Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 AM   #2761
catlover1019
Enthusiast
catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
So, my previous bug report still stands, but I've had another unrelated thought.

Have you considered adding support for DeviantArt stories? Of course, I have no idea what the requirements are for a site to be added, or what constitutes easy or hard to do. I just know there is quite a lot of fic on DeviantArt, and they finally seem to have a consistent tagging/keywords system.
catlover1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #2762
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@catlover1019

I dropped a message to the developer who wrote the code for inkbunny. It's only been a couple days.

As for DeviantArt stories, can you posted a couple representative (SFW) story URLs from there?

Fair warning: I very rarely add new sites myself anymore. Usually only what I want to read myself.

There are other developers who do sometimes add sites on request, or you can contribute the code yourself. We encourage code contribution.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #2763
catlover1019
Enthusiast
catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.catlover1019 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@catlover1019

I dropped a message to the developer who wrote the code for inkbunny. It's only been a couple days.
Alright, no problem. I didn't think about the fact that you probably didn't code that one yourself.

Quote:
As for DeviantArt stories, can you posted a couple representative (SFW) story URLs from there?
Here's some links: https://theenigmamachine.deviantart....e-10-692934749

https://theenigmamachine.deviantart....blem-650523107

https://xgblue.deviantart.com/art/So...-Way-739572212

https://milesprower06.deviantart.com...tory-674470090

I did specifically choose stories posted in the last couple years, because the keywords system only seems to be that old. Here's an older story without keywords:
https://kristencatsa.deviantart.com/...-art-295683210

Quote:
Fair warning: I very rarely add new sites myself anymore. Usually only what I want to read myself.

There are other developers who do sometimes add sites on request, or you can contribute the code yourself. We encourage code contribution.
Who might some of these developers be?

As for contributing the code myself, I don't personally have very much experience at all coding. I'm currently in my first year of college, going for a computer science degree, but I've never coded for anything other than a class assignment. I've taken 1 quarter of interductory Python and 1 quarter of introductory C++.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #2764
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@catlover1019 -

All of those examples would seem to indicate that DeviantArt still isn't a story site as such (no mechanism for multi-chapter stories for example), but more of a blog site that some people post fics to--sometimes in radically different ways. This one, for example is a PDF file...

I won't say it will never happen, but it's not a good fit for FFF. You might google for other tools that can make ebooks from web pages.

You can visit the project on GitHub to see who's contributed in past. It's not like we have meetings or anything.

As for contributing, you're welcome to try your hand. Ideally, code contributions should be in the form of GitHub Pull Requests. There are many tutorials out there on the process of using git and GitHub.

Plus, I can guarantee that learning about code versioning and distributed code management will only help your future ComSci career.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #2765
catlover1019
Enthusiast

Quote:
@catlover1019 -

All of those examples would seem to indicate that DeviantArt still isn't a story site as such (no mechanism for multi-chapter stories for example), but more of a blog site that some people post fics to--sometimes in radically different ways. This one, for example is a PDF file...
I've never actually ran into a story before on deviantArt like that. As for multi-chaptered stories, support for those is choppy a best even on sites with a big emphasis on stories. Inkbunny doesn't have it, and neither does SoFurry which started out as a story site back in the day. In terms of what it does and doesn't have, it seems pretty on par with Inkbunny, having keywords that can literally be anything and not much else. The vast majority of stories on DA are html, not weird stuff like PDF. Also the nested catagory hierarchy can provide some stuff useful as metadata. I.e "Literature / Fan Fiction / Romance"

Quote:
I won't say it will never happen, but it's not a good fit for FFF. You might google for other tools that can make ebooks from web pages.
I've been downloading stories from there using dotEPUB, which works, but of course it doesn't automatically collect metadata. It's gonna be a lot of work to get the ebooks into a format that I'm happy with. If FanFicFare supported DA, all I'd have to do is maybe add tags on stories without them.

Quote:
You can visit the project on GitHub to see who's contributed in past. It's not like we have meetings or anything.

As for contributing, you're welcome to try your hand. Ideally, code contributions should be in the form of GitHub Pull Requests. There are many tutorials out there on the process of using git and GitHub.

Plus, I can guarantee that learning about code versioning and distributed code management will only help your future ComSci career.
I will look into people who have previously contributed, and the possibility of doing it myself.

On another note, I mentioned SoFurry, and that seems, despite being mostly original fiction, a good fit for FanFicFare, with much more of an actual story system.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #2766
Ryune
Enthusiast
Ryune began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, IPhone, Oasis 2
So, guys, I have a question here. My kindle recently decided to stop displaying the newer Mobi files I have been uploading. No clue why but I found a work around to it by converting to AZW3. Now, I upload things using the Reading Lists plugin and fanficfare is set to download things into epub. Is there a way to set it so that items are automatically converted to AZW3 instead of MOBI on upload?

EDIT: so never mind that. Something i did while dicking around fixed it... dunno.

Anyway, @jimmyXinu. I have to wonder, is there any chance of something like Webnovel downloader's functionality being added to FFF? It would be really nice to be able to just direct FFF to a web page with a contents page and be able to go to town on just about anything.

Last edited by Ryune; 06-10-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Ryune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #2767
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Ryune -

There's already an option on the 'Basic' tab of FFF's config for 'Automatically Convert new/updated books'. Bottom left. Converts to the format you have set for Calibre's default conversion about. I use that every day to convert to AZW3 for Kindle and have for years now.

I am unfamiliar with "Webnovel downloader's functionality". FFF already can download stories from webnovel.com, although I did not write that code myself.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #2768
catlover1019
Enthusiast

I also have a feature request that I believe to be within the scope of this plugin.

Let's say that one has some files that were created by FanFicFare, but somehow or another have been stripped of their metadata. Well, most, if not all, of the information used to create the metadata is would still be there, at the beginning of the files. It would be nice if FanFicFare had a way to read the information it put at the beginning of a file, and add it to the Calibre/ebook metadata.

Is this possible/ easily doable? Is there already an easy way to do this that I'm missing?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #2769
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@catlover1019 -

The contents and appearance of the title page (as well as its presence or absence) are user configurable. So FFF can't depend on it being in any one format.

I experimented with putting metadata in hidden tags or in the epub metadata files, but those were stripped by Calibre during certain operations or flagged by epubcheck.

The solution we arrived at is the 'Saved Metadata Column' discussed fairly recently here.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #2770
cryosaur
cryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with otherscryosaur plays well with others

Quote:
... I can see where that fact is non-intuitive.
Okay, yeah. Would not have guessed that behavior.

I do like your second example, even if it's rather verbose. Thank you.
cryosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #2771
gcomyn
gcomyn began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop, Tablet (nothing specific)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover1019 View Post
Hello, I'm having a problem downloading stories from inkbunny,net.
[[cut]]
I'm taking a look at it right now... I've been swamped with work for a while, and havn't been checking things on my computer much...

I'll let you know when I get it fixed.

GComyn

UPDATE: I've sent the updated adapter to Jimm, so he can have it updated soon.
GComyn

Last edited by gcomyn; 06-11-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Updated information
gcomyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #2772
catlover1019
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcomyn View Post
I'm taking a look at it right now... I've been swamped with work for a while, and havn't been checking things on my computer much...

I'll let you know when I get it fixed.

GComyn
Alright. Thank you very much.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #2773
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2018-06-11
- Site update fixes for adapter_inkbunnynet, thanks GComyn.

FYI, the URLs in the initial problem report (https://inkbunny.net/s/1234567) are not to a story with text and therefore FFF cannot download them. I changed the error message to reflect that.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 AM   #2774
catlover1019
Enthusiast

@JimmXinu Thanks
Quote:
New Test Version Posted
FYI, the URLs in the initial problem report (https://inkbunny.net/s/1234567) are not to a story with text and therefore FFF cannot download them. I changed the error message to reflect that.
I was aware that they were not story URLs, and couldn't be downloaded. I was simply using them as examples of the URL format, and it's actually the same URL you use for the example of the format on your supported sites page. I was not trying to download using those URLs.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #2775
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

When I have the following in my Personal.ini, it reacts with all series which has Angel in it.

Code:
category=>Angel$=>Angel: The Series
Is there anything I can do to avoid that it also changes Touched By An Angel to Touched By An Angel: The Series ?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction