Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
iconeo
iconeo began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
Question magazine issn

Is there anyway to get calibre to read magazine issn for metadata. I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I have a large digital magazine collection and I am having a hard time getting the metadata for the issues...

Thanks,
Chau
iconeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no i'm afraid calibre only supports isbn based lookup
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
iconeo
iconeo began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
issn sici

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
no i'm afraid calibre only supports isbn based lookup
might calibre support issn sici in the future?
iconeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At some point if I generalize the isbn field to support different kinds of classifiers. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Oxonian
Oxonian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
At some point if I generalize the isbn field to support different kinds of classifiers. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Great product. It's really amazing.

Thanks! I'm writing this comment after 4 years this thread opened. I would also like to be able to add issn at my magazines. E-magazines are very very popular lately, and I get a lot from various publishers including IEEE for example. I would like to be able to store them in calibre by ISSN as well. Is it possible this to be done?
Oxonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can add any kind of identifier you like in the identifiers field, for example

issn:whatever
Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oxonian - maybe you could create an Extract_ISSN PI based on the Extract_ISBN plugin or make that PI dual purpose ==>> [GUI Plugin] Extract ISBN

Then you'd need Metadata Source PI's that used the ISSN to do the downloads.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As far as I know, there is no way to map ISSN to URL unlike say DOI or ISBN. As such while you can certainly enter ISSN numbers in the identifiers field, they are of limited usefulness.

EDIT: Actually, it turns out that worldcat does support linking ISSNs. Will be in next release.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-23-2014 at 02:22 AM.