Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #121
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userunfriendly View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned Schmitz!!!

Science fictionalized fantasy, but for pure enjoyment, he's the best.

Telzy Amberdon is incredibly memorable, so is Pausert!

I can't believe no one has mentioned The Witches of Karres, until I did!

Seriously, this is an incredibly entertaining book. I think it was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel, but did not win.

Read it or be forever deprived of never having been entertained!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-16-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #122
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcowboy View Post
www.gutenberg.org Science Fiction You can find a lot of good writers there.
A lot of the writers from the early days are out of copyright because they fell under the older copyright laws and never bothered to renew back when the initial renewal term came up. Doc Smith is a good example of this. Obviously, anyone pre-Campbell is out of copyright if the work came out pre-1929.

I went through a phase where I really like Leigh Brackett and specifically her Stark series. The series started as a group of short stories in the 40's and ended with three novels written in the early 70's. Baen collected them all together in one bundle. I think you can still buy the bundle.

Brackett and her husband, Edmond Hamilton were very talented writers in the classic pulp mode. Kind of odd that Brackett is likely better known of the two these days, but then again, she was also an excellent script writer in Hollywood. working on such classics as the Big Sleep, Rio Bravo and of course, The Empire Strikes Back.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #123
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is it possible there's some unintentional excess negation in that phrase?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #124
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Witches of Karres, until I did!

Seriously, this is an incredibly entertaining book. I think it was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel, but did not win.

I have read it many times over the years and will continue to do so. I also still have it in paper.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #125
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have read it many times over the years and will continue to do so. I also still have it in paper.
Apache
Same here.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #126
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Same here.
It's one I would take to court to read the next time I get jury duty. Our county does not allow cell phones or any other electronic devices past the elevators that lead to the courtrooms.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote