Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Grmblwd
Grmblwd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
Random Sleeping

I have just joined and wondered if anyone else is having problems with their Glo.

It can go off at any time and the slider switch doesn't do anything, even holding it 'on' for 20,30 seconds.

Mine's quite old (relativly speaking) and just recently it just suddenly goes to sleep.

I have to do a paperclip reset - the green/blue lights flash, and it starts ok, but can then sleep again. Sometimes it just comes back on again without the reset.

I've done a factory reset and it's no different.The software version is 4.21.15015.

Any help would be appreciated.
Grmblwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It isn't an obvious response, but I would suggest replacing the internal SD card. From my experience, plus a lot of reports here, the cards in the Glo are getting old, failing and causing all sorts of weird issues. When it started for mine, the device would hang and restart randomly. You can create an image from the current card and try that, or I can supply an image to use. Other problems such such as the database on the device getting corrupted frequently are also a strong indicator of a failing SD card.

Other than that, random seeming sleeps can be because there is a magnet of some sort near enough to trigger the cover. That usually happens when putting the device down somewhere rather than while reading. Some of the newer devices have had issues when the cover is completely open. That seems to be related to the strength and position of the magnets in the cover. I don't think I have seen it reported with the Glo. But, turning the sleep cover option off would let you test if this is happening.

Holding the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds should force the device to turn off without updating the screen. After that, you need to turn it on. I haven't seen this not work unless something really bad is going on. Though, the switch on my Glo has worn down enough that it can be slippery.

The pinhole reset button only has an effect if the device is on. If the device has been powered off, it won't do anything.

And you probably should stop reading here...

My first thought when I saw the thread was, "Then stop reading boring books".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Other than that, random seeming sleeps can be because there is a magnet of some sort near enough to trigger the cover. That usually happens when putting the device down somewhere rather than while reading.
This occasionally happens with my Tolino reader if I set it down near something with a magnet.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:28 AM   #4
Grmblwd

OK davidfor, I'll have a look at that.

I'll assume this remark/comment is a joke?

I wonder what your second thought was?
Old 06-05-2020, 04:20 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmblwd View Post
OK davidfor, I'll have a look at that.

I'll assume this remark/comment is a joke?

I wonder what your second thought was?
Pretty much whether I should start or end with the joke
Old 06-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Do you use a sleep cover? davidfor touched on it a bit, but I thought I'd add that with my old Glo, the magnet on the sleep cover was strong enough to trigger a sleep from behind the device from time to time. The Glo would flash between sleeping and awake quickly, which would sometimes cause it to become unresponsive when awake (even my Aura H2O sometimes does this if I put it to sleep and wake it quickly).

I eventually got used to just holding the device with my finger between the back of the device and the cover.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:59 AM   #7
Grmblwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Do you use a sleep cover? davidfor touched on it a bit, but I thought I'd add that with my old Glo, the magnet on the sleep cover was strong enough to trigger a sleep from behind the device from time to time. The Glo would flash between sleeping and awake quickly, which would sometimes cause it to become unresponsive when awake (even my Aura H2O sometimes does this if I put it to sleep and wake it quickly).

I eventually got used to just holding the device with my finger between the back of the device and the cover.
I have had a sleep cover for years, but this has just started happening recently so I was inclined to think it wasn't the magnet. Now this has been suggested I am wondering if the SD card is the problem as identified by davidfor.

If you read this davidfor, how do you get the image to copy and replace the card? - I have a 8Gig card that I can use for replacement. I plugged the card into my computer and it wants to reformat, - maybe not a good idea.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The SD card is formatted with multiple partitions, and Windows doesn't like that. Plus two of the partitions are formatted with file systems that, again, Windows doesn't like. So, no, you don't want reformat it.

I have sent you a PM with the link to the image. You need to write this to the card. You can look at Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for instructions.