Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
B&N expects Nook losses to increase in 2013

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91D04120130214

Quote:
Barnes & Noble said it expects an earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) loss at the Nook business to exceed the $262 million loss recorded in fiscal 2012.

Nook revenue this year is expected to be less than $3 billion, the company said in a statement.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Hmm, no comments after 100+ reads?
No sense rehashing the same old same olds...
Well, here's somebody with a couple *new* and interesting ideas:
http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2013/...to-go-nuclear/

Here's a fresh one:

Quote:
2) Make publishers pay for the DRM. I understand that standard Adobe DRM has an onerous per-download cost. But why should you pay for that? Do you really care after you’ve sold a book? I don’t think so. Only publishers do. So make them pay for the DRM. How are they going to really say no? What other national chain of bookstores can they flog their printed slabs in? Do you think they’ll run to Amazon for help? It’s time for you to take a stand on this. DRM is insisted on by publishers, so make them pay for it.
The others make sense, too.
There's still room for new tactics out there.

And yes, they *should* fire everything.
(And everybody at the top. )
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Hmm, no comments after 100+ reads?
B&N seem pretty bad at what they do (certainly from reading the Fictionwise thread).
B&N are competing with Amazon, who are very very good at what they do.
B&N are losing.
Not sure what else to say?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
They should take a tip from George Costanza, and do the opposite. Barnes and Noble should instead of doing what they do, do what Amazon does. Do stuff that works instead of stuff that doesn't. I use a Kindle, but the more competition there is, the more it keeps Amazon honest.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Bah... I'm so far past caring whether B&N survives or not.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Yeah, I bought the original Nook and Nook Color because they were good products with limited competition at the time. The Color though has proven to be way too limited as a tablet, I don't like their flavor of Android, and they never really kept it up to date. It was worth what I paid for it, no more. When I shopped for my next tablet I never even checked out the new Nooks, just didn't have any interest in them.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Yeah, I bought the original Nook and Nook Color because they were good products with limited competition at the time. The Color though has proven to be way too limited as a tablet, I don't like their flavor of Android, and they never really kept it up to date. It was worth what I paid for it, no more. When I shopped for my next tablet I never even checked out the new Nooks, just didn't have any interest in them.
The original Nook Color was great after rooting and tossing CM on it.

Stock out of the box, though, was pretty lackluster.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"Stock out of the box, though, was pretty lackluster."
Also I personally HATED that UGLY Lanyard /hook thing on the corner of the bezel.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Also I personally HATED that UGLY Lanyard /hook thing on the corner of the bezel.
At first I thought, "Oh, that's kinda...uh...cool."

Then a few seconds later, I wanted to fill it in with playdoh and spray it with rhinolining.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post

Even then, you have to give it to B&N for having the vision to come out with an inexpensive tablet at the time they did. They caught Amazon with their pants down and it was a long time before Amazon could respond with the Fire. Shame they failed to keep the momentum.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post

True, but that was relative to what else was available at the time at that price, which wasn't much. There's a lot of great hardware out there today and most of it comes with a much better ecosystem. The Nook is a niche device. It's not bad, I just think the market is limited. It was a good try, they had to do something. Amazing, really, when you consider they had no experience in selling anything other than books, much less manufacturing in the highly competitive world of electronics.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Even then, you have to give it to B&N for having the vision to come out with an inexpensive tablet at the time they did. They caught Amazon with their pants down and it was a long time before Amazon could respond with the Fire. Shame they failed to keep the momentum.
Yup.
Took'em a whole year to respond.
And two weeks of sales to surpass that one year lead.
Jeff Bezos *has* to be dealing with Cthulhu or one of the other Elder Gods.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm quite happy with my Nook HD+. For the money, I think it's a better product than any out there (that's why I bought it of course).

But their marketing absolutely stinks! I get emails occasionally from Amazon with all kinds of great deals like 99 cent apps or books or videos and I've bought several that I use on my rooted Nook.

B&N on the other hand, sends me emails EVERYDAY advertising the latest $14.99 ebook or wanting to sell me some toys. I often get emails of coupons from them as well that say "**NOOK devices and NOOK books excluded". Well, that excludes me altogether.

The problem's not with the Nooks, it's with their eco-system that they're apparently unwilling to change.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I'm quite happy with my Nook HD+. For the money, I think it's a better product than any out there (that's why I bought it of course).

But their marketing absolutely stinks! I get emails occasionally from Amazon with all kinds of great deals like 99 cent apps or books or videos and I've bought several that I use on my rooted Nook.

B&N on the other hand, sends me emails EVERYDAY advertising the latest $14.99 ebook or wanting to sell me some toys. I often get emails of coupons from them as well that say "**NOOK devices and NOOK books excluded". Well, that excludes me altogether.

The problem's not with the Nooks, it's with their eco-system that they're apparently unwilling to change.
I have the Nook HD+ and could not agree with you more.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post

Yep, that's actually something that is incredibly annoying. I agonized over buying Amazon paperwhite vs the Nook GloTouch. I ended up with the Paperwhite because it was just technologically better.

I don't get all kinds of spammed emails, and the shopping via amazon is just so much easier than barnes and noble. Also the website is so much faster.

It just seems that B&N gets on the cutting edge of something, and then when others come out with comparable products, they just can't keep up.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote