Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #46
bicradash
bicradash began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
Finally finished the post/answer to bicradash. Just go back to page 2 of this thread
Thank you very much for your photos, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry that my question took so much time for you. I should have made a selection for each of the PDF/TEXT/XHTML samples, before posting it. Hope I could repay you some day.

Looking at most of your photos, it seems that the iLiad is capable of displaying multibytes, but does not seem to have Japanese fonts.
Although most of the characters in the Japanese text looks like it's displayed, in some spot it shows the Unicode code point for the character instead. I think this is because the iLiad have the fonts for Chinese, but not for Japanese. Chinese font includes many characters from Japanese, but not quite all of it. It lacks numbers of character needed to read Japanese.

On the other hand, when I look at http://ilimas3.com.sapo.pt/Sample%20...0Languages.JPG, I can see that there's no lack of fonts, and is completely readable. I think this is because the fonts in http://www2.tba.t-com.ne.jp/ing/ing/smpl_1.pdf is embedded to the PDF. So maybe, if I convert the HTMLs to a PDF file with Japanese fonts embedded inside, I may be able to read Japanese texts (although this will significantly increase the size of the PDF file).

Oh, and it seems that the iLiad can't display UTF-8 plain text. I somehow had a wrong idea that the iLiad have a text viewer.

I just hope there will be some way to include Japanese fonts to it's OS... In this current status, to read Japanese texts, I would have to convert it to a PDF file /w embedded fonts. That will increase the file size a lot, not to mention the needless troubles to do so.

Again, thank you very very much for your photos. The information meant a lot for peoples eagerly waiting to buy iLiad in Japan.
bicradash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 AM   #47
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I also thought it would read .txt files...says so in the data-pdf after all...:-)

I hope they add that before release...I hate using PDF...too bulky in my opinion....
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #48
avid
Enthusiast
avid has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm TX, Ebookwise 1150, Cybook Gen 3
Absolutely great information! Thanks so much for your time and effort!

My question - how does the Iliad feel to sit and read with it for several hours? My interest is in reading books so I am wondering how comfortable it is to use in that fashion. Are the pages as comfortable to read as a paper book? Is it easy on the eyes in good lighting?
My problem is that I can't read books on small screens - I need to "see" the whole page - at least paperback size.

I do NOT expect you to sit and read for hours - please just your thoughts on this based on your use so far. Thanks so much!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #49
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

About annotation, how thin and accurate are the drawn lines? PDAs always have annoyingly thick lines and hence lousy "notetaking" resolution. With wacomm (sp?) technology the Iliad could be much better at this....is it?
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #50
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
My internet is down again

But i found a bit of here at work

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Henrique!

I just read over your posts again (I thought I might have missed something).

Anyway, you never actually said if you think the iLiad is cool gizmo or not. Yes/No?!

That should be a good summary of the device (-:

Thanks for your time!
It's amazing hoy you can forget the important stuff

The Iliad:

- Has a beautiful box with a great design

- Turns a lot of heads because of size, functionality. Some of my friends though the Librie was a big PDA. The Iliad looks like a mini laptop.

- Makes it easy to read my ebooks. I just have to copy them to a CF card, or connect the device has an USB hard drive.

- Is definitely a cool device
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
I don't know if you have access to a Mac Henrique. If you do could you test whether a Safari webarchive is viewable. If you don't have a Mac I've uploaded a .webarchive file to HERE

I appreciate all the work you've put in on testing this device.

Thanks

The Iliad needs a file extension to "know" what viewer it will use.

Tried renaming to htm, but it shows code not page layout (same in a browser pc).

Will probably require a dedicated viewer.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicradash
Oh, and it seems that the iLiad can't display UTF-8 plain text. I somehow had a wrong idea that the iLiad have a text viewer.
Actually i changed the txt to htm because the device wasn't recognizing the format. Think the text viewer is off in my OS

So it's the xhtml viewer in the pics.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I also thought it would read .txt files...says so in the data-pdf after all...:-)

I hope they add that before release...I hate using PDF...too bulky in my opinion....
Usually i would agree but since i can easily import text to Indesign and export the pdf, i'm giving it a thumbs up.
I can easily create static texts with formating, hiphenization, titles, italics and bolds (Baen docs for instance are great).

Of course the regular user could simply use a program lke "WinPDF" to print to a pdf file. Just remenber to set page size to 12x16 cm

Now i just have to find a tool to make auto pdf's from a series of images (comics and mangas) .

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid
Absolutely great information! Thanks so much for your time and effort!

My question - how does the Iliad feel to sit and read with it for several hours? My interest is in reading books so I am wondering how comfortable it is to use in that fashion. Are the pages as comfortable to read as a paper book? Is it easy on the eyes in good lighting?
Sofar i have only read Flag in Exile (Hornor Harrigton from BAEN). I'm used to the contrast of the Librie, so the Iliad is even easier to read.

When i showed the device to friends they agree it is has easy to read has paper.

The more light the easier it is to read, that's the great advantage of eink

Quote:
My problem is that I can't read books on small screens - I need to "see" the whole page - at least paperback size.

I do NOT expect you to sit and read for hours - please just your thoughts on this based on your use so far. Thanks so much!
Keep in mind you can paginate your texts to the 12x16 cm.

Simply print something to this size and imagine it's eink.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor
About annotation, how thin and accurate are the drawn lines? PDAs always have annoyingly thick lines and hence lousy "notetaking" resolution. With wacomm (sp?) technology the Iliad could be much better at this....is it?
My OS version only allows default thickness, i can't make it thinner or bolder.

The final version allow's it, but i can only guess at the "quality".

Last edited by Henrycat; 05-02-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #51
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Are you a Librie owner? Go take a look at:

http://librie.2ya.com/
Looks like it's time to change your sig line, Henrycat

You mentioned lefty readers and the flip bar -- is there a way to invert the screen (turn it upside down) on the iLiad? That would effectively put the flip bar on the other side....

I'm not a lefty (though some of my best friends are lefties ), but I like to hold my books with either hand, so being able to put the bar on the other side would be a boon.

And thanks for taking the time and (considerable effort, given your PC issues) to share!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #52
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Looks like it's time to change your sig line, Henrycat

You mentioned lefty readers and the flip bar -- is there a way to invert the screen (turn it upside down) on the iLiad? That would effectively put the flip bar on the other side....

I'm not a lefty (though some of my best friends are lefties ), but I like to hold my books with either hand, so being able to put the bar on the other side would be a boon.

And thanks for taking the time and (considerable effort, given your PC issues) to share!
Don' know but it should be easy to do in the OS.

The only thing would be the direct access buttons, which would be upside-down

I still have my website, but since i stated working i havn't had much time.

Maybe i should find someone to take it up for the Sony reader. I think it can read the same files...
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #53
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Any news yet when the new OS version should be available?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #54
Henrycat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Any news yet when the new OS version should be available?
Nothing yet, but believe me when i say i'm expecting it more than anyone else
Old 05-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #55
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

Couple extra questions..

Hi Henry, thanks for all the info and pics.
One dissapointment though is that you can't browse files on a PC using wireless. The PDF brochure on iRex site shows that as a feature. Maybe it will be on the release OS. Did they mention that?
I wonder if it is possible to flip the screen to a landscape mode, so that you can for example read large format comic books, or any other file where too much scaling is undesirable. Is that possible? Did they mention plans to add such a feature?
again, thanks
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:47 AM   #56
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachasor
My OS version only allows default thickness, i can't make it thinner or bolder.

The final version allow's it, but i can only guess at the "quality".
Is the default thickness the same as a PDA then? I haven't seen any pictures of this and I don't think you've made any direct commentry on this. If you can put up a pic that would be nice. : )
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #57
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Hey henrycat!

I just sent a PM with two links to PDFs I'd like you to try on the Iliad. One of them is a bit problematc, so it would be interesting to see how well it works on the Iliad. I can't post them here because anybody would be able to DL them and I think that would be rather illiegal...^^

If you have the time, please take pictures of page3 in both "books" and put them up here in the thread.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #58
Henrycat
Zealot

More answers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTalker
Hi Henry, thanks for all the info and pics.
One dissapointment though is that you can't browse files on a PC using wireless. The PDF brochure on iRex site shows that as a feature. Maybe it will be on the release OS. Did they mention that?
I wonder if it is possible to flip the screen to a landscape mode, so that you can for example read large format comic books, or any other file where too much scaling is undesirable. Is that possible? Did they mention plans to add such a feature?
again, thanks
They only meant to say you can put your content on the device, not that you could browse contents wirelessly.

Hopefully they will be able to add that possibility till the end of the year :P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor
Is the default thickness the same as a PDA then? I haven't seen any pictures of this and I don't think you've made any direct commentry on this. If you can put up a pic that would be nice. : )
You can see the picture on iRex website. Just be carefull because it's a really big picture. It also gives a good idea of how the grey background is.

http://www.irextechnologies.com/photos.htm

Last edited by Henrycat; 05-03-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #59
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
[QUOTE=Henrycat]More answers

Originally Posted by LittleTalker

Quote:
They only meant to say you can put your content on the device, not that you could browse contents wirelessly.

May be I'm stupid enough, but what does this answer below mean?

Quoted from Irex faq:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/faq.htm

"Is the E-reader restricted to feeding by iDS only?"

"No, The E-reader is an open system that also works with your laptop/PC (wireless/wired). The E-reader is also fit for reading from a USB stick, SD cards and CF2."

Do they mean, to "work with your laptop/PC (wireless/wired)" - but no browsing files? But there is no sens in such work!
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #60
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I guess they mean "the device works with your PC/Laptop...much like a PDA actually...ever seen a pda that can browse data on your PC?
(there is software for this, but out of the box, all you can do is sync...)

at least that's the way it is with my PDA