Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Caryl
Caryl began at the beginning.

Device: Astak pocket pro
Pocket Pro tough case

I just got my Pocket Pro. I plan to take it on a 5 month long bicycle tour this coming summer. So it may see a fair amount of bouncing around. Does anyone have any suggestions for a really protective case to carry it in? I did find a neoprene padded one from Body Glove that fits the larger Sony reader. But I am hoping to find one that fits it better and is perhaps a bit sturdier.

Any suggestions?
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The one I purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
I just got my Pocket Pro. I plan to take it on a 5 month long bicycle tour this coming summer. So it may see a fair amount of bouncing around. Does anyone have any suggestions for a really protective case to carry it in? I did find a neoprene padded one from Body Glove that fits the larger Sony reader. But I am hoping to find one that fits it better and is perhaps a bit sturdier.

Any suggestions?
Dear Caryl:

Welcome. How did we miss you before on here. Thank you for becoming a part of our merry band!!

I work for Astak. As such, I heard other fertive cries for a better case and did a little searching and purchasing on my own wallet. I went to:www.stylzworld.com and purchased the case they say fits the Astak Pocket PRO! I did not want to recommend something that would not work.

The STYLZ case is buttery soft real leather, comes in 5 colors, runs $24.99, and is a bi-fold (meaning it has three panels). The third panel on one side holds SD cards and business cards and such. On the other side it uses a "hard pad" that takes advantage of the Pocket PRO's beveled edge around the screen. That pad fits halfway down the bevel and does the best job I have seen of protecting the screen. All three panels are in full luxurious English leather and it uses the same (new) clips to hold the Pocket PRO as the standard case does... which, in two words, is "VERY secure".

It took 9 days for the ordered cover to get to me. Stylz is not fabulous on customer service or answering even my emails. BUT... their case is oustanding.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Caryl

Hi Robert,

I just found this web site and joined in. That's why you haven't seen me before. I took a quick look at the Stylz. The only part of their web site working today is the front page. So I couldn't get beyond that first look.

I was wondering if I should look for something more like a hard shell case that zippers all around. In fact, I'd almost like to find a case that fits over the case that comes with the Pocketpro. Double protection so to speak and I can then use the leather case when I'm walking around town rather than riding the bike. The problem is I'll be carrying the pocket pro either in my rear panniers or up in my handle bar bag. If I don't have it fully encased I worry that the front flap will come open in the bouncing and things will then rub on the screen. And I may not be aware that it's come open. Plus things can get into the sides, keys, pens, pencils, other stuff which can rub on the sides. And, when stuffing things in the bags I might get over zealous. So I'm thinking a case that prevents me from accidentally trying to bend the reader might be wise as well. Have you seen anything like that around?

Currently I carry my digital camera in a Samsonite hard shell case and I added one of those static cling screen protectors. This seems to work reasonably well. So I was thinking about doing the same.

As an aside, I sent an email to Elliot the other day. I've asked him to request the ability to push and hold the 8 button so that a menu with 10 different font sizes comes up. That'd give a lot better spectrum of font sizes. He said he'd pass the suggestion on, but I just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks
Caryl
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Hi Caryl, glad you're happy with your pocket pro. A hard case that may be what you are after are the "electronic book armor" covers. You can find those at www.ecaddycase.com.

I don't have one, but apparently they are a hard(ish) cover yet still allows you to read your PP when in the case.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Hi Caryl, glad you're happy with your pocket pro. A hard case that may be what you are after are the "electronic book armor" covers. You can find those at www.ecaddycase.com.

I don't have one, but apparently they are a hard(ish) cover yet still allows you to read your PP when in the case.
http://www.ecaddycase.com/ecaddy.html

This does appear to be the hard-shelled case we've all looked for. It does mention the Astak EZ Reader, i.e., 6", so presumably the PP will fit. It is a Carrying Case, not a cover to read with. I'm going to keep my eye on it. If anyone buys one, let us know.

thanks Solicitous for the find.

AJ

I just went further on the screen, the cost is $24.95 (for those not used to US pricing, the tax and shipping and handling will be additional)

However, I did a measurement of my PP with my original PP case from Astak.. They list the inside dimensions, the hight is enough for the PP with room to spare, the width just goes beyond the strap, but the depth of the case is 1/2" and my PP with original case is 3/4". So it might not work with the PP in it's carrying case. Without the Astak case, I'm sure it would fit, but be loose.

I'm going to keep checking incase this company creates one for the smaller 5" devices.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 02-17-2010 at 09:29 AM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Caryl, I use the stock case, but toss it in a messenger bag. It gets tossed around a lot on my 4 hour daily commute. It hasn't opened yet. You could always toss a rubber band or two around it if you were worried about that.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Neither case will jolt loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
Caryl, I use the stock case, but toss it in a messenger bag. It gets tossed around a lot on my 4 hour daily commute. It hasn't opened yet. You could always toss a rubber band or two around it if you were worried about that.
Dear Caryl:

I understand the need. QIbHom had a good suggestion. Better than rubber bands would be those stetchable straps you can purchase at drug stores and bike shops. They have hooks on either end. We use to call them "stretchy jobbers".

However, both cases have VERY sturdy closure. The STYLZ case has a firm strap the size of a man's belt. It is very stiff so it will not come loose. I see no possible way that would ever come out. The standard case has a magnetic clasp. The magnet is very strong and I doubt would vibrate loose.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I recommend the CaseLogic case designed for the Sony 300, as seen here. It zips all the way around, has thick foam padding over the screen and is very solid. The PEz fits perfectly, with just enough space at the top to slide a finger in for the screen lock.There's also just enough space for headphones. The only thing I can't access is the rocker switch on the side. The case folds all the way back when unzipped, so I can hold reader and case in one hand. It's also easy to slip the reader out of the case for reading. My reader tends to travel with lots of sharp bits (keys, pens, etc.), so I need the protection from things sliding in and scratching it.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Caryl

Thanks for all the ideas. I found the Case Logic case for the Sony PRS 300 at Borders book store and the PP fits just fine. This looks like what I've wanted, very very sturdy with lots of padding around the edges. So even if it gets dropped (who would do that?) I think it'll be fine. This would mean leaving the original leather case at home during our travels. But, that's fine with us.

Robert: so far I've left the original plastic screen covering in place. Is it a static cling plastic? I'm wondering if I can just leave it for the summer. If it has any sort of adhesive I'd worry about dirt getting under it and causing scratches.

Also, is the mini USB port a standard USB port? There isn't any sort of cross wiring is there? I ask this because I have a battery charger from Gomadics that works with my HP IPAQ 111 and Motorola RAZR V3. This uses 4AA batteries to charge a device. The IPAq seems to use a standard USB port whereas the RAZR does not. So I had to buy 2 different mini USB tips for the battery charger. If the PP uses a standard mini tip I should be able to use the IPAQ tip to charge it as well.

Let me know.
Thanks
Caryl
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post

Also, is the mini USB port a standard USB port? There isn't any sort of cross wiring is there? I ask this because I have a battery charger from Gomadics that works with my HP IPAQ 111 and Motorola RAZR V3. This uses 4AA batteries to charge a device. The IPAq seems to use a standard USB port whereas the RAZR does not. So I had to buy 2 different mini USB tips for the battery charger. If the PP uses a standard mini tip I should be able to use the IPAQ tip to charge it as well.

Let me know.
Thanks
Caryl
Yes the USB port is standard. I have tried two diffrent cell phone chargers (Motorola and on for my ex's that I don't know the brand) and they both worked just fine.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have 2 generic mini-USB cables, they all wok the same as the Astak supplied one.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote