Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Kobo Aura H2O Officially Announced

Cool

Tech Specs:
http://www.kobo.com/koboaurah2o#techspecs

Ongoing Discussion:
MobileRead

More Details:
The Digital Reader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hero_device.png
Views:	4518
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	127330   Click image for larger version

Name:	hero_logo.png
Views:	1175
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	127331   Click image for larger version

Name:	aurah2o_blk_angledleft_single_home_ca.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	127332  

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I can't help wanting one...it's only a matter of time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Specs:

223g weight.
1 GHz Processor
4GB Storage (matching the recent paperwhite upgrades)
Submersion in water for up to 30 minutes in 1 meter depth (Great for those Scuba Dives where you just have to catch up on Game of Thrones!)
6.8" Carta E Ink HD Screen... 1430x1080 265 DPI

Not a bad lil machine!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
Specs:

223g weight.
1 GHz Processor
4GB Storage (matching the recent paperwhite upgrades)
Technically, Amazon is matching Kobo. The Aura HD started out with 4GB storage in April 2013.
I don't like the look of that back. It looks very smooth and glossy, like the previous version which was too slippery to hold. I would prefer something textured like the Aura.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Review from Goodereader. I don't particularly like these guys but they do get their stuff done promptly.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-kobo-aura-h20
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I don't like the look of that back. It looks very smooth and glossy, like the previous version which was too slippery to hold. I would prefer something textured like the Aura.
One of reported websites reporting leaks about the H2O talked about a textured back on it so hopefully it won't be smooth and hard. I'd still love if they went back to a quilted back like the originals.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is the touch system infrared or capacitive? The goodereader review says infrared with no pinch/zoom support, but Kobo specs say it has a multi-touch screen. (I hope it really is infrared.)

The specs say it has a power button, but don't mention a light button. I wonder if it is still possible to turn the light completely off?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I was a guest at the Kobo Aura H2O launch party in Toronto (where Kobo is headquartered) this evening, and have now held the device in my hands. Beautiful machine, very similar in form to the Kobo Aura HD, which it replaces. The launch party was held poolside, with a synchronized-swimming team going in and out of the water with H2O units.

Shipping October 1; Canadian retail price of $179. Only one physical switch (power); light on/off is now done by running a finger up the far left-hand side of the screen (from 0%, or off, at the bottom to 100% at the top).

The new Carta screen does noticeably whiter whites and blacker blacks than the screen on the HD.

The micro-SD slot and micro-USB connector are on the bottom, and, to maintain the waterproof seal, there's a hatch cover that goes over them.

The multitouch screen can detect when it has numerous points of contact simultaneously; the device interprets that circumstance as it being under water, or dappled with water spots, and can show a screen message to that effect (which can be disabled).

Case is slightly smaller and thinner than on the Aura HD, but the texture of the bezel and back is pretty much the same, as is the shape of the back. The H2O will come only in black (no espresso, no white), although it's really a very deep charcoal, not a solid black.

The Kobo logo is unobtrusively done in gloss finish against the matte bezel in dark type, centered at the bottom; it looks classier than on the HD.

The unit I held had firmware 3.7.0 installed (3.5.0 is the current public firmware for the Aura and Aura HD).

Terrific device, and I'm very glad to see it'll be in stores in time for Christmas.

All best wishes.

Rob
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Is the touch system infrared or capacitive? The goodereader review says infrared with no pinch/zoom support, but Kobo specs say it has a multi-touch screen. (I hope it really is infrared.)

The specs say it has a power button, but don't mention a light button. I wonder if it is still possible to turn the light completely off?
Infrared.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
nickart
Enthusiast
nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.nickart can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Review from Goodereader. I don't particularly like these guys but they do get their stuff done promptly.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-kobo-aura-h20

Quote from the review: "The Aura H20 was designed to excel at reading the two most popular electronic book formats, PDF and EPUB"

Can we conclude from this that pdf's will, in fact, be readable on the H20?

Because they're certainly not on the HD.
nickart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you suppose this is for those folks who have complained about not being able to read on their ereaders in the bath tub?

I can't imagine that many people who really ever wanted to read *in* the pool (as opposed to poolside).

I can remember pre-touch, however, slipping my Sony into a zippered plastic bag so I could soak in the tub with a good book. (Requires physical page turn buttons and best with a non-touch screen).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

As expected, that review is full of Kobo sycophantisim. I guess that's how they get their hands on the reader so quickly.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As expected, that review is full of Kobo sycophantisim. I guess that's how they get their hands on the reader so quickly.
I snickered when I saw that the IP67 standard described as "prestigious."
Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
tnforpaul45
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I was a guest at the Kobo Aura H2O launch party in Toronto (where Kobo is headquartered) this evening, and have now held the device in my hands. Beautiful machine, very similar in form to the Kobo Aura HD, which it replaces. The launch party was held poolside, with a synchronized-swimming team going in and out of the water with H2O units.

Shipping October 1; Canadian retail price of $179. Only one physical switch (power); light on/off is now done by running a finger up the far left-hand side of the screen (from 0%, or off, at the bottom to 100% at the top).

The new Carta screen does noticeably whiter whites and blacker blacks than the screen on the HD.

The micro-SD slot and micro-USB connector are on the bottom, and, to maintain the waterproof seal, there's a hatch cover that goes over them.

The multitouch screen can detect when it has numerous points of contact simultaneously; the device interprets that circumstance as it being under water, or dappled with water spots, and can show a screen message to that effect (which can be disabled).

Case is slightly smaller and thinner than on the Aura HD, but the texture of the bezel and back is pretty much the same, as is the shape of the back. The H2O will come only in black (no espresso, no white), although it's really a very deep charcoal, not a solid black.

The Kobo logo is unobtrusively done in gloss finish against the matte bezel in dark type, centered at the bottom; it looks classier than on the HD.

The unit I held had firmware 3.7.0 installed (3.5.0 is the current public firmware for the Aura and Aura HD).

Terrific device, and I'm very glad to see it'll be in stores in time for Christmas.

All best wishes.

Rob
That's great! I saw Kobo's pic on facebook of the pool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Cool! Thanks for the first hand report.