Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Kobo Aura H2O - First Impressions

I received Kobo Aura H2O from Futureshop a few hours ago.

First impressions (please note that I used only Kindles before Kobo):

- It is heavy. I don't mind the size of the device but compared to my former Kindle Paperwhite 1, Kobo is heavy.

- The basel is a fingerprint magnet

- I am very disappointed by Kobo's firmware with regard to annotations - There is no easy way to export my highlights from a book to simple text file. One of the main reasons why I prefer to use an eBook reader is to make highlights and save notes.

- I really don't like that I cannot hide page numbers at the bottom of the screen as they waste a lot of space.

- The screen looks good and I like the fact that I can transfer my ePub files.

I will play a little bit more with Kobo but I will most likely return it this week as the above problems are a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited by robertpolson; 09-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Means ARE coming to officially hide page numbers.

Annotations always have been problematic, however there are calibre plugins to assist with retrieving them. Check out both the Kobo Utilities and the Annotations plugins.

Pay attention to the currently hidden option that allows exporting of Annotations to a text file. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=4
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Annotations always have been problematic, however there are calibre plugins to assist with retrieving them. Check out both the Kobo Utilities and the Annotations plugins.

Pay attention to the currently hidden option that allows exporting of Annotations to a text file. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=4
Thank you. I will check these out. Unfortunately, the latest version of Calibre (2.4 at the time of this writing) does not recognize Kobo H2O
Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know.... it's a minor change which will be forthcoming this week. David had added an USB id in for it, but it seems your device has a different ID than was expected.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Epub, kepub, kobo purchased kepub?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It'll be a thin strip of black adhesive tape, so it will work with all three.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Disappointed to hear about the fingerprint on the bezel. The Aura HD is terrible about that. The Aura was much better.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any of the above.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
Thank you. I will check these out. Unfortunately, the latest version of Calibre (2.4 at the time of this writing) does not recognize Kobo H2O
Sorry about that. As stated in your thread in the calibre forum, it was a typo. I will make the change in the next couple of days ready for the next calibre release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I haven't had a chance to handle it yet, but I've seen the official sleep cover in person at Future Shop as well - it's heads and shoulders above the old HD case.

Then again, a cheap sleeve was better than the official HD case. The sleep cover for the HP actually has some grip on the back, and seems to have more of a frame than a full body cradle in the back half, to lighten up the weight, while still covering enough of the edges and corners that would otherwise take the hit in a tumble. The cover itself seems less prone to flopping around when held open.

Still haven't seen the screen in person yet, but I think it'll replace the Aura HD for sure.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
robertpolson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry about that. As stated in your thread in the calibre forum, it was a typo. I will make the change in the next couple of days ready for the next calibre release.
Will the new update also support fetching annotations?

I got so disappointed with lack of annotations export that I placed Kobo back in the box. I heavily rely on highlighting text from books and exporting it for notes/references. Kindle makes it easy to do but Kobo firmware frustrated me.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

As has been said before, Annotation support is available within some of the calibre addons, and also you were pointed to a post on how to enable exporting annotations on the device.

Its also worth noting that most of those who do development on calibre and it's plugins, prefer to work on features THEY want to see and use themselves.

Last edited by PeterT; 09-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #13
robertpolson
Connoisseur

This little hack made me give Kobo another try:

If you add "ExportHighlights=true" to the "FeatureSettings" section of the devices config file, a menu item will be added to the books menu in in the library list on the device to export them as a text file on the device.

I had to manually add this section to the config file

/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf
Old 09-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
- The basel is a fingerprint magnet.
If it is anything like the Glo, this will change after a bit of use.

My Glo came with a fine powdery layer on the bezel that showed fingerprints very well, but after a week or so the layer wore off and fingerprints no longer show.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
This little hack made me give Kobo another try:

If you add "ExportHighlights=true" to the "FeatureSettings" section of the devices config file, a menu item will be added to the books menu in in the library list on the device to export them as a text file on the device.

I had to manually add this section to the config file

/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf
Apparently you can also add "FullScreenReading=true" under FeatureSettings and it will add a menu option to turn off the header and footer. However I understand that this causes some kepubs to have cutoff text.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h2o