Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
negev
negev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does leaving ssh running noticeably shorten battery life?

Greetings,

I've bought my first kindle today (a wifi Paperwhite) and have jailbroken it and installed the usbnet package so I can ssh into it. I'm not bothered about having the usbnet interface so I configured it to just run openssh over wifi only.

Will leaving this running affect the battery life in any noticeable way? I quite like being able to ssh into it over wifi whenever I want.

Also if anyone wants to share some cool hacks with me (or link me to a thread that lists them) it would be gratefully received.

Much love
neg
negev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Not sure if it does. I always leave my PW in airplane mode as to not even waste battery on the radio. For hacks and such you should visit the subforum Kindle Developer's Corner - that is also a better place to ask about any non-standard modifications to your Kindle.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by negev View Post
Will leaving this running affect the battery life in any noticeable way? I quite like being able to ssh into it over wifi whenever I want.
Yes and No.

You did read the user's manual, correct?
The battery life between charges is quoted **with wifi off**.

No quote as to battery life between charges is quoted **with wifi on**.
And note also, it tells you that the battery life between charges will be shortened in cases of a weak wifi signal.

- next -

Letting sshd run should not further decrease the battery life between charges than just having the wifi on.
sshd will block until it is needed.

- but on the other hand -

If by "battery life" you mean "battery useful life span" -
Then that is even harder to answer.

With Li-Ion it depends on how low you discharge it, how high you re-charge it, how often those cycles are made, and the price of tea in China.

Under the (only) conditions that Amazon quotes - the battery **might** last 2 years before it requires replacement.

Depending on the conditions listed above about your discharge - re-charge cycles - - very likely less than 2 years.

Translation: Buy the 2-year service contract now!
It includes one battery replacement during the 2-year period.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
On average:

couple of days - maybe a week - if you time to time unsuspend and hammer the wifi.

About a day if you hammer it, no suspending. fiddling about.

About 6 hours if you totally hammer the device.

So what knc said. Yes and No. If you let it.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote