Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
O'Reilly Publishing is closing its online store

Quote:
Things are changing at the O'Reilly online shop—as of today, we are no longer selling individual books and videos via shop.oreilly.com. Of course, we'll continue to publish books and videos on the topics you need to know, like data science, product management, and leadership—and you'll still be able to buy them at Amazon and other retailers.
http://shop.oreilly.com/

What's going on? I will stop using O'Reilly's affiliate stores for new books and e-books and boycott them.

If somebody want to tell O'Reilly what to think of this decision they can let them know at support@oreilly.com

Last edited by joblack; 06-30-2017 at 08:07 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I am confused. If they are going to stop selling books, you can't buy from them anyway. So how is your boycott going to work?

When I first saw your post, I thought of O'Reilly auto parts.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
So how is your boycott going to work?
They sell books and e-books through other retailers (e.g. Amazon). The problem is that at least the e-book format is not multi format and often includes DRM (e.g. Amazon Kindle format).

One attractive treat from shop.oreilly.com was that you could buy the e-book, get all three formats (epub, mobi and pdf) and had no DRM.

Now they are forcing you to use a subscription model like Safari where you have to be online or force you to use DRM enabled e-book stores like Amazon.

So if the customers just stop buying O'Reilly books/e-books altogether I would define that as a 'boycotting'.

Last edited by joblack; 06-28-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I misread the thread title as "closing up shop", meaning going out of business entirely. I'm glad that they will still be around even if they will no longer be selling directly.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
They sell books and e-books through other retailers (e.g. Amazon). The problem is that at least the e-book format is not multi format and often includes DRM (e.g. Amazon Kindle format).

One attractive treat from shop.oreilly.com was that you could buy the e-book, get all three formats (epub, mobi and pdf) and had no DRM.

Now they are forcing you to use a subscription model like Safari where you have to be online or force you to use DRM enabled e-book stores like Amazon.

So if the customers just stop buying O'Reilly books/e-books altogether I would define that as a 'boycotting'.
I see you edited your first post to make the boycott clear. Thank you. Now it makes sense.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So I wonder if this is a case of them running their own shop hasn't been cost effective, as has proven to be the case for some other publishers, or if it's more of a case of them wanting to push more people towards Safari. Or maybe there's some other reason.

Looks like Amazon (where AFAIK their titles are DRM-free, or were anyway), iBooks and Google Play, but not Kobo, are the choices for buying now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
tastyeng
tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks like Amazon (where AFAIK their titles are DRM-free, or were anyway)
I don't know about currently, but in the past I've occasionally come across DRMed O'Reilly titles on Amazon, and on reporting them to O'Reilly they had the status fixed within a couple of days. Packt was similarly helpful when I reached out to them regarding the same issue with a few of their titles. Kindle format wouldn't be my first choice for those kinds of books, but I'm glad to see those who want it able to buy DRM-free on Amazon.
tastyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I fail to see any practical difference between buying a book DRM-free from Amazon and DRM-free direct from O'Reilly.

Would you like me to fix the error in the thread title, BTW?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 AM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I fail to see any practical difference between buying a book DRM-free from Amazon and DRM-free direct from O'Reilly.

The O'Reilly shop let you download multiple formats of the same book (PDF, EPUB,...), multiple times (including new copies with corrections). I don't know if Amazon allows the same, but my experience buying novels from Google Play is that they aren't as generous.

At least O'Reilly is still allowing access to those ebooks bought previously from them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:24 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The O'Reilly shop let you download multiple formats of the same book (PDF, EPUB,...), multiple times (including new copies with corrections). I don't know if Amazon allows the same, but my experience buying novels from Google Play is that they aren't as generous.

At least O'Reilly is still allowing access to those ebooks bought previously from them.
Well, Amazon obviously only sell their format, but format-shifting of DRM-free books is trivial, and if the book is revised, Amazon will give you the corrected version. I just don't see this is a big deal - O'Reilly have obviously decided that the volume of sale direct from them doesn't justify the expense of running their own bookstore, and if the revenue doesn't meet the costs, that's a sensible commercial decision.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #11
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Amazon will only give you a mobi format. O'Reilly had all three formats. If you convert the mobi format you still not get a well adjusted epub or pdf format.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if there would be another online shop which would support DRM free multiformat O'Reilly e-books but we will see what will happen.

Sure, please modify the thread title.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Amazon will only give you a mobi format. O'Reilly had all three formats. If you convert the mobi format you still not get a well adjusted epub or pdf format.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if there would be another online shop which would support DRM free multiformat O'Reilly e-books but we will see what will happen.

Sure, please modify the thread title.
So buy it from Google, then? I understand that you are upset that you can't get the book in all formats anymore, but it sounds like you don't want .mobi format anyway, and from what I can see, google offers downloads in both epub and pdf for most books.

If O'Reilly found that they were losing money by hosting the store, are you really going to *boycott* them because of it? Or do you think that they are closing the store just because they're tired of it, and want to annoy people like you who don't like Amazon? (You do realize that they've always sold on Amazon, right?)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

An advantage of Amazon over Google books may perhaps be the issue of updates, if these are, as suggested, books that get updated. Amazon make it easy to get updated versions of purchased books. I don't know how good Google Books are in that regard?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
The biggest disappointment for me is the loss of the member discounts. They had several standard discounts for those with an oreilly.com account (buy 1 get 1, discount for upgrading to the next edition of books you own, discounts if you buy both the print and ebook). I bought a lot of ebooks direct from them because of those discounts. Having access to multiple formats was nice as well, but as was mentioned already, conversion to other formats is easy.
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So buy it from Google, then? I understand that you are upset that you can't get the book in all formats anymore, but it sounds like you don't want .mobi format anyway, and from what I can see, google offers downloads in both epub and pdf for most books.
Shari
If you look at the PDF format of an O'Reilly book you could almost feel the dedication which went in the PDF e-book format. I wouldn't be surprised if the PDF e-book was the master for the paperback book.

Is the Google Play version also in three formats and without DRM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym
If O'Reilly found that they were losing money by hosting the store, are you really going to *boycott* them because of it? Or do you think that they are closing the store just because they're tired of it, and want to annoy people like you who don't like Amazon? (You do realize that they've always sold on Amazon, right?)
Do you know for sure that this is the reason they closed the store? I suspect the reason is to push people to the subscription model. There is more profit in it. I have seen it before (e.g. Adobe Photoshop Cloud) but you are right we have not enough information to know the truth.

I have primarily bought e-books especially at oreilly.com because they had the DRM free multi format.

If you just want paperback books and/or DRM-invested e-books other stores will be fine for you.