Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #31
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsoir View Post
is it possible to downgrade from 5.13.4 to 5.13.3 and then to jailbrake?
No.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #32
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
It worked very well, Thank you very much!!!
BUT I've got a little scared when just after installing the factory firmware, it got stuck a while in the screen with the boy under the tree...
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #33
alex1798
alex1798 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Noob here.

I followed and completed religiously all steps included 10-G (with phtyon and screensavers included), I chose FW 5.11.2. All the steps without loggin into amazon account and wifi disabled on my device. Now I can see the screensavers hack succesfully installed screen while the device sleeps and the txt saying jailbreak was succesfull

My questions are:

1. how to access kual scren? theres no icon on screen or option in settings. it boots to the kindle home screen.
2. can I now connect to my wifi, internet and login into my amazon account without it updating FW automatically?

Thank you
alex1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1798 View Post
My questions are:

1. how to access kual scren? theres no icon on screen or option in settings. it boots to the kindle home screen.
2. can I now connect to my wifi, internet and login into my amazon account without it updating FW automatically?

Thank you
1. There should be a KUAL icon on the homescreen. If it's not showing up, I think there might be a KUAL hotfix from the KUAL coplate package that you can install? I'm not super sure. I've stuck to 5.10.1.3 on my PW4s.

2. You'll need to install the KUAL+ Helper add-on from the snapshots and then activate "Block OTA updates" via KUAL menu to prevent automatic updates.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #35
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
1. There should be a KUAL icon on the homescreen. If it's not showing up, I think there might be a KUAL hotfix from the KUAL coplate package that you can install? I'm not super sure. I've stuck to 5.10.1.3 on my PW4s.

2. You'll need to install the KUAL+ Helper add-on from the snapshots and then activate "Block OTA updates" via KUAL menu to prevent automatic updates.
I don't believe the OTA blocker works on the most recent firmware. There is a thread about renaming OTA code to prevent it running elsewhere for those releases.

Dave
Advert
Old 12-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #36
alex1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

I forgot to copy Update_KUALBooklet_44a61b6_install.bin into mrpackages folder when I copied the phyton and screensaver. So that was my fault.

I copied Update_KUALBooklet_44a61b6_install.bin to mrpackages , run the ;log thing and now I see the KUAL doc on my library.
I also downloaded and copied the kual+ and helper into the extensions folder on my device, opened KUAL document on kindle, and they automatically appeared there, and I blocked OTA updates. Thank you so much.

I suggest maybe you could add that (about KUAL being a doc and downloading and installing helper and + to device into extensions folder, and to disable OTAs) to all the newbies as myself that will come as I did, by reading a feed from my google homepage in a website about ereaders, and we´re not familiar with the jailbraeak scene.
Thank you a second time.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #37
alex1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I don't believe the OTA blocker works on the most recent firmware. There is a thread about renaming OTA code to prevent it running elsewhere for those releases.

Dave
I used FW 5.11.2. as recommended in the guide. Am I good? because I already connected to the internet and my account.

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #38
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1798 View Post
I used FW 5.11.2. as recommended in the guide. Am I good? because I already connected to the internet and my account.

Thank you.
Someone else will have to nswer this about that version, I know that the 5.12 and higher releases are problematic. I know that the 5.10.x release I am running is not a problem.

Contact the author of the thread on this as he might know.

Dave
Old 12-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post

Dave
SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK still works on 5.11 so the Helper+ blocker will still work.

I did mention this in Step 9 of the guide:
Quote:
9. You can now install "customer" firmware and the jailbreak will survive (up to 5.13.3 at least).
*Note: You can use the KUAL Helper+ add-on to create update blockers that will work up to FW 5.11.x. Sadly, FW 5.12 and newer require more drastic methods so unless there's a feature on FW 5.12/13 you absolutely must have, I'd advise sticking to FW 5.11.x or lower.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #40
Giacotronic
Giacotronic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 4th
Thanks so much for this top notch, newbee friendly tutorial.
I have two questions after jailbreaking successfully:
1. I am not sure if I have installed the KUAL Helpers correctly. Am I ok when they appear in the KUAL menu, i.e. block OTA updates? The checkmark disappears when I restart KUAL. Is this ok?
2. I moved an EPUB ebook into the documents folder. However, this ebook does not appear in my library. What did I do wrong?
Cheers!
Giacotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Giacotronic:

1. Yep, the checkmark state is transient in KUAL.

2. That's perfectly normal? You should perhaps look into KOReader if you really want to read ePubs.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #42
Giacotronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Giacotronic:

2. That's perfectly normal? You should perhaps look into KOReader if you really want to read ePubs.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #43
Giacotronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Giacotronic:

I went through the KOReader installation process but I can´t make it work.

1. Installed KPV Booklet.
2. had previously Installed KUAL (works)
3. Installed KOReader (Unzipped the whole archive into the Kindle's USB root directory)
4. KOReader neither does not appear under the KUAL Helper section nor does it appear anywhere else...
Old 12-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KPVBooklet is deprecated, and has absolutely zero chance in hell to work on a PW4.

If you don't actually see a top-level KOReader button in KUAL, you also failed at extracting stuff properly and/or in the right place.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #45
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

@NiLuJe
Something I've been meaning to ask, is it possible to create a KOReader launcher similar to KUAL? I mean a link so one can just launch KOReader from Kindle homescreen rather than having to go through KUAL > KOReader? Thanks!

Tags
pw4 jailbreak