Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What orientation and size do you find yourself using the most?
Portrait - Small 27 35.53%
Portrait - Medium 38 50.00%
Portrait - Large 5 6.58%
Landscape - Small 0 0%
Landscape - Medium 0 0%
Landscape - Large 2 2.63%
Cannot decide / use more than one equally 4 5.26%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
What orientation and size do you read at?

When I first bought my reader, I pretty much used small size in portrait orientation. Now I almost always have the text set on medium in portrait mode.

Which do you find yourself most often using?
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Portrait and small. Landscape could be useful if it would work. Now I get a totally messed up screen in landscape.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Actually it depends on the size of small/medium/large plus the ambient light. You might the first part of the preceding sentence is facetious, but remember with BD for .lrf and/or MSword for .rtf we can make our own sizes. On .lrx or .pdf books we may be stuck with whatever size we purchased.

On my own sized books using BD, I will read with small in good light & bump up the size as the light becomes worse.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
For .lrf files, I usually use medium in portrait. I've used landscape for a few pdf files, but that's all.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
I've noticed that some books have different size text so depending on that I choose the size. Most of the time I use small and I always use it in portrait.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a pretty meaningless poll, since what's "medium" in one book could be smaller than what's "small" in another. Sorry, LaughingVulcan, but it's not comparing like with like.

I format all the books I create myself such that I can read them comfortably in "small" size. I never use landscape.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is a pretty meaningless poll, since what's "medium" in one book could be smaller than what's "small" in another. Sorry, LaughingVulcan, but it's not comparing like with like.

I format all the books I create myself such that I can read them comfortably in "small" size. I never use landscape.
Yeah indeed. You're right about that.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Books I format myself, I read in small. Other books, it depends on the text size at small.

And Ihave to agree this poll is one of the more well useless polls as books do not always have the same text size at small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
60% Portrait - Small
30% Portrait - Medium
10% Portrait - Large

with default fonts in BD - 10 normal (cannot stand bold).

Last edited by astra; 09-03-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Forgot about Large.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Until recently I read all my e-books in portrait orientation because I found the Reader's built-in support for landscape to be lacking.

Then I stumbled over pdflrf, which does an amazing job converting complex PDF files.

Today, whenever I have to deal with complex documents (e.g. multi-column or containing tables), I use the pdflrf landscape setting to read documents in landscape orientation. Works great!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I format the books I convert so that they are comfortable both in landscape mode (size small) and in portrait mode (size medium). When starting with a Baen html file and using html2lrf, this means using the --font-delta=-1 switch.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When using Book Designer, I use 11point for the paragraph font size. That looks good to me at small. When I use html2lrf or any of the libprs500 tools to convert, I try to set the font size using the font-delta option to be close to that size for small.

When reading Connect Store books, I usually use medium as they set the small font too small most of the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Books I format myself, I read in small. Other books, it depends on the text size at small.
What JSWolf said.

I agree that the poll could be set up better, but even so, it has gotten a nice discussion going.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #14
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Yes, it depends on the text size of the book. I buy mostly from Connect. Unfortunately, some of them are much too small to read in Portrait. I need Landscape Large.

I admit, I am over 50 but my eyes are not that bad. I do most of my office paper work without glasses. I think Large (whether Portrait or Landscape) should be large print - kind of like a large print book. (No, I don't read large print books - yet.)

Betty

Last edited by BettyE; 09-04-2007 at 10:14 PM.
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #15
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Actually it depends on the size of small/medium/large plus the ambient light. You might the first part of the preceding sentence is facetious, but remember with BD for .lrf and/or MSword for .rtf we can make our own sizes. On .lrx or .pdf books we may be stuck with whatever size we purchased.

On my own sized books using BD, I will read with small in good light & bump up the size as the light becomes worse.
True, as several have pointed out, but I think you were the first. I debated whether I should make it a "check all that apply," but I was more interested in if users *have* a favorite mode they use most often. I find myself formatting my BD files now into a size that I read in "Medium," and it's the size of the majority of my Sony acquired books.

But mileage may vary greatly, which is why I included the last two options, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Sure, they can be different... But I also find myself switching into Medium mode just out of default. I'm also wondering if anyone else finds most "Small" format too small in general - especially for content that isn't created by the user. I think I do, and it seems to be pretty consistent for me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When using Book Designer, I use 11point for the paragraph font size. That looks good to me at small. When I use html2lrf or any of the libprs500 tools to convert, I try to set the font size using the font-delta option to be close to that size for small.

When reading Connect Store books, I usually use medium as they set the small font too small most of the time.
Interesting. I usually format my BD books at 9 or 10 point, fully expecting to bump it to Medium. I suppose it shows in the books I've uploaded, also.

And thanks to everyone else so far for responding!
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote