Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
wakata
wakata began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Programmatically handling collections

Hi all,

I'm writing some custom scripts for my ebook library, and I have a large number of PDF ebooks (~150) which I'd like to classify in collections.

Calibre can do this, but I was wondering if there was a way to set collection information directly in PDF properties. Storing the classification info in the PDFs would be nice, since it would be permanent, and wouldn't rely on calibre's database. Plus, it would be much easier to script.

I'm basically searching for a PDF field which the reader would read (just like it reads the title and author fields) and use as collection (possibly with support for multiple collections, separated in some way.

Is there such a PDF metadata field? Otherwise is there a simple way to tag pdf collection information programmatically (simple as in not having to do it manually through calibre).

Thanks for your help!
Wakata.
wakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakata View Post
Hi all,

I'm writing some custom scripts for my ebook library, and I have a large number of PDF ebooks (~150) which I'd like to classify in collections.

Calibre can do this, but I was wondering if there was a way to set collection information directly in PDF properties. Storing the classification info in the PDFs would be nice, since it would be permanent, and wouldn't rely on calibre's database. Plus, it would be much easier to script.

I'm basically searching for a PDF field which the reader would read (just like it reads the title and author fields) and use as collection (possibly with support for multiple collections, separated in some way.

Is there such a PDF metadata field? Otherwise is there a simple way to tag pdf collection information programmatically (simple as in not having to do it manually through calibre).

Thanks for your help!
Wakata.
Hi Wakata,

You've brought up an interesting idea. Like you, I love the .pdf format and have a similar if not larger collection.

The tags meta data field in the Calibre database is what drives the collections names when the books are transferred to the Sony PRS. Each of the tag terms which are separated by commas forms one Sony PRS collection name.

What I've noticed is when I add a .pdf book, the entries in the .pdf Subject and Keywords fields are combined and put into the Calibre tags field.

Another idea you might want to consider is using the meta data update function in Calibre to go out to the web and download the book's metadata from Amazon, Google, Openbooks, etc. You'll get a very comprehensive metadata description which goes beyond anything you'd find in a .pdf file.

Personally, what I've found is the Calibre tags are being created in a more granular fashion than is practical so I'm planning on editing down the number of tag terms I have in order to reduce the number of collections being generated on the reader (currently in excess of 700).
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
collections, metadata, scripting