Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #391
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
Does the new H202 suffer from he same problem as all other Kobo readers where highlighting text is slow and unresponsive compared to Kindle? This is the main reason why I returned three previous Kobo readers and went back to Kindle. Like everything about Kobo but if I can't highlight notes, I don't need it.
Since it's using the same firmware, yes, it will likely have the same limitations. However, this is entirely fixable by using Calibre and the KoboTouchExtended plugin to sideload books in Kobo's optimized Kepub format. The original H20 is a *great* device for highlighting: fast, responsive and accurate.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-13-2017 at 11:12 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #392
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Since it's using the same firmware, yes, it will likely have the same limitations. However, this is entirely fixable by using Calibre and the KoboTouchExtended plugin to sideload books in Kobo's optimized Kepub format. The original H20 is a *great* device for highlighting: fast, responsive and accurate.
Do you manage to make a highlight of more than 3-4 sentences? I have only HD and Aura One, One is patched, and I read kepubs on both. But I am not able to make long highlights like I do on my Kindles (one or one and half pages), and my touch doesn't get recognised easily, plus it's not fast at all. Is that better on H20 than on HD and One?
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #393
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Do you manage to make a highlight of more than 3-4 sentences? I have only HD and Aura One, One is patched, and I read kepubs on both. But I am not able to make long highlights like I do on my Kindles (one or one and half pages), and my touch doesn't get recognised easily, plus it's not fast at all. Is that better on H20 than on HD and One?
I've never had a real problem with highlighting several lines/sentences on one screen. Getting the exact start and stop point can be hard.

For kepubs, it is easier. And if you drag to the top-left or bottom-right corner, it will turn the page and continue highlighting. I haven't needed to do this very often, but it was worked when I have done it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #394
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've never had a real problem with highlighting several lines/sentences on one screen. Getting the exact start and stop point can be hard.

For kepubs, it is easier. And if you drag to the top-left or bottom-right corner, it will turn the page and continue highlighting. I haven't needed to do this very often, but it was worked when I have done it.
Thanks David, I'll try to practice the way I touch a bit more, I think I am doing something wrong all this time.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #395
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It is noticeably harder to get the exact position you want on the One than the H20. That's why I mentioned the H2O specifically. Of all the Kobo models I've used, the Touch screen on that one is remarkably great. I hope they don't ruin that on the new one.

A tip for selecting text on the One. If the selection ends close to the end of the page, try highlighting the single *last* word, then use the handle to select more text backwards.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #396
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Getting the hang of highlighting with different devices can be tricky. I was so used to KEPUBs that I had trouble adjusting to the Kindle when I got it, I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted. With KEPUBs, the best way to highlight a sentence or more is to first select one word, then use the handles to do the rest of it; also the way the software is set, it will not highlight punctuation before or after a word automatically, so you'll need to use the handles to include it. When I got the PW3 I thought it would work if I did the same, but the handles don't work very well; it's much better to select everything in one go and hope you don't make a mistake, or you'll have to start again. Also, highlighting always includes punctuation automatically. This can be a bad or a good thing: it's fine if you're highlighting sentences, but can be extremely annoying if you're interested in a single word as it's hard to fine tune it after with the handles.
This is my experience, at least. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages, IMO, but it's possible to get used to it. I can't vouch for the Aura One as I've never used one but both my H2O and Glo HD's touchscreens work very well.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #397
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Does the new H202 suffer <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
<snip>The original H20 is a *great* device for highlighting: fast, responsive and accurate.
It's not "h-twenty", it's "h two o".

About highlighting: the only device I've had problems with highlighting is with the One, as that one uses a capacitive screen, instead of IR.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #398
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The device is now open for pre-orders. Is anyone getting it?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #399
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The device is now open for pre-orders. Is anyone getting it?
Nope. Not a compelling upgrade to my KA1 and I always have the original H2O to fall back on if something happens to my KA1
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #400
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
When is it supposed to ship?
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #401
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When is it supposed to ship?
Next Monday, the 22nd.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #402
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
I have ordered one as my original aura is due for retirement.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #403
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Saw the video, not worth the upgrade. Although the price drop on the orig aura h20 does make the orig worth getting
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #404
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have updated the wiki for Kobo Aura H2O from data on the web site for Edtion 2. Looks like much better water proofing (at the expense of no expansion card), blue light reduction, and twice the internal memory. It is also slightly smaller so old cases won't work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #405
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Saw the video, not worth the upgrade. Although the price drop on the orig aura h20 does make the orig worth getting
The price drop is over, unless you count the addition of the free case. That shows on Kobo.com. When I looked at Chapters this morning, I didn't see the original on the list of Kobos.

I just got an official case, from ebay, it's pretty nice! Definitely worthwhile for $15.