Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #61
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
When I contacted B&N about initially not even being able to open the file to read it, they told me it's readable only in Nook Study. So if you can install Nook Study onto a tablet, that's the only way it's readable on tablets. I was already not happy with B&N forcing me to install another piece of their software just for one book. And I made sure I never bought another Page Perfect Book from them again. Actually, I seldom buy from B&N now even if it's a regular epub.
Here's another example from my library (another freebie):
Trend Following Analytics: Performance Proof for the World's Most Controversial & Successful Black Swan Trading Strategy (PagePerfect NOOK Book)

This one is a larger format textbook. The device compatibility on the page is the same as the previous one. It will open on my Nook HD+ and in NookStudy, but not on my Nexus 7. I suspect if I had a larger Android tablet (10" or so), it would probably be available there, but I can't swear to that.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #62
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, but for detailed help you should read the ReadMe and the help files in the plugin.
It seems the 'Other Tools' referenced in the help files are not included in this version of the Tools.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #63
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The only program that will open these books is Nook Study, nothing else.
When that format first came out this was true. When I first got my Nook HD, it couldn't open them while my old Nook Color could. As hwlester said, B&N now supports reading them on all the non-eink Nook devices, the Windows 8 app, and the iOS app. Still a good idea to avoid that format in particular, and B&N books in general!

I have a handful of the PagePerfect Nookbooks/pdfs, but only one I actually paid for and care about being able to keep reading. I can open it in ADE 2.0 which handles B&N's flavor of Adobe DRM (provided the key is still based on name and credit card). So that's a little better then only being able to read it with B&N apps, but not much.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #64
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
It seems the 'Other Tools' referenced in the help files are not included in this version of the Tools.
It is included as a separate download linked from alf's blog right underneath the main tools.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #65
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They were a separate zip, and the download link was removed from the post. Perhaps there will be some updates for them too?
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #66
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
They were a separate zip, and the download link was removed from the post. Perhaps there will be some updates for them too?
Just looked, and you're right! The link was removed!

google "other tools.zip" and you should find it, it is hosted by the same sharing service (datafilehost).

... And I also found a GitHub repository at psyrendust/dedrm-ebook-tools -- how utterly daring. That has the other tools as well.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #67
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

google "other tools.zip" and you should find it, it is hosted by the same sharing service (datafilehost).

... And I also found a GitHub repository at psyrendust/dedrm-ebook-tools -- how utterly daring. That has the other tools as well.
Yes couldn't find the link on Alf's site. Posted on there and was given the link to GitHub but they list an old version from Tools 6.0.8.

As lkmiller posted maybe there will be an update to them.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Yes couldn't find the link on Alf's site. Posted on there and was given the link to GitHub but they list an old version from Tools 6.0.8.

As lkmiller posted maybe there will be an update to them.
Unless 6.0.9 and 6.1.0 are not improvements to the tools itself, but only the calibre plugin side of things.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #69
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Malwarebytes alarms. Uncheck options to avoid spyware. Fake download buttons as ads.
Avast AV has a bit of a panic attack as well, when clicking on Alf's download links. Easy to get around though (just smack Avast on that big snout and tell it "DOWN! BAD DOG!") and once that was bypassed ,no issues, hassle, or problems whatsoever.

DRM-stripping tools are auto-banned from a lot of non-sketchy (=dubious) file hosting services, particularly around the US, because it's just not worth the hassle of spending the next few years without internet while trying to prove your innocence...

As others have pointed out, it's just easier for Alf and others like him to host their files on sites that are less strict.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Unless 6.0.9 and 6.1.0 are not improvements to the tools itself, but only the calibre plugin side of things.
... which is absolutely correct. The Other Tools should not have changed.

And any version of old tools will still do everything that that version did -- it won't stop working just because there was an update. However, you may be missing bugfixes that may or may not matter, but really I do not know whether the Other Tools actually get updates or how often they need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticealf.wordpress.com
Changes in 6.1.0:
  • Fix plugin multiple import problem
  • Ftypo in stand alone Mac tools
  • New help file B&N keys

Changes in 6.0.9:
  • Compatibility fixes for QT5
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #71
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The Windows drop target is still 6.0.8, so I assume this is the case.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #72
hwlester
Wizard

Kinda hoping that a future version of the drop target will add support for Kindle for Android's AmazonSecureStorage.xml that was added to the k4mobidedrm.py tool a few versions back. I generally download from the MYK site or pull off my Kindle Touch, but on Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine, this gives me black & white covers, where if I pull them from an Android device, I get color covers.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #73
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Kinda hoping that a future version of the drop target will add support for Kindle for Android's AmazonSecureStorage.xml that was added to the k4mobidedrm.py tool a few versions back. I generally download from the MYK site or pull off my Kindle Touch, but on Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine, this gives me black & white covers, where if I pull them from an Android device, I get color covers.
If you go to Alf's site one of the last posts has a link to updated K for Android tools.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #74
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Yeah, don't know if this was actually for a reason or not. Might have been left out when the post was edited for 6.1.0. Just checked and found that the file is still there on the file hosting site. Only the link is missing from the current post.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #75
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
... which is absolutely correct. The Other Tools should not have changed.

And any version of old tools will still do everything that that version did -- it won't stop working just because there was an update. However, you may be missing bugfixes that may or may not matter, but really I do not know whether the Other Tools actually get updates or how often they need it.
One thing I can think of is including the calibre plug-in for obok. I think it just has the python script in there now.