Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #226
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
It's wild how often some of y'all reference and discuss the contrast of the Voyage. It's gotta be a kind of mobileread folklore talking point. The mobileread Voyage cult. I would bet money the difference isn't as big as it's portrayed to be.

I'm super excited for reviews of the new Paperwhite this coming week. My upgrade plan is riding on it being as good as I hope. Much as I want an 8 inch device, I can't rationalize paying double for it and I'm skeptical we'll see the Forma heavily discounted.

I keep hoping I might find a Glowlight Plus in the future, though.

Well, I suppose we'all is remembering the same screen from actually having owned the device - or still own one. That's a big 10-4, good buddy.

Seriously, Mobileread has absolutely nothing to do with perpetuating a "Mobileread folklore talking point" about the quality of Voyage's screen. I would say many previous and present owners (that would be me), find it to have been - thus far - the best screen ever.

I look forward to the day when another device, from any company, can manufacture a better screen. I'll buy that device.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #227
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
We have four kindles, two Voyages, an Oasis 2 and a PW4. Nothing beats the screen of the Voyage. In fact I’d rather lose my 3G Oasis 2 than give up a single Voyage.

I won’t buy another kindle unless they produce a screen as good as the Voyage. I’d rather use a Kobo to read my Amazon books, the software is better, more user friendly and simpler to use, plus I like the 8 inch screen.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-24-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #228
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
We have four kindles, two Voyages, an Oasis 2 and a PW4. Nothing beats the screen of the Voyage. In fact I’d rather lose my 3G Oasis 2 than give up a single Voyage.

I won’t buy another kindle unless they produce a screen as good as the Voyage. I’d rather use a Kobo to read my Amazon books, the software is better, more user friendly and simpler to use, plus I like the 8 inch screen.
I feel you for the Oasis 2. I got 3 of them via Amazon and decided to send them back to Amazon and skip this generation.
For some reason, the Oasis 3 has a way better screen, probably due to the better front light system.
I'm curious to check the Parperwhite on Wednesday, but I might end up returning it if it's not great and make the Sage my main reader. For the software, what Amazon offers suits me and I find it way more polished than the Kobo one.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #229
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I feel you for the Oasis 2. I got 3 of them via Amazon and decided to send them back to Amazon and skip this generation.
For some reason, the Oasis 3 has a way better screen, probably due to the better front light system.
I'm curious to check the Parperwhite on Wednesday, but I might end up returning it if it's not great and make the Sage my main reader. For the software, what Amazon offers suits me and I find it way more polished than the Kobo one.
I heard that the Oasis 3 was better too, but after spending £260 on the Oasis 2 I just won’t spend that again on a Kindle. Ironically I’ve spent far more than that on multiple Kobo’s this year, and my Forma came from Amazon, they were the seller.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #230
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
You would lose money. I'm not assessing things from remembering the device. I still own it ( and it's probably the same for most people praising it)
The Libra 2's screen is getting really close to it, but still a slightly tiny bit under in term of contrast / deep blacks.

It all comes to the details and the differences, no matter how small they are, especially here.

And don't get me wrong, I look forward for the day a new reader from Amazon or Kobo gets better. That would mean having the best screen in an up to date reader.
I wish there was a way to actually measure the contrast levels. I'm curious what magic sauce the Voyage screen uses to improve the contrast over the new 1200 panel with 15% better contrast.

Any impartial outside observer would be wise to trust the technical specs from manufacturers over anecdotal self-reporting, especially given what we know about the bias effect of actually owning the device, as Jon often reminds us with his passion for everything H2O.

I'm not even saying you're wrong that the difference between the Voyage and the more highly spec'd new screens is a dramatic as you represent it to be...just that it comes across as having some "woo-woo" to it when it's brought up as often as it is.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #231
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Any impartial outside observer would be wise to trust the technical specs from manufacturers over anecdotal self-reporting, especially given what we know about the bias effect of actually owning the device, as Jon often reminds us with his passion for everything H2O.
Well, I felt no particular passion for my Voyage. In fact, except for the contrast level, I didn't particularly like anything about it. I would've been exceedingly happy if the contrast on my other ereaders (especially the Oasis 3) had been at least as good as on the Voyage. Unfortunately it wasn't, and that was pretty obvious when comparing them side by side. Still, I sold my Voyage eventually.

So no, it's not the bias effect a la "the Voyage simply must be THE BEST!" At least it wasn't in my case.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #232
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I heard that the Oasis 3 was better too, but after spending £260 on the Oasis 2 I just won’t spend that again on a Kindle. Ironically I’ve spent far more than that on multiple Kobo’s this year, and my Forma came from Amazon, they were the seller.
I have the chance to buy a used Oasis 3 right now for around the same price as the new Paperwhite and find it's an interesting decision to try to weigh.

I haven't seen many complaints from people here, but when I go to the kindle reddit, there are a lot of people who are disappointed with the battery life they get from the Oasis 3. As someone who sold their Oasis 1 for exactly that reason, I've learned I'm more sensitive to the battery issue than most.

The screen tech seems to have hit the point of diminishing returns and having to upgrade the device in a couple years because the battery is slowly dying is not great value from such an expensive device. The Voyage with it's user replaceable battery is the perfect example of my point.

I think I'm going to go with the new Paperwhite. I have a feeling it's going to be a hit. Wish we could get confirmation on what screen it uses.

Unless Kindle has performed some miracle with new power management, just extrapolating from their claim of increased battery life, I'm assuming they're using a 2500mah battery.

Last edited by mezzanine; 10-25-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #233
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I have the chance to buy a used Oasis 3 right now for around the same price as the new Paperwhite and find it's an interesting decision to try to weigh.

I haven't seen many complaints from people here, but when I go to the kindle reddit, there are a lot of people who are disappointed with the battery life they get from the Oasis 3. As someone who sold their Oasis 1 for exactly that reason, I've learned I'm more sensitive to the battery issue than most.

The screen tech seems to have hit the point of diminishing returns and having to upgrade the device in a couple years because the battery is slowly dying is not great value from such an expensive device. The Voyage with it's user replaceable battery is the perfect example of my point.

I think I'm going to go with the new Paperwhite. I have a feeling it's going to be a hit. Wish we could get confirmation on what screen it uses.

Unless Kindle has performed some miracle with new power management, just extrapolating from their claim of increased battery life, I'm assuming they're using a 2000mah battery.
The Oasis 3 has a 1,130 mAh battery according to the Wiki. The Voyage had a 1,320 mAh. The PW4 has a 1,500 mAh.

So yep, I think you'd be disappointed with the Oasis 3 battery. I'm not, but then I don't particularly prize a long battery life above other things.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #234
mezzanine
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis 3 has a 1,130 mAh battery according to the Wiki. The Voyage had a 1,320 mAh. The PW4 has a 1,500 mAh.

So yep, I think you'd be disappointed with the Oasis 3 battery. I'm not, but then I don't particularly prize a long battery life above other things.
I'm still uncertain whether the more powerful CPU of the Oasis is a factor in it's power draw and ultimately battery performance. Curious about it for the Sage, too.

The Aura One is an outside contender, but I'm not willing to pay what the market price seems to be for it despite being a five year old device. I'm actually amazed at what people seem to be willing to pay for used e-readers, generally.

Last edited by mezzanine; 10-25-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #235
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Unless Kindle has performed some miracle with new power management, just extrapolating from their claim of increased battery life, I'm assuming they're using a 2500mah battery.
My Oasis 2 has the worst battery of any e-reader I own. Another reason why I wouldn’t buy another one. I don’t like the screen of my PW4 so I would be interested in how the new PW screen is, but not enough to buy one.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #236
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wish there was a way to actually measure the contrast levels. I'm curious what magic sauce the Voyage screen uses to improve the contrast over the new 1200 panel with 15% better contrast.

I'm not even saying you're wrong that the difference between the Voyage and the more highly spec'd new screens is a dramatic as you represent it to be...just that it comes across as having some "woo-woo" to it when it's brought up as often as it is.
Why would it be so "woo-woo" to have a consensus by so many people?
Don't forget that you're the one betting money or stating things on a device you haven't owned. You're closer to the "woo-woo" than me

I think is safe to assume that the many people who were able to compare the Voyage to many other devices and still think it has better contrast / sharper, might be closer to the truth than your own guess ?
Old 10-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #237
mezzanine
Groupie

Quote:
Why would it be so "woo-woo" to have a consensus by so many people?
Don't forget that you're the one betting money or stating things on a device you haven't owned. You're closer to the "woo-woo" than me

I think is safe to assume that the many people who were able to compare the Voyage to many other devices and still think it has better contrast / sharper, might be closer to the truth than your own guess ?
How many of them are claiming it's better than the new Carta 1200 screen with 15% better contrast? There aren't a lot of devices using it out yet, but I'd be interested to see comments with users who own both.

Anecdotal opinion based on human perception might not be as reliable as physical measurement as a form of evidence. I gather the etched glass is the magic sauce that increases the contrast and would be curious to learn more about how that's accomplished....
Old 10-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #238
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
How many of them are claiming it's better than the new Carta 1200 screen with 15% better contrast? There aren't a lot of devices using it out yet, but I'd be interested to see comments with users who own both.

Anecdotal opinion based on human perception might not be as reliable as physical measurement as a form of evidence. I gather the etched glass is the magic sauce that increases the contrast and would be curious to learn more about how that's accomplished....
You can find your 15% better contrast in this blog article https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...eting-gimmick/

or not.

Edit : And don't get me wrong, I think the Libra 2 screen is an improvement over the Libra H2O. I can't compare the Sage because I didn't own a Forma. But you're more willing to trust marketing non-sense and would call us "woo-woo" and ask us to scientifically prove what we see because it does not validate the marketing BS...

Don't reverse the charge.

Last edited by Almamida; 10-25-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #239
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I felt no particular passion for my Voyage. In fact, except for the contrast level, I didn't particularly like anything about it. I would've been exceedingly happy if the contrast on my other ereaders (especially the Oasis 3) had been at least as good as on the Voyage. Unfortunately it wasn't, and that was pretty obvious when comparing them side by side. Still, I sold my Voyage eventually.

So no, it's not the bias effect a la "the Voyage simply must be THE BEST!" At least it wasn't in my case.

What I meant was that the Voyage screen is simply - the best.

Yes, my bias.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:19 AM   #240
mezzanine
Groupie

Quote:
You can find your 15% better contrast in this blog article https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...eting-gimmick/

or not.

Edit : And don't get me wrong, I think the Libra 2 screen is an improvement over the Libra H2O. I can't compare the Sage because I didn't own a Forma. But you're more willing to trust marketing non-sense and would call us "woo-woo" and ask us to scientifically prove what we see because it does not validate the marketing BS...

Don't reverse the charge.
Denies the manufacturer's claim without evidence. Denies the value of the scientific method. Avoids responding to arguments with reason. Condescends with eye-roll.

You fit right in on social media!