Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
bartbrat
bartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo strange behavior when turning on

When I turn on my Kobo Aura One, this always happens:

https://youtu.be/yFP5t_TmS_w

Is this something you guys also have sometimes? And do you think it's a software or hardware problem? Should I return it; is it the indication of a failing display?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
bartbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How hot is your KA1? In hot enough temperature, the eInk display slows down.So if it's hot enough, what you could be seeing is a slow down.

If it's not hot enough, then it's in need of replacement. That's not normal in normal conditions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Never experienced anything like that on my KA1 although I'm not running the very latest firmware.

I would try a factory reset and see if that resolves the situation. If not, then I'd seriously consider returning it. Even when it's been very hot out, my KA1 never acted like that.

Out of curiosity, what firmware is your device running? What kind of books do you have loaded on to it? How have you loaded them? Has your Kobo functioned likt this from the get go?
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbrat View Post
When I turn on my Kobo Aura One, this always happens:

https://youtu.be/yFP5t_TmS_w

Is this something you guys also have sometimes? And do you think it's a software or hardware problem? Should I return it; is it the indication of a failing display?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I've seen that a couple of times when a book had a large graphic. I think the display in blocks happened while the image was being resized to fit the display.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.

Mine did that after it got wet.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Mine did that after it got wet.
Even though the KA1 is supposed to be waterproof?

Did it continue to do that after it dried out? Or did you return it for replacement?
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:24 AM   #7
Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.

Nope, needed replacement. I suspect that if the eReader is hot (used in the sun) and then exposed to water, the waterproof coating inside fails.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Nope, needed replacement. I suspect that if the eReader is hot (used in the sun) and then exposed to water, the waterproof coating inside fails.
Hmm...so no using it at the beach, or poolside, or in the hot tub? Looks like the ziploc bag I use is looking better and better...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
bartbrat
bartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to behold

Hi all, thanks a lot for your response. It turned out it was the ebook I was reading that caused this. When I finished the book, the problem was solved. Still very strange, maybe it's the Kobo patch in combination with certain books?

Thanks again for your thoughts on this and have a nice day!
Bart
bartbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have seen the same thing with a book I was reading over the weekend. It happened whenever the cover was shown. The code displaying the cover in the book is identical to all my others. It's basically the standard cover that calibre inserts. So, it has to be something different about the cover image in the book, but, I can't see what it is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote