Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #256
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Thanks for the review links. My PW reached its first destination today, but I won't get it in my hands until next week. I'll read reviews while I wait
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #257
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looking at the picture showing the PW4 and PW5, the PW5 has more contrast. That and it's a 6.8" screen makes it much better then the PW4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #258
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looking at the picture showing the PW4 and PW5, the PW5 has more contrast. That and it's a 6.8" screen makes it much better then the PW4.
It also appears to be MUCH faster (good e-reader video review).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #259
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Received the PW, it's a good e-reader, better screen than the PW4, faster than the Libra2 and Sage but still, the Oasis 3 and the Libra 2 have a better screen.
I'll return it and hope for a premium Kindle next year, in the meantime, the Kobo Sage will become my main reader.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #260
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Received the PW, it's a good e-reader, better screen than the PW4, faster than the Libra2 and Sage but still, the Oasis 3 and the Libra 2 have a better screen.
I'll return it and hope for a premium Kindle next year, in the meantime, the Kobo Sage will become my main reader.
what other new features on a premium Kindle are you hoping for? personally other than adding extra screen size/storage i'd say the possibility of adding something new is already at the end game.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #261
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
what other new features on a premium Kindle are you hoping for? personally other than adding extra screen size/storage i'd say the possibility of adding something new is already at the end game.

best wishes koboy
I prefer the glass layer of Voyage and Oasis, it attracts less fingerprints. I think the contrast / blacks can still be a bit better ( Libra 2 and Sage have a better contrast, darker blacks)
And I like the premium feeling of the Voyage and Oasis. They are well built.
My wish would be a slightly bigger screen made of glass, better contrast, deeper blacks, super fast, buttons, USB-C, great battery and a magnetic cover ( to snap it in and out like the Voyage)
Old 10-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #262
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I prefer the glass layer of Voyage and Oasis, it attracts less fingerprints. I think the contrast / blacks can still be a bit better ( Libra 2 and Sage have a better contrast, darker blacks)
And I like the premium feeling of the Voyage and Oasis. They are well built.
My wish would be a slightly bigger screen made of glass, better contrast, deeper blacks, super fast, buttons, USB-C, great battery and a magnetic cover ( to snap it in and out like the Voyage)
i'd like to see an updated Kindle Voyage (same form factor) with the features of the PW5 and the new Kobo's (i won't hold my breath) i agree the glass screen would be nice to see on other new e-readers, but i doubt very much that it will happen.

hence my comment all you can hope for with a new Oasis is a bigger screen/storage and the USB-C. the majority of people on here seem to prefer/think bigger is better i'm the complete opposite. my must have feature is portability which is why i will only buy a 6 inch e-reader. i'm hoping at some point Amazon will update the PW4 to have the same features as the PW5.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #263
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

hence my comment all you can hope for with a new Oasis is a bigger screen/storage and the USB-C. the majority of people on here seem to prefer/think bigger is better i'm the complete opposite. my must have feature is portability which is why i will only buy a 6 inch e-reader. i'm hoping at some point Amazon will update the PW4 to have the same features as the PW5.

best wishes koboy
I would expect a Carta 1200 screen in a new Oasis.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #264
Almamida
Guru

I would love to see what Amazon can do with the new Carta 1200
Old 10-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #265
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
What is the actual number of pixels does it have horizontal and vertical? If you don't know please measure the screen in inches and we can calculate at 300 ppi. The diagonal is 6.8" but the ratio is not stated.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #266
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would expect a Carta 1200 screen in a new Oasis.
indeed they could. i believe the new Kobo Sage and the Libra 2 both have the E INK Carta 1200 screen, but i've yet to see anyone who as bought those devices say either of them have a better contrast/screen than the Voyage or the Oasis 3.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #267
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
indeed they could. i believe the new Kobo Sage and the Libra 2 both have the E INK Carta 1200 screen, but i've yet to see anyone who as bought those devices say either of them have a better contrast/screen than the Voyage or the Oasis 3.

best wishes koboy
For what it's worth, by using the mark 1 eyeball, the Kobo Sage has a noticeably better screen (contrast and sharpness) than an Oasis 3. This is comparing one of each so given the variation in eInk's screens, I'm not going to generalize to saying that all Sages have better screens.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #268
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it's worth, by using the mark 1 eyeball, the Kobo Sage has a noticeably better screen (contrast and sharpness) than an Oasis 3. This is comparing one of each so given the variation in eInk's screens, I'm not going to generalize to saying that all Sages have better screens.
ok. i agree generalising on these things isn't wise. i'll stick with my overarching point. going forward (must have new features) for any e-reader manufacturer will be thin on the ground.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #269
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
ok. i agree generalising on these things isn't wise. i'll stick with my overarching point. going forward (must have new features) for any e-reader manufacturer will be thin on the ground.

best wishes koboy
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It means people don't have to constantly upgrade their ereaders. A smartphone can get outdated in less than 5 years, an ereader usually takes a while longer.

Of course many people (myself included) buy new ereaders from pure gadget lust, not because their existing device needs upgrading.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #270
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It means people don't have to constantly upgrade their ereaders. A smartphone can get outdated in less than 5 years, an ereader usually takes a while longer.

Of course many people (myself included) buy new ereaders from pure gadget lust, not because their existing device needs upgrading.
ultimately it's each to their own.

best wishes koboy