Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple releases a slew of 14.6 updates

Apple has released iOS / iPadOS 14.6, tvOS 14.6, Big Sur 11.4, and watchOS 7.5.

The new Podcast subscriptions have arrived, so we are @$%#ed again... Seems like every company wants to charge for everything nowadays.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Apple has released iOS / iPadOS 14.6, tvOS 14.6, Big Sur 11.4, and watchOS 7.5.

The new Podcast subscriptions have arrived, so we are @$%#ed again... Seems like every company wants to charge for everything nowadays.
Thanks for the update. I figured it would be soon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Thus far, there have been many attempts to monetize podcasts, but I have yet to see a success. This is just another attempt. I don’t think it’s going to catch on.

At least Apple isn’t trying to mix them with Music like Spotify or Amazon, or with audiobooks like Audible. Dammit, I already don’t have enough time to listen to music or audiobooks, much less another podcast.

I probably delete 2/3’s of my podcast downloads without listening to them, and of the rest, probably bail on half without getting to the end. I do support my favorites via Patreon, but I don’t want to be tied to a particular platform or app.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Thus far, there have been many attempts to monetize podcasts, but I have yet to see a success. This is just another attempt. I don’t think it’s going to catch on.

At least Apple isn’t trying to mix them with Music like Spotify or Amazon, or with audiobooks like Audible. Dammit, I already don’t have enough time to listen to music or audiobooks, much less another podcast.

I probably delete 2/3’s of my podcast downloads without listening to them, and of the rest, probably bail on half without getting to the end. I do support my favorites via Patreon, but I don’t want to be tied to a particular platform or app.
Yes, I support my favorites via patreon and most seem to have ads now, but I can't imagine paying a monthly subscription fee for the vast majority of podcasts. I'm certainly not going to move to such a platform. It's a bit like authors, most podcasters have an issue with getting people to listen to them. There are probably a handful of podcasters who might be able to get people to pay.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fortunately for myself I rarely listen to podcasts. Same goes for radio talk shows and audio books. I either zone out or get busy with other things then realize the podcast/talk show/audio book was little more than background noise once my attention faded or I got distracted. I much prefer Youtube videos to talk only. If I feel like I’m being engaged by the presenter(s) via face contact, then I'm more inclined to keep watching/listening. If I still commuted to wok on a regular basis I probably would listen to more podcasts, but being retired and staying home most of the time I rarely even think about them, much less listen to them.

As far as commercials/ads go, I really don't have an issue with that. I grew up in the 1960s when you watched TV OTA or you didn't watch it all. No cable in my area back then. TV and radio commercials were just a fact of life and I got used to it. Youtube has ads and that is okay except they place them in based on a time algorithm rather than waiting for the video to reach a good place for a commercial break. Commercials on TV and radio blend in well, but on Youtube they often come during the middle of a sentence, and that is too distracting. It would be much better if Youtube told their video providers to expect ads at specific time intervals. Then at least some of the videos would be edited to transition into ads rather than be interrupted by them.
Advert
Old 05-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

YouTube is anathema to me: I don’t like the tracking/profiling, and the bubble of recommendations it traps you in. Plus it disallows multitasking (cleaning, mowing, weeding, shoveling snow, exercising, driving, etc.).
Old 05-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Yep, Youtube is a mess all around, but the only viable mess out there. There are other services, but none have much content. I use it mostly to view reviews, how-to videos, and occasionally a few old music videos. I don't watch it for TV shows or movies. The other TV streaming services are better for that, and usually have more content and channels.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
YouTube is anathema to me: I don’t like the tracking/profiling, and the bubble of recommendations it traps you in. Plus it disallows multitasking (cleaning, mowing, weeding, shoveling snow, exercising, driving, etc.).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Yep, Youtube is a mess all around, but the only viable mess out there. There are other services, but none have much content. I use it mostly to view reviews, how-to videos, and occasionally a few old music videos. I don't watch it for TV shows or movies. The other TV streaming services are better for that, and usually have more content and channels.
There seems to be quite a bit of difference on the amount of ads in the different YouTube feeds. Most of the time, I won't click on a YouTube feed. There is a limit on the amount of time I will waste. I hate the embedded video ads. I'm gone as soon as I see there is one, I don't care what the video is.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Of course, you can pay to have ad-free experience, but the data collection will continue.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I wonder if the subscription levels paid by the video providers, or lack of one, affects the ads too. Some services allow the paying providers to have ad free channels. I’m not sure what Youtube does though. I have a Youtube channel but it is the free version as I only post things I want to share in forums (rarely) or with friends and family (more often).