Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Can't figure out dropbox

I am trying to copy a couple of .jpg files from my laptop to the Vox and I want the .jpg's to be in my Gallery on the Vox. The files show up on the laptop's dropbox folders wherever I put them (and I've tried 'my pictures', 'sample pictures' and 'public' and even 'my vox'. However, when I try to navigate to the pictures using Astro, the .jpg files don't show up there, so I can't do anything with them. They also don't appear in the gallery. BTW, there's a whole bunch of graphics in the gallery from various e-books which I don't want there, but I don't want to just delete them in case it messes up something with the books. Does the vox not see .jpg's? Actually, scratch that, I can open the .jpgs from within the Dropbox app, but I would like to just copy them to Dropbox on the Vox and them move them to the Gallery and then unshare them from Dropbox. Why isn't Astro seeing the .jpg's?

I've not had good things happen when I physically tether the vox to the laptop. The Vox doesn't behave gracefully when it parts from the laptop, so I was trying to find a nice way of transferring files.

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-24-2011 at 05:18 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

transferring pictures to the Vox?

How? If you did it physically, how and where did you put the .jpg file? I've got the pictures in dropbox, but I can't do anything with them from there other than open them. I want to move them to the gallery. (Do I need another file manager other than Astro?)
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Actually, scratch that, I can open the .jpgs from within the Dropbox app, but I would like to just copy them to Dropbox on the Vox and them move them to the Gallery and then unshare them from Dropbox.
When you open them in dropbox, they are actually downloaded to the "dropbox" folder on your kobo.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
How? If you did it physically, how and where did you put the .jpg file? I've got the pictures in dropbox, but I can't do anything with them from there other than open them. I want to move them to the gallery. (Do I need another file manager other than Astro?)
Browse to files using Astro, long press on one, or use multi select, and then select move. Browse to your download folder, and stick them in there.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Here's what Dropbox says about opening photos:
Linking to galleries is limited to folders within your Photos folder. You also cannot link to the Photos folder itself.
Here's how it goes for me:
1. put the pics in the dropbox folder on my computer (any file)
2. open the Dropbox app
3. open the Photo folder
4. open the Japan folder
5. tap on the first photo, swipe to view others in the folder
I don't see the pics if I go in directly through Astro or the gallery...therefore I can't save on the Vox itself.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-24-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
A ah I may have the answer. I just spent several hours googling an experimenting to get a photo on to wall paper.
Put photo in dropbox on computer. Find said photo in dropbox on Vox. although it shows it is not the real deal yet. Bring up the menu to download it.... long hold.
Quit dropbox and open Astro.
open dropbox folder (not the blue icon). You should see your photo. Long hold on the file to open file options menu. click edit, click move.
the screen goes back to the file page and nothing seems to have happened, not to worry.
Navigate up one level with the up button.
now click on the download folder and click paste. Your photo is in download folder.
Quit Astro and go into Gallery and there you have it.
Why it looks in download is beyond me.... oh wait it's a phone OS so people aren't moving files just transferring and opening.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Thanks GJSmith! You're a very patient person to go through all those steps to get them onto the device! I'm not, so although I'm happy to know how it is done (just in case...), I think I'll leave them in Dropbox and look at them there!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
49Kat
Fanatic

Aha, thank you so much, everyone!

I had moved my photo's the difficult way--by browsing to the dropbox site, logging in, and downloading that way, but I thought, "Man, oh man, there has to be an easier way than this."

I tried GJSmith's directions with one of the sample photo's in the Vox's dropbox. I had no idea about that 'long hold'. No wonder I couldn't find the photo in Astro, it wasn't downloaded into the Vox. I thought it was, since I used 'refresh' when I was in Vox's Dropbox. Oh, well. It's a learning curve, that's for sure.

Thank you again to everyone who answered here.

Have I mentioned before that I would have been totally lost without this message board? The official Kobo site should link to it in the 'help' section.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
You could try QuickPic rather than Gallery for photos. One of the things I like about it is that you can either include particular folders for it to find photos, or exclude folders. I really disliked Gallery finding the covers of books.

QuickPic is a free app, and it is in several app sites.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
49Kat
Fanatic

Yes, the Gallery finding the covers of books is rather unnecessary, isn't it.

I'll take a look for QuickPic. Does it have any editing capacity?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Yes, the Gallery finding the covers of books is rather unnecessary, isn't it.

I'll take a look for QuickPic. Does it have any editing capacity?
QuickPic has just crop or rotate for editing. There are definitely apps that do editing, but I would rather do that on the PC.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
49Kat
Fanatic

Yes, that would certainly be more precise, doing it on a computer.

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Strange, but I didn't do it that way at all. I just opened the picture in the dropbox and long hold and download it appeared right away in the Gallery for me. Didn't have to move it anywhere.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
Strange, but I didn't do it that way at all. I just opened the picture in the dropbox and long hold and download it appeared right away in the Gallery for me. Didn't have to move it anywhere.
Yup, that worked,too I guess, though, a person may decide to remove the pic
from dropbox for some reason, which is what I had wanted to do.

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-24-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #15
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
From what I have read about Dropbox ( I am using it quite a lot ), while it will sync files and folders on a PC, because of various limitations, it does not sync all files to your mobile devices.

The folders and files you see when you open the Dropbox app are a kind of virtual copy of the folders and files existing on the Dropbox site. Only the files with a green checkmark actually exit on the Vox.

When you use a file manager to browse your Vox's file system these are the files you will see.

If you edit/change the file on your PC or the Dropbox site, the next time you start the dropbox app or use the refresh, the green checkmark will disappear and the file date will update so you know that you need to download the new version of the file.

If you edit the file on your Vox while it is still in the Dropbox folder it will be update to the Dropbox site and your PC's

A LONG PRESS on a file brings up a menu that lets you do the following:

OPEN a file. The file is temporarily(I believe) downloaded by whatever app you select.

DOWNLOAD a file. This actually downloads the file to the Dropbox folder on your Vox in the exact path in which it exists on Dropbox in the cloud.

SHARE... Haven't used this but it is so you can share this file with someone else.

DELETE a file. This deletes the file from Dropbox on the Vox and in the Cloud as well as any PC's synced to Dropbox.

Think of it this way.
Drop box syncs the files in the Dropbox folder on the Vox up to the site and your PCs. It only syncs files down from the site to your Vox when you tell it to.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote