Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #121
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treo View Post

It looks fine for me, you can take a look at the video in the attachment.
That’s fun! (Though it might not be so great at higher words per minute)

The current version is 8.42.0.100, BTW.

Wonder why Kindle app is not indicating Audible enabled books. Maybe it is taking some time to synch your library fully. You might try the Sync option in MORE menu.

Also wondering what it takes for Amazon Appstore to know this device is ‘compatible’.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-26-2021 at 02:16 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:40 PM   #122
philips
philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
Has anyone found a reasonable case for this device that can be purchased easily in the US? I realize CECT Shop added a TPU case but doing $12 delivery on a $12 case seems silly.

My main concern is how slippery it is- I don’t want it spilling out of my pocket.
philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2021, 05:27 AM   #123
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by philips View Post
Has anyone found a reasonable case for this device that can be purchased easily in the US? I realize CECT Shop added a TPU case but doing $12 delivery on a $12 case seems silly.

My main concern is how slippery it is- I don’t want it spilling out of my pocket.
I'd use a strap like this with an adjustable metal buckle:
AliExpress

To protect the screen you could always use a cloth pouch or something like that. Those should be available for mobile phones.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:06 PM   #124
qwerty12
qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Xiaomi inkPalm 5
I switched from F-Droid Classic to Foxy Droid. The former is great but its scrolling performance when listing lots of applications wasn't good.
Foxy Droid is smoother to use, even with the IzzyOnDroid repo added. It seems to load apps' icons on demand, which happens to benefit RAM-starved devices. FD's ActionBar was dark themed and not showing up properly on the inkPalm.
I changed the colours to look more normal on the inkPalm; you can find the built APK here if interested. As the changes are trivial, you may consider applying them yourself to the original FD APK with Apktool.

I used Foxy Droid to install Aurora Store, from which I then installed the latest Moon+ Reader Pro after signing into my Google account. I don't know if it's too early to tell, but Moon+ Reader Pro doesn't seem to need Google Play Services installed. (If only root was a possibility so microG could be installed )
Aurora Store works great on the inkPalm, you just need to grant it the ability to install applications from the Android Settings application (Apps & notifications -> Special app access -> Install unknown apps).

MoreLocale 2 works to set the inkPalm's device language into English (United Kingdom) (and maybe others too) with the following caveats:
  • the only noticeable difference to me between en_GB and en_US is that the am/pm is in lower case on the former...
  • the dark theme of the application makes it impossible to see the language list. I used scrcpy(-mirrored) to press the Custom Locale button and fill in en for Language and GB for Country myself
  • when the locale is changed, you must go back into the Android language settings (use my launcher or the guides for the adb command) and make sure English (United States) is the second language. Otherwise after rebooting, the inkPalm will reset your language changes and run through a factory test (in Chinese)...

Anyway.

There's a new minor release of the launcher which lets you change the system-wide setting of automatic screen refreshes after 𝑥 page turns:
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrcpy_GuoNJ494b8.png
Views:	240
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	187490

It can be accessed by tapping-and-holding the Settings icon. As far as I know (and I hope this is the case or I wasted time for nothing ), that setting can't be changed anywhere else on the inkPalm 5 across its three settings applications. The original setting is in the Device Settings section of the Moann Settings application which always crashes (the application was made for MiReaders and makes wrong assumptions on other devices). The other settings that section exposes can be changed elsewhere.
qwerty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #125
qwerty12
qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
(If only root was a possibility[...]
Well, I should never say never

Name:	scrcpy_ry0tKpt5Ov.png
Views:	265
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	187529Click image for larger version

Name:	scrcpy_S7JqnwZWU0.png
Views:	257
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	187530

https://github.com/qwerty12/inkPalm-5-EPD105-root

Last edited by qwerty12; 06-08-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Link to guide
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #126
philips
philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, I should never say never

I'll try and write a guide in a few days' time...
Nice work! I look forward to the guide.
philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #127
qwerty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips View Post
Nice work! I look forward to the guide.
Thanks! As promised.

---

Since I'm posting, there have been updates to the launcher: https://github.com/qwerty12/E-Ink-La.../tag/0.1.9.2.5

The biggest fix is that the inkPalm won't turn on the Wi-Fi again if you turned it off with the launcher. This is fix terrible code from the Moann team with their silly modifications to Android. Unfortunately, fixing this does requires running adb shell pm grant com.moan.moanwm android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS over ADB once. If you notice nothing wrong with the current behaviour, ignore this and move on.

Last edited by qwerty12; 06-08-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #128
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour

I'm quite pleased with case that's now on Cect. It's nicer to hold, and doesn't add much weight/bulk.

I also bought 5 more screen protectors from them. They seem the same as the original. I managed to get one on with no bubbles at the 3rd attempt. The pic above is in very bright sunlight.

https://www.cect-shop.com/en/xiaomi-...iive-case.html
https://www.cect-shop.com/en/xiaomi-...protector.html
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #129
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
I found a solution to remove the dust from the protector :
Take 2 post-its,
Put them back to back, shifted 5mm one from the other, their sticky parts also back to back.
Fold this resting 5mm wide band of the sticky border of one post-it, and stick it to the sticky part of the other post-it.
You should end up with a double sided post-it. Like a double sided tape, but with post-its.

Then pull the protector up, slide the post-it between the screen and the protector, press, and this should remove the dust

My protector was messed up with a lot of dusts, and I could totally clean it. It takes time though.

Don't hesitate if it's not clear (this description was hard to write )
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #130
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Small question: how is the battery usage for you?

I didn't make a full test, so i may very well be wrong, but it looks like I can use okreader 10 hours (during one week), and that's all (with wifi off)

Do you have the same?
Do you think it's acceptable for an ebook reader?

thanks
Old 06-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #131
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I use mine for a couple of hours a day. No WiFi/Bluetooth but light on low all the time.

I charge it about every 3 days when it dips below 50%.

I’m fine with that, as one of the reasons it’s so small and light is a small battery.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #132
treo
Read ebook - save a tree
treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Touch, InkPalm, PB Touch HD 3, Oasis, Aura One, Paperlike
Arrow wireless charging

Just added a wireless charging to my InkPalm.
It’s super thin and charging fine for now.

From 50% to about 100% in 1 hour.

So, can recommend it - Baseus 1000 mA Usb-C.

Added bonus - it’s micro fiber and it gives nice grip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	88A92FDC-83DB-4D48-AD60-4203979DD048.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	187641   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DA2FF6F-C0AE-4EAA-9DEA-E5A08D735BEA.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	187642   Click image for larger version

Name:	9038CB6B-87BE-450C-BDCB-BAC689B46369.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	187643   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BB5318D-F80E-4011-BF05-5B53DA6B1862.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	187644   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD4A20BE-A8A3-4F5E-AEF8-48B036E41D7C.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	187645  
treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #133
treo
Read ebook - save a tree
treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Touch, InkPalm, PB Touch HD 3, Oasis, Aura One, Paperlike
Question Turning on when charging in and out

My InkPalm screen is turning on when plug in for charging and when plug out…

Any ideas how to keep it off?
treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #134
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
That's an annoying Android feature. I've never seen an overide (Android stuff from V2.x to 8.x). You have to hit the power / sleep again when connecting or disconnecting and every time there is a supply glitch. There is sometimes an override to stop screen going off when external power, which is useful, but not a solution to this stupid feature. It would be fine if it was an option.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:52 AM   #135
michel24

Does someone know if it's possible to put the whole device in landscape mode?

In the pocket app, web view doesn't allow to change font size, and it is too small. Putting the android in landscape mode would be a solution, since the pocket app itself doesn't have a landscape mode.

Thanks