Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
Kyrylys
Kyrylys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
HELP! Update ruined my hacks : (

Hi!

I need help, i have a(n old) K3 - Kindle Keyboard. Yesterday was fine but it started to miss with some covers.

Until then i have so 3.4.2 and jailbreak, python, screensaver mod and physkey to have accents and ñ character.

As i said it went well until yesterday, so today i decided to unistal and reinstal everything just in case. But... my so updated to 3.4.3 and i can´t go back even if i choose "restar to the factory".

after that i still tried ´cause who knows...
kindle-jailbreak-0.13.N went OK
kindle-python-0.14.N-k3w went OK
kindle-ss-0.47.N wen OK it´s shows the hacked screensaver but when i delete it and make "cover" in linkss folder and go to a book... the screensaver is just a withe page. ( withe page better to original sc, tho) But i would like to see the cover of the "currently reading book"

physkeyb_3.4.6-cs-sk or physkeyb_3.4.2-cs-sk or update_physkeyb_0.08 (yeah i searched this forum deep) all of them when i went to "update your kindle" this function appears in gray, (not able to do it).

what can i do?!?! i even search and download old so updates but i can´t go back to 3.4.2 in any easy way and it scares me to do a downgrade because making that could brick my kindle forever and i still can read on it perfectly.

So... there´s maybe an update of those hacks for v 3.4.3? maybe i´m missing something like put something more than the cover black doccument?

Can you help me? I know it´s an "old" device but you know, it´s still a challege for the devs community.

Thank you in advance.
PS: I´m just a common user, so i managed the steps to make jailbreak. If your explanation is more technical than than, please explain me in the easy way cause i´m not a pro and also eng is not my mother laguage. Thanks again!
Kyrylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Updates don't affect my own hacks on legacy devices (meaning reinstalling the jb, python & and screensavers hack was unnecessary).

I can't say the same for others, and I'm extremely unfamiliar with the other stuff you mentioned, so you might want to link to where you got them from...

Also going to need more details on what *exactly* you did, because uninstall/install is pretty vague.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-16-2020 at 01:16 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Kyrylys

Thank you for asking.
Oh! by the way my device is kindle 3 wifi (B008)
i got the archives in this forum =>

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...88&postcount=1
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119969

i though a "clean" restart would put my k3 in 3.4.2 version but don´t, so besides the update was a factory reset throught the kindle menu and the reinstall of those .bin archives that i said in my 1st post.

jailbreak and python were succesfully instaled. ss also but don´t work properly. I made a "cover" file and restar but the ss is white page not the book´s cover.

And physkey.. i copy the .bin archive but the "update your kindle" function is unavailable for any version.

all i do when install is place the .bin archive in root folder and do "update my kindle".
Old 04-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Taking a quick look at that thread, the install issues are perfectly normal (c.f., the last page).

As for the screensavers hack, there's a slim, but entirely plausible chance that the legacy packages are subtly broken.

I'd recommend moving to KUAL+MRPI and use the snapshots instead.
And then use the matching KUAL extension to setup the SS hack.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Kyrylys

Thank you so so so so SO much!!!

now i have my kindle´s hacks again ^^

for physkey i install update_physkeyb_3.4.6-cs-sk_k3w_repack and have all my ñ ans vocals with accent back ^^

and for the screen savers... i tried kindle-ss-0.47.N-r17028.tar.xz and gives me an error at updating BUT i see a folder named src and i copied all the folders and files in kindle´s root so it worked! now i have the cover´s back. but i have to "go to... cover" first to chage it at actual book, something that doesn´t happend before, it changes automathically. but it worked, that´s the point.

So thank you again!!! ^^
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's because snapshot packages can only be installed via MRPI, not UYK.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Kyrylys

XD i'n not that pro so i don't know what they mean.
But it works again thanks to you! Thankx

Tags
jailbreak 3.4.2, kindle keyboard, screensaver hack, update kindle keyboard