vox. I was expecting too much from it and I got real frustrated. It was terribly sluggish and required rebooting every few days. So I purchased a Samsung 10.1" tablet and am very happy with it. Haven't turned the Vox on since.

That said my primary reason for the Vox was to read a book in low light conditions. And that it did well. Then the Glo came out.

I will continue to purchase eInk readers though.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like I will not be buying Kobo hardware anymore - Quarterly bump
Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedenim View Post
Looks like I will not be buying Kobo hardware anymore - Quarterly bump
A wise decision
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #20
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Oh, I'm very happy with my Kobo eInk devices and will continue to purchase those. I just won't be buying their Android tablets.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #21
suedenim
Connoisseur

I finally put the Vox to rest as I found a good deal on a Nook HD+ and its brilliant! A serious upgrade in speed and size. I have an mSD card coming so I can make use of the dual boot and try out some custom roms.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #22
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I put my vox to rest about Christmas 2012

the idea of it was nice, but it just seemed to get abandoned
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #23
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Interesting thread. Yes, the Vox is old hardware, running an old OS, but it does what it was intended to do. It's an e-reader with benefits. That's why I got it and it still does the job. What's the problem?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-600,T2, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kindle 3G/PW4/PW5/O3
I got a Vox donated to me after a friend upgraded to a 10" Sammy. It is mounted in our living room to control our lights (Philips Hue) and control everything else (Logitech Harmony) . With all the decent Android tablets, phablets and phones in our house it just seemed too weak to do anything else.
coolloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #25
suedenim
Connoisseur

Battery life is way down and those benefits are just too frustrating to deal with as well as a lack of support. The latest version of android has optimisations for lower specced devices which might have done wonders for the Vox but Kobo are extremely unlikely to offer us that.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #26
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
Kobo "support" has confirmed via email to me today, that they have indeed abandoned the Vox. I contacted support because my Vox stopped charging, I asked if they thought it might need a battery & where I could purchase one. They initially responded that I should charge the unit then do a factory reset. Clearly, they didn't read my issue. After 4 more emails asking the same question & getting somewhat random responses, here's the last one:
"Unfortunately the Kobo Vox has been discontinued and we can no longer offer parts or can advise on a possible source.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Since the warranty has expired you are more than welcome to research repair options."

That sums it up. Kobo will not even tell me where to try to get it fixed!! Looks like I'll be researching my next eReader purchase, excluding Kobo, which I have loved so completely, that I'm at a loss. I honestly expected just basic customer service.

Last edited by Abacus63; 09-11-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: too many typos! typing while irritated.
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #27
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
You can find new Kobo Vox's on eBay for under $100. I even see a battery for a lot less than it would have cost from Kobo.

However, it's probably a good plan to upgrade rather to try keeping the Vox on life support. I see the new Kobo readers have amazing battery life compared to the Vox which needs charging every day.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
I see used batteries on eBay for under $20 and will probably give that a try before giving up. I'm so frustrated by Kobo's lack of support and the fact that they did not even read my emails (ie responding that I needed to charge it when I said that it wouldn't charge...) that I am not planning to purchase from this company again. And I am rescinding the glowing reviews and recommendations I have given to friends and family. There are an overwhelming number of options for a new reader. For now, I'm using my old PRS-300 and it still works just fine
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #29
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
The Vox came out in 2011. In tablet terms... that thing is a dinosaur. You probably got your moneys worth out of it.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #30
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Tablets just don't Age well. Vintage 2011 - blah!
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote