Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 AM   #1
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
refrubished voyage or oasis or kobo aura one?

which one would you recommend?

upgrading from a kobo glo hd?
i dont mind either eco system as i will just convert from calibre
but which is snappier easier
i also use a lot of read it later function with pocket...is there any equivalent on kindle which is easier?
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Guthers
Guthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the roughGuthers is a jewel in the rough

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
i also use a lot of read it later function with pocket...is there any equivalent on kindle which is easier?
Do you mean something that captures web pages as you browse to read later on the Kindle? Or something which automatically captures news/rss feeds to read as a digest later (either with or without using Calibre)? There are solutions for all...
Guthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Gabriel.Voyager
Connoisseur
Gabriel.Voyager began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage 3G, Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post

upgrading from a kobo glo hd?
i dont mind either eco system as i will just convert from calibre
but which is snappier easier
Send to Kindle extension for browser, desktop, android

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

Last edited by Gabriel.Voyager; 09-07-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Gabriel.Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

yeh a bit like pocket / sending webbased articles etc across
i use that a lot
Old 09-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Hi,
I use "send to kindle" on my voyage. I used to like pocket on my Kobo Glo, but really can't tell much of a difference.

I have read several threads where people indicate that the Voyage has better contrast than the Oasis. I have poor vision and need all of the help I can get. I would get the refurbished Voyage, but that is just me.

HTH,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, between a refurbished Voyage or a Kobo Aura One, I'd go witht he Kobo Aura one. Bigger better screen with better front light. Lighter, able to handle ePub, more options in the firmware, able to sideload your own choice of fonts and better typesetting without the need for some exotic format that needs to be downloaded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It really depends on what you want to upgrade for.

If you want the smallest, lightest ereader that's supposedly the most ergonomic to hold, and are likely to buy an official case for it, then go for the Oasis - but be aware quite a few people think the screen of the Voyage is better.

If you want the best screen where the text pops off the page go for the Voyage - but be aware of the slight light gradient (appears to be true of all ereaders with a flush screen).

If you want the big screen (but not for PDF's) go for the Aura One. Although also consider the Aura H2O, as indications are that it still has possibly the best screen (on par with the Voyage) and with the most even light.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been seeing articles about a new Pocket like something or other called Readile or something like that. I haven't paid a lot of attention. I use Pocket but I have an old Kobo I can use when i don't want to read articles on my PC or phone.

[edit] I got the name wrong. It's Reabble[/edit]

Barry

Last edited by barryem; 09-07-2016 at 08:12 PM.
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
It really depends on what you want to upgrade for.

If you want the smallest, lightest ereader that's supposedly the most ergonomic to hold, and are likely to buy an official case for it, then go for the Oasis - but be aware quite a few people think the screen of the Voyage is better.

If you want the best screen where the text pops off the page go for the Voyage - but be aware of the slight light gradient (appears to be true of all ereaders with a flush screen).

If you want the big screen (but not for PDF's) go for the Aura One. Although also consider the Aura H2O, as indications are that it still has possibly the best screen (on par with the Voyage) and with the most even light.
If you want the worst designed and poorest battery, go for the Oasis. if you want to go for a Reader where the text pops, the Voyage is OK but a bit small. The H2O has a really good screen and the extra space is very nice if you don't want to go up to 7.8".

If you want larger than the H2O, go for the Aura One.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
wakkaday
Groupie

thanks guys
awaiting delivery of aura one
if rubbish will prob got for voyage i do like the button option to navigate pages