Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Seems I'm ok with androidpit with downloading apk files and installing them. I can find them on my KF's app list afterwards.

I have tried freewarelovers as well for the google map app, it downloads and installs but I chose not to open it directly when prompted. I closed out and I'm also able to find it on my KF's app list.

So to the OP, if I can do this as a trial I guess I'm not missing anything (at least not yet).
There are many alternative markets out there. We have a thread here with several links.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
You can side-load and install apps that are not in the Amazon app store, so it's mostly an inconvenience, really.
Unfortunately, it CAN be a problem when trying to side-load a paid app from the Android Market with the key embedded in the app. I have one app I really need but it will not install on the Fire. Yes, I know, I could root, install the Android Market, unroot but I really don't want to go to the trouble unless it's a last resort.

I've emailed the dev and am awaiting his response.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Unfortunately, it CAN be a problem when trying to side-load a paid app from the Android Market with the key embedded in the app. I have one app I really need but it will not install on the Fire. Yes, I know, I could root, install the Android Market, unroot but I really don't want to go to the trouble unless it's a last resort.

I've emailed the dev and am awaiting his response.
Have you tried backing it up into a apk and then sideload it that way? What app it is?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #19
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Have you tried backing it up into a apk and then sideload it that way? What app it is?
Yes, that is what I was refering to above. There is no way to successfully side-load the .apk.

It is Pocket Informant.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes, that is what I was refering to above. There is no way to successfully side-load the .apk.

It is Pocket Informant.
Okay You can purchase it at
the app store for $9.99. It says it's Fire Compatible.
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:

It is Pocket Informant.
the only way to transfer purchased(copy-protected) app is to have the device rooted.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
the only way to transfer purchased(copy-protected) app is to have the device rooted.
I guess there is no way of knowing it has DRM on it?

I purchased DoggCatcher and History Eraser Pro from the Market and they work fine on the Fire.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #23
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess there is no way of knowing it has DRM on it?

I purchased DoggCatcher and History Eraser Pro from the Market and they work fine on the Fire.
are you sure they're running in the "paid mode"? many paid app with free alternative will just install a key when you purchase, if the key is not found, it'll default to run as the "free version".
Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
are you sure they're running in the "paid mode"? many paid app with free alternative will just install a key when you purchase, if the key is not found, it'll default to run as the "free version".
Yep they are the full version.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There are many alternative markets out there. We have a thread here with several links.
I will eventually try something from each resource in the near future and see how I make out. The more alternative good markets out there I can access apps from successfully, the better.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I will eventually try something from each resource in the near future and see how I make out. The more alternative good markets out there I can access apps from successfully, the better.
I use 1Mobile, SlideME and Android community the most. You can download straight to your PC and then install on the Fire.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #27
shinew
Addict

Quote:
Yep they are the full version.
that's not a very good protection scheme then. but good for users
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Okay You can purchase it at
the app store for $9.99. It says it's Fire Compatible.
Well, I know it can be purchased for $9.99. The point is that I DON'T want to pay for it twice, nor should I have to!

And it is NOT (yet) compatible with the Fire as there is no option to manually input login settings to one's Google Calendars. It syncs from the usual native Android calendar which does not exist on the Fire. One can use the default PI calendar which is pointless. The only feature that will now sync with the Fire is Google Tasks. I am surprised this has not been pulled for purchase for the Fire since they did remove Business Calendar for the same problem - no manual login to access Google Calendar.

Apparently the devs have assigned some priority to an update due to the popularity of the Fire.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
shinew
Addict

Quote:
Well, I know it can be purchased for $9.99. The point is that I DON'T want to pay for it twice, nor should I have to!

And it is NOT (yet) compatible with the Fire as there is no option to manually input login settings to one's Google Calendars. It syncs from the usual native Android calendar which does not exist on the Fire. One can use the default PI calendar which is pointless. The only feature that will now sync with the Fire is Google Tasks. I am surprised this has not been pulled for purchase for the Fire since they did remove Business Calendar for the same problem - no manual login to access Google Calendar.

Apparently the devs have assigned some priority to an update due to the popularity of the Fire.
Rooting the device and install GApps will solve most if not all your problems. But I understand some people are not comfortable doing that.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

I understand that but wanted to point it out it is available for purchase through Amazon.

Calengoo will work and sync with Google. It's what I use it's $2.99