Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
What is BEST format to read novels in??

I am new to eBooks, and have just bought a PB302. I have not received it yet, but already I have downloaded heaps of books. I have loaded in Calibre and while slow and clunky, it does seem to work ok.

My first issue is that there are so many formats! Some books come is 4 or 5 formats. So which one is the preferred one? Or is it just personal preference?

A lot of books come in PDF format, which I assume is going to be a problem for such a small ebook reader (PB302). I have tried the PDF conversion function in Calibre, but did not like it at all. I am currently using Calibre as my reader (in Windows), and the converted files are not good. Too many line feeds, for a start. From this, I am guessing that PDF is not the preferred format.

I mainly want to read novels. No technical manuals.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Im agree pdf format blows, and do to shoddy publisher conversions drm'd e pub can leave a lot to be desired too. Ive had the best luck with plain text and when I have a choice of free book format I like mobi the best.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
I am new to eBooks, and have just bought a PB302. I have not received it yet, but already I have downloaded heaps of books. I have loaded in Calibre and while slow and clunky, it does seem to work ok.

My first issue is that there are so many formats! Some books come is 4 or 5 formats. So which one is the preferred one? Or is it just personal preference?

A lot of books come in PDF format, which I assume is going to be a problem for such a small ebook reader (PB302). I have tried the PDF conversion function in Calibre, but did not like it at all. I am currently using Calibre as my reader (in Windows), and the converted files are not good. Too many line feeds, for a start. From this, I am guessing that PDF is not the preferred format.

I mainly want to read novels. No technical manuals.

Try the converted PDF files on the 302. U can not take the calibre text flow as it is on the PB.
When u choose FBreader to view the files on the PB it takes its own algorithm to view the file. It ignores i.E. most of the tags when viewing.
So it look different.
Also play with the calibre conversion setting, I read all my novels in EPUB format. Converted out of a PDF-EPUB conversion with calibre.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Hello

PDFs are possibly the worst format to read with, especially text (novels and essays alike!), if you don't have a proper "grand format" reader. You might prefer ePub or FB2, which are more adaptable to personal settings (change of font size, for example). If I can ask, what are your ebook sources?

Have fun with your new reader
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookster View Post
Hello

If I can ask, what are your ebook sources?
Just downloads. No online store.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Just downloads. No online store.
So, if you don't have DRM issues with downloads (I suppose PG and similar sites), you can always try conversion with Calibre and then evaluate what format gives you more ease. This way you can also choose the font, by installing the appropriate files in a subdirectory of the system directory, in the reader.
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
As I said in another thread ("Bookmark glitches") I've only had my PB360 for a week or so and have had bookmark and freezing (return to Start page) from the beginning. I read stuff converted by Kalibre, usually from PDF to Epub. Let us know if the 302 has the same problems. I'm thinking of sending mine back for repair. It's VERY frustrating to keep losing your place, because it's MUCH harder to find it again as opposed to a paper book. This should definitely not happen. I did not pay 240 euros to get this frustration!!
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
As I said in another thread ("Bookmark glitches") I've only had my PB360 for a week or so and have had bookmark and freezing (return to Start page) from the beginning. I read stuff converted by Kalibre, usually from PDF to Epub. Let us know if the 302 has the same problems. I'm thinking of sending mine back for repair. It's VERY frustrating to keep losing your place, because it's MUCH harder to find it again as opposed to a paper book. This should definitely not happen. I did not pay 240 euros to get this frustration!!
md, please try to use 14.2 if you want a rock steady system!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
I am using 14.2 and have never tried to change it, but as I reported in "Bugs" I still have the problem. Twice today in 5 hours of simple page-turning -- no change of reader, font, text size, or book. "Rock steady" it certainly is not. Schnitzel recommends I contact PB service. What do you think?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- PDF is not an ebook format; it's an electronic paper format. It's optimum display is on paper. Next best is a full-size computer.
2- rtf, doc, and html are document formats. FBReader does a good job with them but they're still suboptimal.
3- FB2, ePub, and PRC are true ebook formats designed from the ground up for reflow across multiple screen sizes and devices.
4- ePub has been corrupted with a fair amount of PDF-like features by the big publishers so you can end up with hard-wired formatting you can't override in Adobeviewer in commercial epubs. If you do your own conversion and/or read wth FBReader that should not be an issue. An epub is generally a renamed Zipped folder with fairly clean XML file using Open ebook schema and an included txt metafile. Conversion to other formats in the future should be painless. It is an excellent cross-platform format supported on pretty much everything except Kindle.
5- PRC is a clean HTML-based format but not 100% fully documented. The PB360 FBReaders don't do chapter breaks properly and often don't recognize the TOC. It is a very good cross-platform reader, though, supported everywhere except Sony and Nook.
6- FB2 is FBReader's native format. It is broadly used worldwide but not supported by any of the name-brand dedicated readers with commercial ebook store ties (Sony, Nook, Kindle, etc).

Pick your poison.
(I'd start with ePub, then try Mobi. Much as I like my PB360, I know it will not be my last ebook reader, so file portability matters to me.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
My vote is for epub, I feel it hits a sweet spot between functionality and cross platform support.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
s.g.
s.g. began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360, Kindle 4
Just a note regarding PDF:
PDF files are different, can be graphics base, can be multi-column layout, etc. which makes it next to useless on a 5" display.
However, *sometimes* it's just a tagged text which can be converted without problem with Calibre (1), Copy/Pasted (2) or even Saved-As Text (3) in Adobe Reader.
Thus, in addition to file format, also pay attention to its content format.
Hope it helps,
s.g.
s.g. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.g. View Post
Just a note regarding PDF:
PDF files are different, can be graphics base, can be multi-column layout, etc. which makes it next to useless on a 5" display.
However, *sometimes* it's just a tagged text which can be converted without problem with Calibre (1), Copy/Pasted (2) or even Saved-As Text (3) in Adobe Reader.
Thus, in addition to file format, also pay attention to its content format.
Hope it helps,
s.g.
Agreed, pdf is only real good if the layout is configured for the size of the device. When this is done correctly, nothing can beat PDF. For everyday novels that don't need a lot of difficult formatting, ePub rules.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #14
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
epub

I use epub as my main format for my PB360, and I am over all happy with it. It does occasionally have some issues, but not too frequently.

I agree with the others, that PDF's tend not to do well.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I convert everything to epub. I have a few PDF's but only because those specific PDF's had issues with converting.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote