Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I am now part of your family!

So I purchased a Aura last week and just got it in a couple of days ago. It was between the new Paperwhite (3rd gen) and the Aura. In the end, I wanted the expanded storage and continue supporting alternative companies (anything that makes Amazon less of a monopoly and creates more competition).

Unfortunately, my old ereader (Aztak Pocket Pro) died a few years back. I opened her up thinking the battery had gone kaput. Tested the battery, still good. Screen would not refresh or anything, so I'm fairly confident the digitizer or some other component of the display went kaput. At the time, Aztak had announced that they were leaving the ereader business completely and no hardware support was going to be given.

So I left it in a drawer and went back to using my tablet and my phone for reading. It was nice for a while to just carry around a single device (it's been a phablet for last few years) for all of my needs. However with my increasing appetite for reading serial novels, my eyes and my level of energy just drops too rapidly with a back-lit screen. I can read for longer now, again.

The backlight is nice. Unfortunately the device's build quality leaves a bit to be desired. There is very noticeable LEDs visible in the top left and bottom right portions of the bezel edges. Overall it seems like the front-lighting was installed at an angle. The light button is slightly recessed, so not sure if that was intentional or just poor manufacturing and craftsmanship.

Now I just need to convert and de-DRM my Kindle purchases over to my new Aura. I already have about a dozen purchases through Kobo and since getting the Aura I've purchased two more books (start of a series and sub-series).
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome. No matter the ereader backlight issues are abound unless you very lucky or are pretty cas about it. The Aura's a good buy at its current price point imho. Kudos for stepping out and not helping bezos sleep on an even bigger pile of money tonight.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If back light bleeds light at edge of screen bad enough to distract from your reading exchange it for new Aura without backlight problems while you still can.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yes, there's no LED at the top, so I'm guessing you're talking about bleed? Can you get a good photo?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
I am now part of your family!

Great news, Acreo!

The next time we're in Chicago, we'll stay at your place!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote