Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
javierdl
javierdl began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
Question I need a recommendation for a smartphone

Ok, since I have a few things in my wish-list, I'll break this thread in parts.
Now, keep in mind the only PDA platform I have ever used (for other than a pc) is Palm OS (v4), and although I do like it, I am open to "better" platforms (assuming there are).
- In order of importance -
1. Let's start with Time Management & Contacts software. By Time Management I mean tools like the Palm Calendar.
2. It is also of the utmost importance to me to be able to synchronize the info in the device with my pc.
3. Email & Web browsing (comfy typing would be nice for this). I work for a major cellphone provider so I don't have a restriction on data consumption, fortunately.
4. Video. It would be nice to be able to watch some kind of video, but not just internet-streamed video, but namely video files like MOVs, AVIs, and WMVs.
5. It would be nice to be able to use the smartphone as a modem for a laptop.
6. Music capabilities would be nice too, like able to create/manage playlists, and a good sound quality.
As for the budget, I'm trying not to exceed $400. But I might consider around $500.
Considering all these things which smartphone/s would you recommend?
This should help narrowing down the choices...I must get it from my carrier

Thanks in advance,

JDL
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I like my Treo quite a bit. AFAIK it'll do everything you mentioned. I've got the wx, which is the Windows version, but you can also get the p version which uses Palm OS.

I've got a friend who has the HTC 6800 & doesn't like the way he has to go about dialing a number on the screen or by sliding out the keyboard (says it's to complex), but other than that I know nothing about it.

If you work for them don't they have demo's you can try for a few days (or even an hour or two)? Might help.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
I have a Nokia E65, which does everything you want (with some extra software in some cases) except the comfy typing. If you want a full keyboard I believe the E61 or E61i are essentially the same phone as the E65 but with a full thumb keyboard. Alternatively, I understand that you can use a bluetooth keyboard with the E65, but I have not tried this.

Taking your points in order...

1. Calendar built in. Displays todays events on the Active Standby screen (you have to turn Active Stanby mode on), and if there are no events today, it displays the next event. Only problem is that it removes events when the start time has passed by a few minutes, not when the end time has passed.

2. I sync to Outlook and it works brilliantly. I have a Bluetooth enabled laptop, and using the supplied PC Suite software I have it configured to sync calendar, contacts and notes everytime it makes a connection, ie every time I return to my desk. You can also sync by IR or USB cable.

3a. Email - built in email client works OK. It supports some push email systems, and can automatically check a POP or IMAP account peridoically. I have it set to use the WiFi for email because I don't have a data plan. It doesn't display HTML email (hurrah!), and I soemtimes have problems getting ti to delete emails from the server, But I would rather they stayed accidently, than got deleted accidently. I also use the mobile gMail app which is really nice.

3b. Built in browser is good and works well. I also run Opera Mini which is better for some sites, and Opera Mobile is also available (but costs money now). All software that connects to the internet can connect by GSM, 3G or WiFi, and control of what connection is used is pretty easy too.

4. Video. Supports mp4, 3gp and some flash (stardudes works, youtube doesn't) natively. I also use SmartMovie for preparing and watching AVIs and DVDs for my phone. You can also get the Nokia Multimedia Convertor tool for free if you register on the Nokia development site. Smartmovie looks better when played back though.

5. Works by IR, Bluetooth or cable. 3G connection (if you can use it) so up to 384kbps.

6. Music. MP3 player built in, but I use OggPlay because it also plays Ogg (duh!) and supports playlists and some other stuff. I have made up a cable to connect standard headphones to it because it uses a pop-port connector, shout if you want details. The sound quality isn't perfect, but it is plenty good enough if you are in a non-silent environment liek a bus, car, train or plane.

Price - Mobileplanet.com have it from $419 (unlocked in mocha or pink, red is $439 for some reason) which is just in your budget, SmartMovie costs $25 or so, but all the other software I use is free. The E61 is $435 unlocked.

Also, back on the mobile reading theme, Mobipocket software works well on this phone, and the screen is surprisingly easy on the eyes when reading. Not e-ink by any stretch, but better than a laptop.

It also does VoIP by SIP, and you can also install fring which allows you to access Skype, MSN and other IM/VoIP services from your phone.

Hope some of that helps. Ask if you have any other Qs.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm very happy with my Windows Mobile 6 "HTC Touch" Smartphone. Meets all your requirements admirably.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
javierdl

Thanks for your replies guys

Mocelet:
I really appreciate the long and very complete reply. Unfortunately, as I said at the bottom of my post: ...I must get it from my carrier
And as unbelievable as it may seem, my carrier doesn't have any Nokia phones
But thanks anyway

HarryT:
Is the HTC Touch either the 5800 or the 6800? My carrier only has these 2 models.

JDL
Old 11-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierdl View Post
Thanks for your replies guys

HarryT:
Is the HTC Touch either the 5800 or the 6800? My carrier only has these 2 models.

JDL
Not the right model. I also use a HTC Touch.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
mocelet
Connoisseur

Quote:
...I must get it from my carrier
And as unbelievable as it may seem, my carrier doesn't have any Nokia phones
No problem - but this seems a little odd. Is the money that you would be spending yours or your employers? If it is yours then you should be able to buy the phone unlocked (from Mobileplanet or elsewhere) and put your SIM card in it.

Anyway, how can any cell phone carrier in the world not carry Nokia phones? They are the number one manufacturer (by quantity and turnover) of cell phones in the world, and their smartphones are excellent. Most of what I described can be done on any recent Symbian S60v3 phone, but from a browse of the Bell site it appears that they don't carry any phone that uses that OS.

Is it worth contacting them to check that what is on the website is a complete list?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
javierdl

Thanks for confirming Hadrien

mocelet:
A considerable chunk is discounted off of the original price of the phone by my carrier. Reason why I need to get the phone from them

I know, I couldn't believe it myself when I found out about my carrier being Nokialess. I have to wait until tomorrow Monday to ask.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For now I have my eyes on the Palm Treo 700wx and the BB Pearl 8130. They seem to offer very good value (features vs price ratio). I presently use a Palm PDA (Tungsten T3), so I would find it very convenient that I could just plug the new 700wx to my pc to sync and that's it! Whereas the other one, the BB Pearl 8130, it uses a different platform altogether, so unless there's some kind of utility to import all my data from the Palm Desktop program, I'd have to do it manually I guess, and this would have to be painfull I would imagine
On the other hand, feature by feature it seems the latter one is a superior smartphone. Although the Operating System might be an exception, I really don't know this for a fact.
What do you guys think?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm back... added more @ 10:50am:
After reading about both OSs, WM & BB, it seems to me I should go for WM. Many seem to agree that the BB OS is not as good for multitasking. And after having a look at some screenshots of it, I must say I'm disappointed I admit that these screenshots were not taken from the BB Pearl 8130, but from the 8700v

JDL

Last edited by javierdl; 11-11-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Did find more info elsewhere on this topic
Old 11-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
mocelet
Connoisseur

Quote:
A considerable chunk is discounted off of the original price of the phone by my carrier. Reason why I need to get the phone from them
I know, I only paid £50 ($100) for my E65 with an upgrade on a contract. No way would I pay full whack, it is good, but I have other things to spend my money on!

Still confused by the whole no Nokia thing. Please let us know their answer when you ask.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After reading about both OSs, WM & BB, it seems to me I should go for WM. Many seem to agree that the BB OS is not as good for multitasking.
Windows Mobile 6 is very good indeed - a great improvement over the previous versions. It provides excellent integration between all the different "PDA" applications and the phone itself, and has very good "Sync" capabilities with Outlook too. There are lots of free and low-cost WM apps you can install.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Windows Mobile 6 is very good indeed - a great improvement over the previous versions. It provides excellent integration between all the different "PDA" applications and the phone itself, and has very good "Sync" capabilities with Outlook too. There are lots of free and low-cost WM apps you can install.
However, unlike previous versions of Windows Mobile it will not run MS Reader.

Dale
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
javierdl

Ok, after some more reading around, it seems my new smartphone has to run WinMob6. Reason why the BB Pearl 8130 I had my eyes on, is no longer.
I have also scratched out the Palm Treo 700wx, as I find it to be lacking when comparing feature by feature vs similar phones.
So far I have norrowed it down to the following:

1. The HTC 5800
2. And the Motorola Q

I think I like the HTC 5800 best so far.
Xmas is approaching fast, and I won't be able to get my new phone until the 3rd week of Dec, but the good thing about this is that it could be that another smartphone will be added to the repertoire of Bell.ca

mocelet, about the Nokia phones... I was only able to confirm that Bell.ca indeed does not sell Nokia. I haven't been able to find why. But if I do I'll get back to you.

JDL
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I owned the motorola q and to watch video on it would be almost impossible, imo.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
However, unlike previous versions of Windows Mobile it will not run MS Reader.

Dale
I've found a few different sources which say that the latest version of Reader, 2.4.1, runs on WM6, Dale, although on some devices there do seem to be issues with activation.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You are responding to an 18 month old thread. Not much point in doing that .