Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
wdonne
ISV
wdonne began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
ODFToEPub 1.1 has been released

ODFToEPub 1.1 has some new features that provide for more professional e-book making:

- Proportional width handling of images and tables.
- Floating frames and frames that can be centred and left or right aligned.
- Index of tables and illustrations.
- More control over the layout of generated indexes.
- Support for writing-modes (left-to-right and right-to-left).
- Support for Asian and Complex Text Layout ODF-styles.
- Background images for paragraphs.
- Control over what goes into the spine of the book.
- Segmentation control through page breaks.

http://www.pincette.biz/odftoepub/

Best regards,

Werner Donné
Pincette bvba
wdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Can't you just publish as html and then use Calibre to turn it into an epub?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
wdonne
ISV

Hi,

Do the exercise with the following document:

http://www.pincette.biz/odftoepub/Op...1_segments.odt

Best regards,

Werner Donné
Pincette bvba
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Has anyone used this? I've generated HTML files with OpenOffice, and found the markup and stylesheets were unimpressive.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Has anyone used this? I've generated HTML files with OpenOffice, and found the markup and stylesheets were unimpressive.

Regards, Alex

very .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
I had a look at it but I have been testing quite a few converters and I have settled on writer2xhtml which is part of the writer2latex package:
http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/index.html

I ran the above document through it and I'm actually quite impressed. I don't know if pincette are willing to also publish the epub version but I'm willing to attach it if people want to have a look at what writer2xhtml does (it exports not only to xhtml but also directly to epub)

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
wdonne
ISV

Hi,

ODFToEPub doesn't rely on the HTML-generation by OpenOffice. It transforms ODF straight into ePub. If you try to generate HTML from the above document you will see it will hang up, while ODFToEPub will be ready in about ten seconds with this 800-page document.

The ePub-file of this document can be downloaded here:

http://www.pincette.biz/odftoepub/Op..._segments.epub

The generated style sheets will always be much larger than the CSS sheets you would write yourself. That is mainly because in ODF there is no selection mechanism as you have in CSS. ODFToEPub will produce about the same amount of CSS entries as there are automatic, global and default styles in an ODF-document combined. There are a bit more of them if Asian and Complex variants are used.

Best regards,

Werner Donné
Pincette bvba
Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
kiermel
Enthusiast
kiermel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Is there any similar but free? This is very expensive
kiermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiermel View Post

Perhaps similar .... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48775
Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Well, I use this nifty free little extension called writer2epub which has its own thread on this forum. writer here means of course OpenOffice.org Writer.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=69636&page=7

It does most of the job correctly and is amazingly quick.

Last edited by roger64; 07-18-2010 at 05:27 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
kiermel
Enthusiast

Thanks Geoffc, I know Atlantis. It is only for Windows and I have a Mac. And is not free.
And I'm looking for a extension for OpenOffice (Mac, Linux and Windows).
The only similar that I found is this (free), but still don't create TOC, as far as is inusable for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #12
GeoffC

Quote:
Thanks Geoffc, I know Atlantis. It is only for Windows and I have a Mac. And is not free.
The only similar that I found is this (free), but still don't create TOC, as far as is inusable for me.

What do you use at the moment ?

Is there a format that allows you to save and then use Calibre ?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
kiermel
Enthusiast

Calibre converts, but don't works fine with TOC for me. Now I use several tools (Sigil and others).

Mi goal is a free Word Processor (OpenOffice) and save or export to ePub.

NOTE: Now I discover than writer to ePub create TOC (0.3.5 version), but Adobe Digital Editions crash when I try to open the file. I repair this with Sigil. I'll will continue in their thread. Thanks for all
Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Just have a look at my post with link about writer2latex. It includes 2 export filters one for xhtml, in a couple of variations, and one for epub.

I had a look at the epub from pincette but I personally like the conversion of writer2latex better.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
kiermel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post
Just have a look at my post with link about writer2latex. It includes 2 export filters one for xhtml, in a couple of variations, and one for epub.

I had a look at the epub from pincette but I personally like the conversion of writer2latex better.

Regards,

Joop
Where is the link? I don't find writer2latex
Thanks