Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Lightbulb Osmo: Personal organizer

EDIT 20100427: new release: v4

IMPORTANT: version 4 and up needs the core base package in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=887725

Osmo - Personal organizer for iRex DR800 and DR1000

Hi,

I'm glad to present you a new port for the DR800, Osmo, a personal organizer.

From the original authors (http://clayo.org/osmo/):

Osmo is a handy personal organizer, which includes calendar, tasks manager, address book and notes modules. It was designed to be a small, easy to use and good looking PIM tool to help to manage personal information.

This port is based on as today last release (v0.2.10), with a few differences:
- fixed issues where keyboard remain visible after quit or at start
- added a quit button in the toolbar
- in calendar summary:
. current time is only updated each minute, to save some screen refresh and battery
. added a button to show popup menu (was mouse right-button)
. click over date to select month
- change default directory for config and data: <SD root>/Programs/_config/.osmo
- default font is smaller
- libical support has been compiled in, so you can import/export calendars in .ics format.
- ditto for libgtkhtml 2.x, compiled and included
- printing has been disabled

I provide the modified source files with this package. Look into src directory.

Steps to install:
1. enable SD card folders browsing (look for the dr.ini file hack in mobileread forum)
2. connect device to your computer using the USB cable
3. create a folder "/Programs" in SD card root
4. you need libs core package installed into SD card/Programs/_base
5. copy "_osmo" directory and "Osmo.desktop" file there
6. create a folder called "_config" in "/Programs"

Now, you should have something like:
Code:
    SD card
        /Programs
            _base           (directory)
            _config         (directory)
            _osmo           (directory)
            Osmo.desktop    (file)

Using Osmo:
Navigate to SD card -> Select Programs folder -> tap on Osmo icon.

If you "exit" using DR800 menu, Osmo will remain on the device memory until you reboot the device, so the next time you click onto Osmo icon it will show very fast. To do a clean exit use the quit buttons on the tabs toolbar.

You could import your own calendars in .ics format from the options settings.
You can import your contacts in csv format as well.

It could be a good idea to run Osmo on your computer first, configure it, import your contacts, calendar, etc and then copy the final configuration to the DR800.
The config is located in /home/<username>/.osmo on Linux machines, just copy that folder to <SD root>/Programs/_config on your DR800 and you'll save a lot of time.

Enjoy,
Iņigo

Changes:
Code:
v4 - 2010/04/27 23:14
. needs libs from core _base package v1

v3 - 2010/04/17 00:03
. needs libs from core _base package v0: libical, libicalss, libicalvcal,
  libgtkspell
. libgtkhtml is not included more, as DR base system includes it

v2 - 2010/04/03 02:13
. updated to Osmo v0.2.10
. this new version requires libgtkhtml 2.x, compiled and included
. fixed issues where keyboard remain visible after quit or at start
. calendar: added a button to show popup menu (was mouse right-button)
. calendar: click over date to select month
. default font is smaller

v1 - 2010/03/25 17:14
. based on Osmo v0.2.8
. configuration goes to /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_config/.osmo
. added a quit button in the toolbar
. compiled with ics support
. in calendar summary, current time is only updated each minute,
  to avoid extra screen refresh and save battery
. printing disabled

v0 - 2010/03/24
. based on Osmo v0.2.8
. initial test release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	osmo-1.png
Views:	1431
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	49079   Click image for larger version

Name:	osmo-2.png
Views:	1406
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	49080   Click image for larger version

Name:	osmo-3.png
Views:	1364
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	49081  
Attached Files
File Type: gz osmo-0.2.10-dr-v4.tar.gz (891.2 KB, 1114 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 04-27-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: New release: v4
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
No lo he probado todavía pero tiene muy buena pinta. Sabes si se pueden importar de GMail o Yahoo de alguna forma la agenda. Y otra cosa ŋte funcionan las notas? ŋPuedes escribir con el pen o es por el teclado virtual?

I have not tested but looks good. You know if work import from Gmail or Yahoo Calendar. Can you take notes with the stylus?

Last edited by vakya; 03-25-2010 at 08:22 AM.
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
nice job... looks promising...

*** no longer applies ***

Last edited by pauli; 03-25-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Iņigo fixed this already, thnx
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakya View Post
No lo he probado todavía pero tiene muy buena pinta. Sabes si se pueden importar de GMail o Yahoo de alguna forma la agenda. Y otra cosa ŋte funcionan las notas? ŋPuedes escribir con el pen o es por el teclado virtual?

I have not tested but looks good. You know if work import from Gmail or Yahoo Calendar. Can you take notes with the stylus?
[te contesto sķlo en inglés por no escribir 2 veces lo mismo, vago estoy hoy . Díme si no entiendes para traducirlo]

Import calendars: yes, but not tested by myself. Use .ics format in calendar options settings tab
Notes: using virtual keyboard
Old 03-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
nice job... looks promising...

Word of caution: the timer updating every second is a nice feature, HOWEVER this also has a high impact on battery usage. It appears that the timer update initiates a display update every second. When you "close" the application it's actually still burning away the battery. Is it possible to change the timer interval?
That was one of my concerns.
Now I've modified the code to only update the current time each minute.
Anyway, I don't think battery is wasted when Osmo is hidden because no screen refresh is due.
Moreover, screen refresh process is totally different in DR800 than in Iliad. *I guess* only the widget is updated, not the whole screen.

Iņigo
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
vakya
Connoisseur

Work perfect in DR800SG. Work in spanish.

Por favor me puedes explicar en castellano la salida. Me da un error de que la aplicaciķn ya está abierta al entrar.

Last edited by vakya; 03-25-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
vakya
Connoisseur

Otro tema es al entrar en las notas y salir de la aplicaciķn... el teclado no desaparece ŋde que puede ser?

Virutal keyboard don't hide
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Work perfect in DR800SG. Work in spanish.

Por favor me puedes explicar en castellano la salida. Me da un error de que la aplicaciķn ya está abierta al entrar.
No te termino de entender. Para salir clicka el último botķn de la barra de herramientas en las diferentes vistas de calendario, notas, contactos y tareas.

Si "sales" seleccionando el menú del DR800 la aplicaciķn se esconde, pero no se termina.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Otro tema es al entrar en las notas y salir de la aplicaciķn... el teclado no desaparece ŋde que puede ser?

Virutal keyboard don't hide
Tiene pinta de ser un bug, intentaré corregirlo este fin de semana.

Smell like a bug, I'll try to fix it this weekend.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
vakya
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
No te termino de entender. Para salir clicka el último botķn de la barra de herramientas en las diferentes vistas de calendario, notas, contactos y tareas.

Si "sales" seleccionando el menú del DR800 la aplicaciķn se esconde, pero no se termina.
A salir con el menú del DR800 te refieres a "Volver al menú de inicio", sale de la aplicaciķn pero luego ya no me deja entrar porque ya está activa.

To go with the DR800 menu you refer to "Back to the Start menu", exit the application but then they will not let me go because it is already active.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
A salir con el menú del DR800 te refieres a "Volver al menú de inicio", sale de la aplicaciķn pero luego ya no me deja entrar porque ya está activa.

To go with the DR800 menu you refer to "Back to the Start menu", exit the application but then they will not let me go because it is already active.
Sí, me refiero a eso. No lo hagas, sal utilizando el botķn QUIT de la barra de herramientas.

Yes, I mean that. Don't do it, exit clicking on QUIT button in toolbar.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi Iņigo,

The problem with the keyboard is a DR specific thing. It appears/disappears 'automagically' when needed, however when the application closes and the keyboard is still shown, it will not disappear.
The easiest trick is to change the quit-callback functions to something like this:

Code:
void
calendar_quit_app_cb (GtkWidget *widget, gpointer user_data)
{
    //set focus to button to remove keyboard
    gtk_widget_grab_focus(widget);

GUI *appGUI = (GUI *)user_data;
    gui_quit_osmo (appGUI);
}
(I also changed the signature of the function, which is more appropriate for this kind of callback.)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Hi Iņigo,

The problem with the keyboard is a DR specific thing. It appears/disappears 'automagically' when needed, however when the application closes and the keyboard is still shown, it will not disappear.
The easiest trick is to change the quit-callback functions to something like this:

Code:
void
calendar_quit_app_cb (GtkWidget *widget, gpointer user_data)
{
    //set focus to button to remove keyboard
    gtk_widget_grab_focus(widget);

GUI *appGUI = (GUI *)user_data;
    gui_quit_osmo (appGUI);
}
(I also changed the signature of the function, which is more appropriate for this kind of callback.)
Ok, thanks for the point.
I'm used to Iliad, where the keyboard is a different program/process.
I'll post a new version in a few days.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Ok, thanks for the point.
I'm used to Iliad, where the keyboard is a different program/process.
I'll post a new version in a few days.
I played a little bit with Osmo on my DR1000, the patch above does not solve everything. It seems that when you switch from (internal) app, i.e. Contacts to Calendar, this keyboard stays on and is not removed when quiting the applications. I will see if I also find some time to look at it. I will posts updates here.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Does clicking with the button on a penabled pen bring up a context menu? I ask because, for the record, I can't find my stylus and have just ordered a replacement pen. I'm definitely tethering the new one to the device, since I'm not really liking the m-edge cover. I do hope that iRex will build a silo into any future units.

That aside, this might be a really useful program for me. Thanks Iņigo.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agenda, dr800, osmo, personal organizer