Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
JonathanH
Enthusiast
JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kindle Touch
Write-in campaign claims that no readers were harmed by the agency model

Segments of the publishing industry are urging their constituents (employees?) to write to the Department of Justice and protest the lawsuit over the agency model. The latest to join in is the head of one of the New York literary agencies, who claims that even if collusion occurred, the public wasn't harmed because books are fungible.

As Joe Konrath points out, no-one in this writing campaign seems to be urging their customers (you know, those of us who actually buy and read their products) to join in.

So anyone who is miffed because the NYT bestsellers suddenly went up from $9.99 to $12.99 might want to add their voice and write to the DOJ Joe has the address halfway down his blog post...
JonathanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Interesting a publisher claiming that books are fungible. Surely he doesn't want people to take him seriously. If we did, then why would anyone pay $10 or even $5 for a book? If they are fungible, that means any book will do, so wouldn't we just buy 99 cent books? After all, he's saying that the 99 cent book is just as good as the $9.99 book. We don't pay once price for a bushel of corn and a different price for a different bushel of corn, corn is interchangeable. If we each have a bushel of corn, and by accident, they get switched, we probably wouldn't even notice, or if we did notice, we probably wouldn't care. But if our books were switched, we would probably care.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanH View Post
who claims that even if collusion occurred, the public wasn't harmed because
He should probably read up on the laws surrounding collusion* before making that statement, since, afaik, it doesn't matter if anyone was harmed or not, nor whether it was done for the good of consumers, collusion is just collusion

To an extent books are interchangeable, but that's mainly when looking for new authors in a given genre. As far as your favourite authors though, the books are certainly not interchangeable and if all your favourite authors happen to be part of the agency pubs...

* Since IANAL it's also very likely I should be the one reading up on the laws

Last edited by JoeD; 05-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Fungible, huh? I had to look that up. And I beg to disagree. I personally would be very unhappy if you replaced my Lord of the Rings trilogy with any number of Harlequin romances. No insult intended to the romances, it just doesn't seem to me that they are interchangeable.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
no, of course Lord of the Rings isn't fungible with a romance - but then, romance books within the genre aren't fungible either. If "any book will do" is true, then there wouldn't be so many review sites, recommending good books and dissing bad ones. Even within an author, books aren't fungible. The Witness by Nora Roberts isn't interchangable with "The Pagan Stone", also by Roberts. Each book is unique.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Wait, so only "the prices for a limited number of titles published by these publishers increased"? Can he point me to any that DIDN'T increase? Everything I read (and I don't read best sellers) shot up.

And my books are NOT interchangeable. I read all kinds of works, but one book isn't just like another.

Is anyone else going to fire off a letter?
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
Fungible, huh? I had to look that up. And I beg to disagree. I personally would be very unhappy if you replaced my Lord of the Rings trilogy with any number of Harlequin romances. No insult intended to the romances, it just doesn't seem to me that they are interchangeable.
And vice versa. I got bored about half way through, but most of the arguments being made are totally nonresponsive to the DOJ suit. It appears to be a campaign of confusion, IMHO. It boils down to $9.99 vs 14.99 (what bestseller have you seen at 12.99 - I see more at 16.99 and even 18.00).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Readers who are for the DOJ settlement can write in here...
http://support4settlement.wordpress.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I wonder if fungi are fungible.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Well yeah, no readers were physically harmed by the agency model, but they (we) sure were impacted financially.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
There can only be one reaction to the claims made by this campaign:

howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post

I shudder at the notion that books are fungible, but it seems to me that a lot of people on MR DO think books are at least borderline fungible. How many MRers say they don't need to read the best-sellers and the Agency books because they can find adequate substitutes for free or rock-bottom prices?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I think its a great example of open government that people can write in to the DOJ on this issue and I urge all those who are truly concerned to write in.
I think it likely that the outcome will determined mostly by the results of discovery and the findings of the economists hired by the parties.
The letter goes far beyond any claim that books are fungible. As always, click through and RTWT
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Another letter opposing the settlement by an independent publisher HERE.

Money quote:

Quote:
The current system of traditional publishing is not a business with high profit margins, and it is far from perfect. But it does enable multiple companies to pay a variety of editors, writers, designers, and marketers to discover, perfect and promote a broad mix of written works that merit publication. The money that supports this system comes through the individual purchase of commendable books, reasonably priced. It is not a business sustained by advertising revenues, by the sales of other vehicles (such as e-readers), or by a system of patronage.

In other words, the book publishing business relies on reasonably priced individual products, sold to individual readers, for its survival.

Amazon is a behemoth. If it is able to set any price it wants for the products it distributes–books published by companies with whom it is competing, through the Amazon Publishing Division–Amazon will drive book prices so low reputable publishers will go out of business.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
You have to laugh when you read the publisher comments. Who do they think they are fooling?
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote