Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #76
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I don't think I've watched a lot of TV shows from New Zealand, do you have any recommendations?
#1 is Brokenwood Mysteries - plots comparable to Midsomer but more colorful cast of main characters, especially Gina the Russian pathologist. In one a guy is blown up and she tells Mike the Sr. Sgt. that she finally put all the pieces back together - fortunately back in Russia she was her high school's Tetris champion.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #77
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
#1 is Brokenwood Mysteries - plots comparable to Midsomer but more colorful cast of main characters, especially Gina the Russian pathologist. In one a guy is blown up and she tells Mike the Sr. Sgt. that she finally put all the pieces back together - fortunately back in Russia she was her high school's Tetris champion.
Sounds like fun, thanks!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:33 AM   #78
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've watched Netflix's Space Force. Which I really enjoyed. I'm now watching Titan Games, also on Netflix. Which is okay. A bit repetitive if you watch more than one episode.

I've just gone down a "recommended for you" rabbit hole on IMDB and now have a list of TV series I want to watch. So far there are 10, most of them mystery or crime, luckily most of them are short. I'll have to see what's available to me at the moment, but I'll probably start with Baptiste.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #79
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last night I watched the first episode of Baptiste. Which I enjoyed. It's set in Amsterdam, but the main character is French. But the series is mainly in English with subtitles for other languages. It's weird to see Dutch subtitled.

I must say that the Amsterdam portrayed is a very quiet Amsterdam. There were scenes on the Wallen, at night and I think it's rarely that quiet at night on the Wallen. Maybe right now it is as quiet as the series portrays, but Amsterdam is normally a lot busier.

It's now time to make a cup of tea and settle in for tonight's viewing. I'm going to catch up on a couple of series and maybe one episode of Baptiste.

I'm also looking forward to Miss Scarlet and the Duke. Hopefully it isn't too cozy or romantic. I love historic mysteries in books, too. My favourite is the Sebastian St. Cyr series, but I've just started the Lady Darby series and I'm loving that as well. I wish there were tv series like that.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #80
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm quite enjoying Space Force. It's a bit silly (deliberately so) but that's OK when I'm in the mood for silly.

What platform is Baptiste on?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #81
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'm quite enjoying Space Force. It's a bit silly (deliberately so) but that's OK when I'm in the mood for silly.

What platform is Baptiste on?
I found it on a Dutch streaming site. But apparently it's the third season of The Missing, which is on Netflix, at least in the Netherlands. Why they offer the third season separately is a mystery to me. But I have two more seasons to look forward to.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 AM   #82
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Going through my TV series app (yes, I have an app that keeps track of the series I like). And I see that there were several series I'm behind. I've got the last season of Criminal Minds and the last four seasons of NCIS still to watch. I also still need to finish some series that were recently aired.

This summer's watching will be mainly focused on catching up on those series. I will break it up with other, new series and films.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:47 AM   #83
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Currently on series 10 of NCIS, so a few more to go! Always loved it, but here in the uk they seemed to keep shuffling the day/time episodes were shown and I saw most of them, but missed a few along the way. With my digital streaming box I am now happily watching them all in the right order!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #84
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We've watched the old series Murphy's Law with James Nesbitt as an undercover cop. Not bad but gets a bit depressing in the end.

Then McCallum with John Hannah as a forensic pathologist. It was OK but I've now seen Hannah in this, Rebus and Spartacus and can't say I'm much of a fan.

Lastly a fun New Zealand miniseries Blue Rose with a Scoobie gang of misfits trying to find their friend's murderer and righting a few unrelated injustices along the way.

The Acorn original Dead Still that's currently airing looks promising...
Old 06-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #85
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I finished season 15 of NCIS and the final season of Criminal Minds. And season two and three of Queer Eye.

I've started the second season of Ozark, but I can only manage one episode a night for some reason. Instead of diving back into NCIS or starting the second season of Castle Rock, I've decided to catch up on several series. I got a bunch I need to finish the latest season off, I have between one and five episodes left of several different series. I want to finish those up, before I forget the details of the story line.

Tonight I watched two horror films. Fantasy Island, which I really enjoyed. And Ghostland, which was just confusing with a lot of screaming.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #86
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We finally watched the last of the Star Wars movies, The Rise of Skywalker and Rogue One.

We are long time fans of the franchise, the first (episode 4) of the movies came out the year we were married. I really liked Rogue One and found it easily the best of the movies. It takes place just days before Episode 4, A New Hope.

We started The Mandalorian which is basically part of the Star Wars universe.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #87
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

We watched S2 of the bleak Welsh series Hidden - kind of Scandinavian noir so not for everyone but worth a look if you like that style.

Now we're doing Strike Back, starting S3. Thoroughly nonsensical but kind of fun in small doses.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #88
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Marble racing

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:37 AM   #89
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Last night I watched two films, first was The Disappointments Room. Which felt like only half a story, with lots of threads kept hanging in the end.

I also watched Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood again. I saw it in the cinema before. I still enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch films tonight or continue with TV series. I have a bunch of films on my to watch list and it's easier to get those of my list than tv series.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #90
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Another bleak miniseries, River (2015). Stellan Skarsgard is a disturbingly intense DI with some interesting psychological issues.

I'm also in the throes of Montalbano withdrawal after finishing the last book...