Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 02:43 AM   #1
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
New Kobo eReader - possible Kobo Aura 2

I am surprised that no one is talking about the possible new Kobo eReader.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...lears-the-fcc/

Does anyone have any info? Is there any references to it in the firmware?

I am hoping for a Kobo Aura 2 with a IMX.7 and a better (more consistent) front light.

Glen
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's a surprise. I figured if we hadn't seen one of these leaks before now, we weren't going to see another new device this year.

My bet would be an "Aura ONE Edition 2". Basically the Aura ONE but with the same CPU that the Clara HD has. The case might be updated to match the Clara HD. And hopefully an improved light.

The article mentions an SD card, but I don't see that in a quick search of the documents. I can see reference to memory whose part numbers start with "SD", but they seem to be embedded chips. There are two sizes, 8GB and 32GB, so that suggests Kobo is preparing two versions with the different memory sizes. Maybe one of them will be an "Aura ONE Limited Edition Edition 2". Or is that "Aura ONE Edition 2 Limited Edition"?

As to hints in the firmware, there wasn't anything in the last released firmware. There is a "Walmart" release coming soon, so we can search that when it is out. But, I'd be stunned if a new device was released now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
For what it is worth Goodereader is reporting "There is a rumor going around the upstream supply chain that the Kobo Aura One Edition 2 will not only be waterproof, but it will also employ the Freescale IMX.7 dual core processor".

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-released-soon

I am hoping that the rumour is true.

Glen
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
According to https://www.bitfeed.co/page/kobo-ere...-kobo-aura-one

Quote:
For example, the test of the guarantor american list three types of eMMC for Kobo eReader KBN782, 8 GB and 32 GB, manufactured by Samsung and Sandisk. There is Wi-Fi n, a battery of 1200 mAh and a USB port with a supplied cable. The label simply called the Kobo eReader (N782), but it may be temporary, or a way to not reveal in advance the commercial name of the product.
The 1200 mAh battery strongly suggests to me we're looking at an Aura ONE update. The spec update for their flagship model makes sense, but I'll be surprised if the update proves significant enough to entice current Aura ONE owners to upgrade. I look forward to seeing some reviews.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
For what it is worth Goodereader is reporting "There is a rumor going around the upstream supply chain that the Kobo Aura One Edition 2 will not only be waterproof, but it will also employ the Freescale IMX.7 dual core processor".

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-released-soon

I am hoping that the rumour is true.

Glen
the only reason that rumor is going around is because they started it
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's a surprise. I figured if we hadn't seen one of these leaks before now, we weren't going to see another new device this year.

My bet would be an "Aura ONE Edition 2". Basically the Aura ONE but with the same CPU that the Clara HD has. The case might be updated to match the Clara HD. And hopefully an improved light.
I too think it is a replacement for the Aura One, which is why I called it the Aura Two.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Some more info from https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...mart-in-the-us

Quote:
It is important to note that all of the current generation of Kobo e-readers can only read ebooks and cannot be used to listen to audiobooks. None of the existing Kobo e-readers have Bluetooth functionality and lack a 3.5mm headphone jack. Kobo has just listed an unknown e-reader on the FCC today, it is rumored that it will be a second generation Kobo Aura One with audiobook functionality, but we will have to wait and see.
I'm very curious how much of a difference the new processor mentioned in earlier posts will make. As far as screen refresh speed is concerned, I was under the impression that the bottleneck has been the E Ink Carta technology itself for many years now. Perhaps audiobook support is what justifies or necessitates the new processor?
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post

I'm very curious how much of a difference the new processor mentioned in earlier posts will make. As far as screen refresh speed is concerned, I was under the impression that the bottleneck has been the E Ink Carta technology itself for many years now. Perhaps audiobook support is what justifies or necessitates the new processor?
Maybe better battery life?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I hope there's a more unique name than "Kobo Aura One Edition 2." Distinguishing between devices with such similar names can be challenging, for example, when searching for info via Google, or looking for covers on Amazon.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I see goodereader appropriated rcentros's pictures. I also noted that the number of comments jumped back to zero as I clicked on the goodereader link, so the comments are being actively monitored and deleted as Michael sees appropriate.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I see goodereader appropriated rcentros's pictures.
They do have a credit at the bottom of the article. But, I did find another blog using the same photos without any credit.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post

LOL that's just those fools repeating the rumor they invented
Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
They do have a credit at the bottom of the article. But, I did find another blog using the same photos without any credit.
No, I linked to rcentros's post in the very first paragraph. Was that not enough?

Edit: Do you know what - it isn't. I went ahead and gave rcentros a standard image credit as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No, I linked to rcentros's post in the very first paragraph. Was that not enough?

Edit: Do you know what - it isn't. I went ahead and gave rcentros a standard image credit as well.
Nate: My apologies for doubting you. I didn't look at any of the links as I assumed they were all to Walmart or another of your posts. But, I agree the image credit was needed.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Nate: My apologies for doubting you. I didn't look at any of the links as I assumed they were all to Walmart or another of your posts. But, I agree the image credit was needed.
it was still a good point - I've been given a similar amount of credit before, and was unhappy about it